Ford Mondeo released

47 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Ford previously said it is getting out of the midsize sedan market in Europe. The wagon version (there is another thread here on the wagon spy photo) will probably be in Valencia but too early to say. About 70% of Mondeo sold in Europe was wagon and 25% was hatchback. Sedan only accounted for roughly 5% of Mondeo sales in EU so not a surprise it won't come back. 

Just this month, VW also announced it will end production and sales of Passat sedan in Germany but the wagon will continue.

I would think that the CUV/SUV segment is covered by Ford from top to bottom in just about every price range and Maverick covers the bottom. So if Ford is looking at any other segments that offer opportunity, then the Evos concept would be it. Best of both sedan and CUV segments being attractive and functional/practical. Fits those who don't want a sedan or generic CUV. There is room for the Evos. Cool name also...21st Century. I'm talking North America here, not Europe or China. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Not with Edge and Ecosport disappearing.

Thought the BS covered the subcompact CUV segment, especially if Ford offers a FWD stripped down BS. And thought retooled OAP is going to build a BEV that replaces Edge and Nautilus. And besides Escape S pretty much covers Ecosport SE price range and gets better fuel mileage. 

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

It's also almost the exact length and width of the final FG Falcon.

Correct, a lot of the guys that worked on CD6 Taurus came across from Ford Australia, this is clearly an evolution/ amalgamation of Mondeo with Taurus to make one good vehicle. I’m betting that the hip and shoulder room is line ball with Falcon (tweeter size) but again Ford does this crazy “China Only” thing…….

It’s such a shame that the Mach E electric frame couldn’t be used under this beautiful car…

Screen-Shot-2020-12-15-at-12.09.53-PM.jp

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Thought the BS covered the subcompact CUV segment, especially if Ford offers a FWD stripped down BS. And thought retooled OAP is going to build a BEV that replaces Edge and Nautilus. And besides Escape S pretty much covers Ecosport SE price range and gets better fuel mileage. 

Don't know why they would distill a BS by making it fwd and stripped down. But sure if it's feasible, but maybe Ford could bring the puma here to replace the EcoSport, and replace the evos with a modified evos with a more upright rear cargo area. Wouldn't count on either of those products coming here, but that's what I would do if it was economically feasible. 

9 hours ago, K270 said:

Just thinking out loud here. I wonder if thats the head light that'll be used in the next gen Mustang? 

Those headlights are appearing on everything coming out of China right now. If that design language makes its way over here, I would imagine ford would want something different on the mustang. If it’s not coming here, then I could totally see them using those headlights on a mustang.

• 3 months later...

Ford Middle East released the new Taurus... which is rebadged Mondeo.

Ford had been selling the previous gen Taurus in the Middle East and the new Mondeo is actually about the same size as the previous Taurus and replaced both the old Mondeo and Taurus in China.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/all-new-ford-taurus-engineered-to-withstand-heat-sand-of-middle-east/

All-New-Ford-Taurus-Middle-East-Offical-Photo-Exterior-004-Rear-Three-Quarters.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think this is the first I'd seen it without a full width screen, no?

image.thumb.png.6fea1614eb4827572dc588a88e419347.png

It's a shame they couldn't make the math work for a single sedan each for Ford and Lincoln (this and Zephyr).

Apparently ford has considered bringing the zephyr here, and is also thinking about developing another affordable sedan according to ExplorerDude. Not sure if they've committed to that or not. 

The biggest problem with sedans is they’re somewhat ubiquitous in terms of styling and features.  Other than high performance powertrains there isn’t much to separate one from another and therefore hard to charge a premium which leads to price wars and low margins.

Just look at Bronco Sport/Bronco/Maverick/Ranger/F150 and all the options and special trims and appearance packages.  You just can’t do that on sedans.

17 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think this is the first I'd seen it without a full width screen, no?

image.thumb.png.6fea1614eb4827572dc588a88e419347.png

It's a shame they couldn't make the math work for a single sedan each for Ford and Lincoln (this and Zephyr).

I really think th add that within 5-10 years Ford will have at least 2 sedans in N.A. It's only a matter of time, especially if fuel prices remain high for rest of decade and CUV/SUV segment gets more crowded. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

The biggest problem with sedans is they’re somewhat ubiquitous in terms of styling and features.  Other than high performance powertrains there isn’t much to separate one from another and therefore hard to charge a premium which leads to price wars and low margins.

Just look at Bronco Sport/Bronco/Maverick/Ranger/F150 and all the options and special trims and appearance packages.  You just can’t do that on sedans.

Ford suspended sedans in N.A., they didn't end them forever. The fact that Ford is keeping sedans current in much of the world means they can bring them back here anytime. With high fuel prices, probably sooner than later. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford suspended sedans in N.A., they didn't end them forever. The fact that Ford is keeping sedans current in much of the world means they can bring them back here anytime. With high fuel prices, probably sooner than later. 

High fuel prices won’t drive sedan sales.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

High fuel prices won’t drive sedan sales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Good points FordBuyer. The return of Ford sedans in N.A. will probably coincide with the expansion of Ford's BEV lineup in those markets.

It would be interesting if Ford introduces the Mondeo nameplate to the U.S. and Canada with a BEV sedan and re-introduces that nameplate in Mexico after a 15+ year absence there.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

So keep it limited to an upper middle trim and a top trim, and whatever you sell you sell.

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I really think th add that within 5-10 years Ford will have at least 2 sedans in N.A. It's only a matter of time, especially if fuel prices remain high for rest of decade and CUV/SUV segment gets more crowded. 

I too think we'll see it once they get BEV platforms sorted out.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good points FordBuyer. The return of Ford sedans in N.A. will probably coincide with the expansion of Ford's BEV lineup in those markets.

It would be interesting if Ford introduces the Mondeo nameplate to the U.S. and Canada with a BEV sedan and re-introduces that nameplate in Mexico after a 15+ year absence there.

The Mondeo name means nothing here.  They'd give it the Fusion name again.

CUV don't have much of a MPG penalty over cars. People didn't abandon cars because of low fuel prices - they stopped buying them because they don't like cars. High fuel prices is not going to change that. People will just buy smaller CUVs if they had to.

• Like 5

On 4/28/2022 at 7:49 AM, akirby said:

True, but something like a mustang sedan would be drastically different than a fusion or Tarus in terms of design, driving dynamic, and tech. If Ford wants to get back into the sedan game, performance sedans are the way to go imo. Fewer competitors, and the products are more aspirational, making it easier to justify premium prices for them. 

• Like 2

Cadillac's Alpha platform RWD sport sedans have been flops, and I would prefer Ford not bother with this declining segment in North America. It will be interesting to see how Dodge Charger does when the new model with electrification debuts in two years 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

CUV don't have much of a MPG penalty over cars. People didn't abandon cars because of low fuel prices - they stopped buying them because they don't like cars. High fuel prices is not going to change that. People will just buy smaller CUVs if they had to.

No one is talking about bringing back a full lineup of Ford sedans. My Escape is probably closer to a sedan than a CUV with its lower profile and resulting higher fuel mileage. Basically a Focus Hatchback slightly raised. The possibility of a Fusion Active has been there last couple years and basically be Ford's one sedan offering. A performance based 4 door sport sedan would be Lincoln's using Mustang platform. And Ford should still bring the Puma over here that looks like a smaller, cuter Escape. 

• Like 1