18" vs 20" vs 21" Wheels for the Nautilus

Been thinking of ordering a Nautilus reserve, with , V6 AWD, and a few more packages.

When keeping with the 200A package and a few more options, I think I can stay with the 18" wheels.

What I wish to ask is, there a big difference in ride and performance between the 18", 20" and 21" for the Nautilus.

Also, any difference in handling pot holes or other construction hazards.

Not seeing a huge difference (today) in the price between all three, about $11.00 for each size up.

If anyone sees anything I'm forgetting, please let me now.

Thanks,

The 21s suck.  There are only a few tire models in that size and the factory tires get super loud after 25k miles.  They ride fine on decent pavement but aren’t great on bad roads.  Not recommended.

The 20s seem to be better and that’s probably what we’ll end up with when we order a 23 later this year.  18s would be even better but we want a reserve so that’s out for us.

I fully agree with Kirby.  
I had a 2019 Nautilus with the 20s and the ride comfort and quietness was great.  
The 2021 I got in September has 21s, they give the car a stiff , and jarring ride on even the smoothest roads, get them on a back road and they are awful.  Noisy as well.  I have had two MKXs both with 18s and were the best.  I have Michelin 18inch X Ice snows on my 21Nautilus at present.  I am seriously considering changing tire size in the spring.  

Using the 2022 Lincoln Nautilus Order guide.

I was thinking of:

Nautilus Reserve

Lincoln Co-Pilot360™ 1.0 Plus Package - 52C $2,500

Luxury Package - 87A  - $2,000
     • Hands-Free Liftgate
     • Phone As A Key
    • Revel® Audio System with 13-Speakers

As far as I can tell, this would or should cover all the Reserve 1 package minus the 20" Rims.

I would also add:

2.7 V6, AWD and paddle shifters.

Cargo Utility Package - 51U

Class II Trailer Tow Package - 53G

Spare tire

Splash Guards

Flight Blue or Burgundy Velvet

Let me know what you think if this would be very close to the Reserve 1, looks like saving about $200 from the Reserve 1 package.. 
I'd love to have the  Full LED Multi-Projector Headlamps (in Reserve 2) but I'm not dropping $10K (not including the V6/AWD) just for that and 21" Rims I definitely don't want..

6 hours ago, jniffen said:

Using the 2022 Lincoln Nautilus Order guide.

I was thinking of:

Nautilus Reserve

Lincoln Co-Pilot360™ 1.0 Plus Package - 52C $2,500

Luxury Package - 87A  - $2,000
     • Hands-Free Liftgate
     • Phone As A Key
    • Revel® Audio System with 13-Speakers

As far as I can tell, this would or should cover all the Reserve 1 package minus the 20" Rims.

I would also add:

2.7 V6, AWD and paddle shifters.

Cargo Utility Package - 51U

Class II Trailer Tow Package - 53G

Spare tire

Splash Guards

Flight Blue or Burgundy Velvet

Let me know what you think if this would be very close to the Reserve 1, looks like saving about $200 from the Reserve 1 package.. 
I'd love to have the  Full LED Multi-Projector Headlamps (in Reserve 2) but I'm not dropping $10K (not including the V6/AWD) just for that and 21" Rims I definitely don't want..

That appears to be correct.  We can’t do that because we want the 24-way upgraded seats so we’ll have to go Reserve I.  I agree on the ultimate package not being worth the cost in addition to the 21” wheels.

That is a nice configuration.  Very much the same as mine, minus the splash guards.  What color interior are you going with?  
My 21 is Black with Sandstone.  I would have ordered either of those two Color’s you are considering.  My dealer made me an offer I could not refuse to take the Black he had in stock over ordering one.  As this car came in 3 months late from estimates and the guy backed out and went with an Aviator.  

13 hours ago, escapeman said:

That is a nice configuration.  Very much the same as mine, minus the splash guards.  What color interior are you going with?  
My 21 is Black with Sandstone.  I would have ordered either of those two Color’s you are considering.  My dealer made me an offer I could not refuse to take the Black he had in stock over ordering one.  As this car came in 3 months late from estimates and the guy backed out and went with an Aviator.  

The black, light colors show dirt way too easily.

Planning a dealer visit this Saturday.  Funny thing, I need to take a Nati home to be sure it fits in my garage, not only lengthwise, but to be sure I can get out of it and the lift gate can be opened with the garage door down.

17 hours ago, akirby said:

That appears to be correct.  We can’t do that because we want the 24-way upgraded seats so we’ll have to go Reserve I.  I agree on the ultimate package not being worth the cost in addition to the 21” wheels.

The 24-way seats do look interesting, the last Ford I had with comfortable seats was the '96 Taurus LX Wagon, the two other Fords after that finally figured it out the bottom seat covers were cut to big, so its cushion  was sliding forward, giving thinner foam to sit on.

3 hours ago, jniffen said:

The 24-way seats do look interesting, the last Ford I had with comfortable seats was the '96 Taurus LX Wagon, the two other Fords after that finally figured it out the bottom seat covers were cut to big, so its cushion  was sliding forward, giving thinner foam to sit on.

We still have to do a test drive but just sitting in them in both a Corsair and Nautilus they felt pretty good even without a lot of adjustments.

Our 2016 reserve seats are pretty good - better than the cheaper trims and better than Edge.  But the seat bottom still feels a bit small to me like I’m sitting on the seat not in it.  Then again maybe that’s because I usually drive my F150.  But that’s also the main reason I want to try the Aviator.

8 hours ago, akirby said:

We still have to do a test drive but just sitting in them in both a Corsair and Nautilus they felt pretty good even without a lot of adjustments.

Our 2016 reserve seats are pretty good - better than the cheaper trims and better than Edge.  But the seat bottom still feels a bit small to me like I’m sitting on the seat not in it.  Then again maybe that’s because I usually drive my F150.  But that’s also the main reason I want to try the Aviator.

I'd love to have a Aviator, but it's just out of my budget.  (Will always favor a RWD leaning AWD. If I'm saying that right.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to drive a 2L 4 cylinder Nautilus on Saturday, they didn't have any V6s available, that they'd let me take home to make sure it fits in the garage.

It is a bit tight I must say..

Not sure why, but to me it rode more like a truck than a $60K luxury vehicle.  Felt many of the bumps in the road etc.

Didn't pay attention to the wheel size at the time, can't seem to find the vehicle on their website at this time..

2 hours ago, jniffen said:

I was able to drive a 2L 4 cylinder Nautilus on Saturday, they didn't have any V6s available, that they'd let me take home to make sure it fits in the garage.

It is a bit tight I must say..

Not sure why, but to me it rode more like a truck than a $60K luxury vehicle.  Felt many of the bumps in the road etc.

Didn't pay attention to the wheel size at the time, can't seem to find the vehicle on their website at this time..

If it’s a reserve it’s probably the 21s.  They’re good on smooth roads but not great on bad roads.  They also might not have lowered the tire pressure from shipping.  

If I had to re order my Nautilus today I would not order the V6 , as the standard 2.0 is just fine, in fact I found it quieter when driving  than my v6, and has plenty of power.  The only part I like about the V6 is it is smoother at idle , and the start stop.  I would also stay with the 20 s.  Much more comfortable a ride than the 21s on my current one, both smooth roads as well as broken pavement.  

On 2/14/2022 at 7:48 AM, akirby said:

If it’s a reserve it’s probably the 21s.  They’re good on smooth roads but not great on bad roads.  They also might not have lowered the tire pressure from shipping.  

I apologize for not mentioning it, but on the dashboard, it reported 31 lbs around.

Maybe going to check another dealer to see if the V6, being heavier, rides different compared to the I4.

8 hours ago, jniffen said:

I apologize for not mentioning it, but on the dashboard, it reported 31 lbs around.

Maybe going to check another dealer to see if the V6, being heavier, rides different compared to the I4.

Hi jniffen. I don't have the vehicle here to check the manufacturers placard for the correct tire pressure. However, 31PSI sounds as though the tires may have been pretty underinflated. Especially if the wheels were 20 or 21's.

Underinflated tires can certainly add to any strange ride perceptions, just as overinflated tires can.

And most Dealers are not regularly checking the tire pressures on their stock vehicles.

Let us know how you make out and good luck with your shopping.

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2017 I test drove two MKX's back to back.  One equipped with the 18" wheels and the other with 20" wheels.  You could tell the difference as soon as you left the parking lot, 18's rode so much better.  I asked the dealership to order a 2018 for me but they refused.  I believe they thought I would purchase one of the 2017's on the lot, which I did not.  So I did purchase a 2019 Nautilus, Black Label which come with the 21" wheels.  Wheels look great and the ride is fine but I believe 18's would improve the ride considerably, I will go from a 40 series sidewall to a 60.  I have had 18's on order from Ford for over 3 months now, from the Continental line.  Wheel style is the same as available on the Nautilus but it's a 20" on the Nautilus, Continental is an 18".  The Black Label center caps are from the MKC line, pressure sensors and lug nuts from the Nautilus line.

3 hours ago, T hawker said:

Back in 2017 I test drove two MKX's back to back.  One equipped with the 18" wheels and the other with 20" wheels.  You could tell the difference as soon as you left the parking lot, 18's rode so much better.  I asked the dealership to order a 2018 for me but they refused.  I believe they thought I would purchase one of the 2017's on the lot, which I did not.  So I did purchase a 2019 Nautilus, Black Label which come with the 21" wheels.  Wheels look great and the ride is fine but I believe 18's would improve the ride considerably, I will go from a 40 series sidewall to a 60.  I have had 18's on order from Ford for over 3 months now, from the Continental line.  Wheel style is the same as available on the Nautilus but it's a 20" on the Nautilus, Continental is an 18".  The Black Label center caps are from the MKC line, pressure sensors and lug nuts from the Nautilus line.

Hi T hawker. Just as an FYI: To keep the proper overall wheel diameter (for wheel-well clearance/fit and speedometer/odometer accuracy), you would need to go from a 40 series tire to a 50 series tire...assuming you keep the same tire width. 

You would not want to go to a narrower tire, so a 60 series tire would be too tall (by two sizes).

For each inch smaller in wheel size, we go one sidewall ratio size taller. So when downsizing from a 20" to 18" inch wheel, that would mean increasing sidewall ratio from a 40 to a 50 series tire. Again, assuming using the same tread width tires for both wheels.

Good luck.

48 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi T hawker. Just as an FYI: To keep the proper overall wheel diameter (for wheel-well clearance/fit and speedometer/odometer accuracy), you would need to go from a 40 series tire to a 50 series tire...assuming you keep the same tire width. 

You would not want to go to a narrower tire, so a 60 series tire would be too tall (by two sizes).

For each inch smaller in wheel size, we go one sidewall ratio size taller. So when downsizing from a 20" to 18" inch wheel, that would mean increasing sidewall ratio from a 40 to a 50 series tire. Again, assuming using the same tread width tires for both wheels.

Good luck.

Thanks bbf2530.  I will drop to a 235 width, that is actually the standard tire on Nautilus,  P235.60R.18 which is 2 tenths of an inch smaller then my current 21's.  Should do fine, i realize that i may loose some handling by dropping from P265 but not a concern. 

• 1 month later...

My wife just got a 2022 standard Nautilus with premium package and 18's. Rides great. (Once I got the pressure adjusted). For her the 2.0 L turbo engine is more than adequate. She (Me) didn't want AWD, so was pleasantly surprised at performance of standard engine with 8 speed auto. It is considerably more "peppy" than her previous 3.5 Edge with a 6 speed auto. This little engine has 280 ft lbs of torque at a low rpm. To me....the main advantage of the 2.7 is the dual injectors, where you probably wouldn't have to worry about carbon build up with port injection washing the intake valves. BTW....If we lived in hilly country, or in mountains where you lose power with altitude, would probably have a diffeent view on engine size. 

Edited by Ralph Greene
  • Like 1