5th Wheel Prep Package Kit is Available Online

787Toolman

Hello fellow late model Super Duty Owners and like me those that have 2022 trucks on order.  Many of us want the 5th wheel prep package installed at the factory on our new trucks but are having to delete it to get the trucks built in a reasonable amount of time.  I found the part number for the kit, best I can tell it's LC3Z5F057A.  I found a seller on eBay, a Ford dealer, that has them available right now and they show they have sold hundreds of them with freight included for $689.95.

17 thru 22 Super Duty OEM Ford 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package | eBay

I saw somewhere it takes 2 to 3 hours to install and probably only very handy folks should attempt as I'm sure it's not simple and requires special tools and skill.  I could do it but I've been doing stuff like this install all my life.

Hopefully this research helps someone get their truck sooner and allows them to get the 5th wheel prep package kit installed on their truck for immediate use.

787Toolman

Edited by 787Toolman
update labor time

42 minutes ago, FourCrazies said:

Might be worth if for some folks; I removed mine after my dealer just said this morning it could add on a 27 week extension to new orders.

yeah, my order was going to be delayed for 29 weeks due to 5th wheel prep, AS and spray in bed liner, removed those and got confirmed next day.

48 minutes ago, Cknox78 said:

5th wheel prep is done off site after truck is built  

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. Seems like a lot of extra work.  I can see how labor would be the hold up. If they build somewhere around 7000 trucks/day and if 20% get the prep package, that is a whole lot of labor required to install more than 1000 hitches per day

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kory04 said:

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. Seems like a lot of extra work.  I can see how labor would be the hold up. If they build somewhere around 7000 trucks/day and if 20% get the prep package, that is a whole lot of labor required to install more than 1000 hitches per day

It would slow down the line for all the regular trucks.  

4 hours ago, Forderorder said:

Sure it does, I think the bottleneck is the labor of the third-party who installs them.

Thanks for posting the video, Forderorder, I saw the video on a different thread posted by another member, and I came back to add it to this thread and saw you did it already, thanks...

4 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

I would think that is an assembly line install, not out sourced, but maybe not. I am sure ford installs the 5th wheel prep before the bed is set in place. It can't take much labor, as it doesn't cost that much.

Robin Hood, I guess it's a logical assumption to think the 5th wheel prep package could be installed on the assembly line until you watch the video and notice the hitch cross member has features that protrude thru the bed floor so the only way they could install the bed during truck assembly is if the clearance holes in the bed floor were already drilled first.  Now that I see how the install works, I understand why it would be done after truck build is complete.

787Toolman

On 1/28/2022 at 4:33 PM, akirby said:

It would slow down the line for all the regular trucks.  

That makes logical sense, but wouldn't it also make sense for the sun roof, and numerous other things?  Would it also make sense that the cost of lifting the bed and reattaching it is a waste of time and more expensive than just doing it while it's on the line?

Really curious if you KNOW it's done offsite, or if you're just reasoning that it makes sense.  I've seen other ppl say this one's done on the line.  I don't know who to believe.

25 minutes ago, BigUnixGeek said:

That makes logical sense, but wouldn't it also make sense for the sun roof, and numerous other things?  Would it also make sense that the cost of lifting the bed and reattaching it is a waste of time and more expensive than just doing it while it's on the line?

Really curious if you KNOW it's done offsite, or if you're just reasoning that it makes sense.  I've seen other ppl say this one's done on the line.  I don't know who to believe.

Unix,

You asked some really valid questions; I work on a large production line too but at a much slower rate.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:31 PM, 787Toolman said:

Hello fellow late model Super Duty Owners and like me those that have 2022 trucks on order.  Many of us want the 5th wheel prep package installed at the factory on our new trucks but are having to delete it to get the trucks built in a reasonable amount of time.  I found the part number for the kit, best I can tell it's LC3Z5F057A.  I found a seller on eBay, a Ford dealer, that has them available right now and they show they have sold hundreds of them with freight included for $689.95.

17 thru 22 Super Duty OEM Ford 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package | eBay

I saw somewhere it takes two hours to install and probably only very handy folks should attempt as I'm sure it's not simple and requires special tools and skill.  I could do it but I've been doing stuff like this install all my life.

Hopefully this research helps someone get their truck sooner and allows them to get the 5th wheel prep package kit installed on their truck for immediate use.

787Toolman

I saw a video on you tube and it took three hours for an experienced guy to install the kit. The entire box has to be unbolted and mechanically raised up in the air overhead to install the brackets and then lowered down. Holes have to drilled in the box with three different hole saws. Not a job I would want to do. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

You asked some really valid questions; I work on a large production line too but at a much slower rate.

I probably wouldn't be asking if I hadn't seen conflicting statements, specifically on the 5th wheel prep.  And maybe also because this could be where my truck is at this very minute.  VVR states "produced" and that was dated 1/25.  Nothing since then, on the VVR, as of yesterday -- not even "set offsite" like I seem to remember seeing from other folks getting a bed liner.

Still, only curious.  Not complaining.  Happy to see progress.

1 hour ago, BigUnixGeek said:

I know many things are done offsite but I do t have specific information.  I was answering why they would do something offsite.

• 2 months later...

I ordered my truck in mid Dec with the 5th prep. I'm taking delivery next week. There has been a lot of trucks that didn't have the 5th prep get pushed back the same amount of time I was. For me it was worth the extra time if any for the factory to do it. Just saying.