Ford Mondeo released

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Looks good (for a commoditized family sedan).

I think it looks good.  Better than any of the new sedans I have seen as of late, which there are plenty on the road.

Now is the perfect time to bring this car stateside, as there is a massive shortage of vehicles to buy, and you can sell this commoditized vehicle at or very close to MSRP, and few if any rebates.  I don’t see this chip shortage issue abating any time soon, so it would be nice to have more options. 

33 minutes ago, tbone said:

Now is the perfect time to bring this car stateside, as there is a massive shortage of vehicles to buy, and you can sell this commoditized vehicle at or very close to MSRP, and few if any rebates.  I don’t see this chip shortage issue abating any time soon, so it would be nice to have more options. 

Good suggestion tbone sir. Maybe for the U.S. market, Ford can offer Mondeo as hybrid only sedan for the short term before transitioning the product to BEV.

Regulatory and political issues unfortunately introduce difficulties in bringing this new Mondeo "as is" from the Chinese market into the U.S. market.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good suggestion tbone sir. Maybe for the U.S. market, Ford can offer Mondeo as hybrid only sedan for the short term before transitioning the product to BEV.

Regulatory and political issues unfortunately introduce difficulties in bringing this new Mondeo "as is" from the Chinese market into the U.S. market.

Again, Flat Rock is still sitting using about 1/3 of its capacity. I still hope Ford does the Fusion Active though instead of a conventional sedan. 

56 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Again, Flat Rock is still sitting using about 1/3 of its capacity. I still hope Ford does the Fusion Active though instead of a conventional sedan. 

It seems that Ford's strategy for its U.S. assembly plants is dead set against producing sedans or even something like Fusion Active, at least for ICE powered versions.

If Ford decides to bring Mondeo to the U.S. market, it will need to be imported from China.

Edited by rperez817

39 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

It seems that Ford's strategy for its U.S. assembly plants is dead set against producing sedans or even something like Fusion Active, at least for ICE powered versions.

If Ford decides to bring Mondeo to the U.S. market, it will need to be imported from China.

I hope Ford does not import any Chinese built vehicle into the U.S. Just not a smart move in these times when our relations with Russia/China are so precarious. And they are getting worse by the day. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I hope Ford does not import any Chinese built vehicle into the U.S. Just not a smart move in these times when our relations with Russia/China are so precarious. And they are getting worse by the day. 

Good points FordBuyer sir. While it would be nice if the U.S. automotive market was truly open and competitive, it has actually gone in the opposite direction in recent years. Add all of the geopolitical tensions you mentioned, and that means the chance of Ford bringing Mondeo to the U.S. in the next few years is close to 0%.

5 hours ago, tbone said:

I think it looks good.  Better than any of the new sedans I have seen as of late, which there are plenty on the road.

I will say with Flat Rock available and the design already done and drivetrains readily available and the higher market prices it seems like a no brainer to bring it here.  Unless doing so would compromise other more important programs.

• Like 3

Anyone translate Chinese?

webp

edit,

OK google translate helped me understand the above specs,

Top  row is previous Mondeo

Middle row is new Mondeo

Bottom row previous Taurus

Man, this new Mondeo is  just the ticket to replace Fusion and Taurus, it’s brilliant.

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I am sure they will also build it in Valencia for Euro markets

It's official: Nope:

The new Ford Mondeo unveiled yesterday in China won't be coming to Europe where sales of midsize sedans in the mainstream segment have been declining for years. Our colleagues at Motor1.com Germany got in touch with the Blue Oval's local branch and a spokesperson confirmed the "Mondeo" nameplate will only continue in the People's Republic.

https://www.motor1.com/news/561416/2022-ford-mondeo-not-coming-europe/

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Anyone translate Chinese?

webp

edit,

OK google translate helped me understand the above specs,

Top  row is previous Mondeo

Middle row is new Mondeo

Bottom row previous Taurus

Man, this new Mondeo is  just the ticket to replace Fusion and Taurus, it’s brilliant.

It's also almost the exact length and width of the final FG Falcon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, twintornados said:

I am sure they will also build it in Valencia for Euro markets

Ford previously said it is getting out of the midsize sedan market in Europe. The wagon version (there is another thread here on the wagon spy photo) will probably be in Valencia but too early to say. About 70% of Mondeo sold in Europe was wagon and 25% was hatchback. Sedan only accounted for roughly 5% of Mondeo sales in EU so not a surprise it won't come back. 

Just this month, VW also announced it will end production and sales of Passat sedan in Germany but the wagon will continue.

• Thanks 1