Ah, the sound of V8s at speed

blksn8k2

Here's your fix until the season opens.

Jan 11 testing at Daytona. I especially like how the new cars sound with the exhaust coming out both sides of the car as opposed to driver side only on the old car. Sounds just like a 427 AC Cobra with side exhaust idling through the pits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IMSA-XJR9 said:

Unfortunately . . . no, not in the 24Hrs.  But there are 4 Mustangs (3 from PF Racing, and 1 from Kohr Motorsports) in the Michelin Pilot Challenge on Friday broadcast on Peacock.

It would have been fun if the GT and the C8 had existed at the same time, bringing the Ford vs Chevy debate to a whole 'nother series.

HRG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

It would have been fun if the GT and the C8 had existed at the same time, bringing the Ford vs Chevy debate to a whole 'nother series.

HRG

Agreed!  Rumors of new GT3 Corvette and GT3 Mustang for 2023 or 2024 . . . . we shall see.  I miss FMC not being in sports car racing or even having an engine in a spec chassis a la V8 and Ecoboost motors in Daytona Prototypes . . . though those were kind of ugly cars!  LOL! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 5:11 PM, IMSA-XJR9 said:

Agreed!  Rumors of new GT3 Corvette and GT3 Mustang for 2023 or 2024 . . . . we shall see.  I miss FMC not being in sports car racing or even having an engine in a spec chassis a la V8 and Ecoboost motors in Daytona Prototypes . . . though those were kind of ugly cars!  LOL! 

I love the sound of racing V8s, but check out the sound of Porsche 911Cup racers. It pierces your ear drums as they rev up past 8500 rpm. What a glorious sound. Very distinctive. 

32 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I love the sound of racing V8s, but check out the sound of Porsche 911Cup racers. It pierces your ear drums as they rev up past 8500 rpm. What a glorious sound. Very distinctive. 

I’ve driven a 911 GT3 in street guise and it redlines at 9000 and it sounds glorious when you wind it out.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

I’ve driven a 911 GT3 in street guise and it redlines at 9000 and it sounds glorious when you wind it out.

There are lots of You Tube racing videos that focus on 911 Cup Car sounds and no other race car sounds as good as them. You have to go back to F1 Cosworth V8 sounds to find sounds that piercing. Or Ferrari V10 and V12 F1 to get something that distinctive. All that great sound from a Flat 6 is impressive.

But Mustang V8s are up there with the best going even back to Fox Body 5.0s and that delightful burble exhaust note. Multimatic knows how to make a race car and look out Ferrari, Corvette, BMW, and Porsche. 

• Like 1

More recent Daytona 500 practice. Lots of garage activity showing new and not so new paint schemes. One big take away for me is how HUGE the turning radius is on these new cars. Seems like that could be an issue if a driver gets blocked into his pit stall. Might be a long wait...