Dual Batteries

Truss57

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Pauljbouda said:

How hard do you think it would be to add a second battery after delivery?

I'd say if you don't have an electrical schematic for your truck year, are not very skilled in electrical systems, can make wiring harnesses and know how to integrate into an existing system, install battery tray, add fuse or relay circuits, it will turn out to be a mess.  Not to mention your warranty will be voided.  Electrical fires have occurred on unmodified trucks so if you had an electrical fire and your insurance company discovered the electrical system was modified, they will most likely deny a claim and you may get nothing. The only real reason for dual batteries is diesel engine starting current draw or loaded trucks that have a ton of accessories, so adding a second battery will be no advantage.  If your engine is running, the alternator has all the capacity to keep up with all electrical demand allowable thru configured accessories.  First question you should ask is, why do I need more battery capacity?  If you really need two batteries, need to buy it already included, entire electrical system is a system design, and the wiring harnesses are probably completely different for trucks with dual batteries vs. single.  Sorry for being Debbie Downer but some things should not be modified and in my opinion, adding dual batteries to a new Super Duty would be a bad idea, but I've been proven wrong before so take my advice with a grain of salt.

787Toolman

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

I'd say if you don't have an electrical schematic for your truck year, are not very skilled in electrical systems, can make wiring harnesses and know how to integrate into an existing system, install battery tray, add fuse or relay circuits, it will turn out to be a mess.  Not to mention your warranty will be voided.  Electrical fires have occurred on unmodified trucks so if you had an electrical fire and your insurance company discovered the electrical system was modified, they will most likely deny a claim and you may get nothing. The only real reason for dual batteries is diesel engine starting current draw or loaded trucks that have a ton of accessories, so adding a second battery will be no advantage.  If your engine is running, the alternator has all the capacity to keep up with all electrical demand allowable thru configured accessories.  First question you should ask is, why do I need more battery capacity?  If you really need two batteries, need to buy it already included, entire electrical system is a system design, and the wiring harnesses are probably completely different for trucks with dual batteries vs. single.  Sorry for being Debbie Downer but some things should not be modified and in my opinion, adding dual batteries to a new Super Duty would be a bad idea, but I've been proven wrong before so take my advice with a grain of salt.

787Toolman

Appreciate the insight…you make some very valid points 

2 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

If your engine is running, the alternator has all the capacity to keep up with all electrical demand allowable thru configured accessories. 

Not always the case! Surge loads can kill alternators, even on "as-configured" or OEM anticipated loads.

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

First question you should ask is, why do I need more battery capacity?  If you really need two batteries, need to buy it already included, entire electrical system is a system design, and the wiring harnesses are probably completely different for trucks with dual batteries vs. single. 

In my experience, this is simply an additional heavy cable as some trucks even charge from the same terminal. Certain OEM packages may have the second battery tied to a specific draw (IE: Snow Plow prep, camper prep, ect). That is just as simple, with only an additional wire or two needed.
Camper use is a very common example of why you would want to install a second battery where one may not exist currently.

• Thanks 1

I know this thread topic was originally asking which side of the truck the secondary battery is located.  I'm not certain but I know they can't both be on the same side, instead one is located on each side.  I have a 2017 service CD and below are the 4 pages for 2017 F350 with 6.2L gas with one and two batteries and 6.7L diesel with dual batteries and one and two alternators.  Doesn't show dual alternators for 2017 for gas engine.  Diesel trucks always have dual batteries and one or two alternators, gas trucks can have optional dual batteries but single alternator only.  Since this is slightly dated info, the 7.3L gasser might be different and later models could also be different, but this info is the basis for this generation of Super Duty Trucks starting in 2017.  I'll look to see if F250 is same as F350, but I assume for now they are exact same.

787Toolman

image.thumb.png.fec94457ce21393a84b4ad2e2410bb08.png

image.thumb.png.b54907e73113016d312fa66984a161d2.png

image.thumb.png.c882c30f180001680da2bf7470fb61ac.png

image.thumb.png.20f63eb395369c4ab6e2345c00c476d5.png

• Like 1

Dual batteries is a meer novelty for MOST people that buy the option....

with that being said-

If you have a high current draw use...cranking amps, massive winch for work, massive inverter where you are powering multiple power tools, power outage situations, off grid camping/dry camp recharging dual 6v or 14v lithiums,

240vac limited use inverter for 

...well whatever.

(Pun intended...heheheh???)

Dual batteries and dual alternators have a great use...

If you are not doing any of that..... the Dual batteries and dual alternators really don't have any benefit, except make some people go....ohhhhh ahhhhh???

But...... if you do lose a battery you can still use your truck with your other battery (stipulations) and same with the alternator oh, that one goes one will run the truck(stipulations)

Edit:

Also if you are planning on having a procharger the second alternator will have to be removed... I will be removing the second alternator on my truck and see if I can machine out bracket oh, and find a spot to remount it..... the machining and belt change is not a problem. I have not looked yet but I fear the worst on just finding a place to mount the second alternator. If there is a spot it probably end up being the most ridiculous bracket design ever???

Although if I machine out 20 extra... I can probably use these brackets to pay for my ProCharger???

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

I have ran gas trucks with single battery/single alternator for years, operating a 950lbs snow plow without issue, and that is a big power draw.  I did not want dual batteries/alternator on my new truck, but it was required when I added the upfitter switches I believe.  Funny that the plow/camper package didn't require it but the switches did.  I'm tempted to remove the extra alternator and battery, as it seems unnecessary to me.  I would have to check again, but I believe the two alternators looked different, so even If I removed one and stored for a while, it may not bolt on to the other bracket when the other alternator quits working someday

Edited by Kory04

2 hours ago, BigUnixGeek said:

The Order Guide is the authority on such things, and the current one is always available in the "Production and Sales" forum on this very web site.

They’re actually all posted in the dealer order guide section at the top of the page.

All,

I ran across this in 2022 order guide, not dual battery specific per se but kind of related since it's the alternator selection for each model and engine choice along with certain options that dictate which alternator is used, when dual batteries are used.  This table may actually provide the clearest understanding of when single or dual alternators result from trim choice, engine choice, option selection including dual batteries and how each is packaged.

787Toolman

image.thumb.png.785f2cfba7697c585feac945b32d1d13.png

On 2/17/2022 at 8:51 AM, Kory04 said:

I have ran gas trucks with single battery/single alternator for years, operating a 950lbs snow plow without issue, and that is a big power draw.  I did not want dual batteries/alternator on my new truck, but it was required when I added the upfitter switches I believe.  Funny that the plow/camper package didn't require it but the switches did.  I'm tempted to remove the extra alternator and battery, as it seems unnecessary to me.  I would have to check again, but I believe the two alternators looked different, so even If I removed one and stored for a while, it may not bolt on to the other bracket when the other alternator quits working someday

Just curious why you feel strongly against dual batteries and alternators? Except for the additional things to break down.