Rooftop spoilers for towing

Why did they start and stop using rooftop spoilers on towing trucks thar were all the rage in the 80's and 90's?

They were either not a benefit or not enough of a benefit to deal with the extra height weight and penetration issues on your truck... or was it because the trucks of that era needed every little bit of help they could get pulling a heavy load?

I was scrolling through Facebook Marketplace and saw a truck that had one and thought I have not seen one of these on the road in years.

So who's going to be the first one to put one on their 22???

Screenshot_20220120-221240_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220120-221232_Gallery.jpg

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Older 5th wheels are blunt faced, even finding their way into the early 2000's when you start to see a shift to more aerodynamic designs.

Looking at the design of those roof top air deflectors, while they would do the task of moving air up, however the amount of turbulence they create would do more harm than good. The nose of the 5th would have to be dangerously close to it to be actually useful.

But in the end, I think you are right! They needed all the help they could get.

Trucks were boxes, with questionable power plants, towing relatively heavy loads, that are also glorified parachutes!

All true and I look at power levels of trucks mostly diesels from mid 90s till now.

First PS in 94 was 210 hp 425 ft-lb tq.

Debut duramax 235/500 Whats today's ps 475/1050. 

Talking gassers last 460 was 245/400. Popular gm heavy half with the thirsty 6.0L was 300/360. Today's 7.3 =430/475 and 6 more gears. 

Hook up a new diesel to a rv and it will pull it windy, don't matter. 

Edited by Power Kid

Unless the fairing goes all the way back to the trailer, it's essentially worthless.  With the large gap, all those do is create turbulent airflow, which actually increases drag.  

If there are gains, it's minimal at best and won't make up for the price to install them.  Look at the fairings on semis now.  They reduce the gap between the tractor and trailer, and span the length of the trailer.  The ones sticking out from the back are there to smooth the transition of air coming off the back of the truck and reduce drag.  All those things add up to maybe a 5% fuel savings at best.  For you and me, we will never recoup the cost of installation.  For a trucking company that has a fleet of dozens of trucks running every day of the week, it could save a lot of money. 

I have a bud used to run a gm 2500 w 6.0L on his annual summer rv trip.  He would achieve better mpg with his, but he ran a TT not a 5er. Plus this was a 800+ mile trip not a wknd run. For him it made sense. Most it would not. I guess when I was a kid we had one on the station wagon too but quite a gap from SW to top of the TT.