5th Wheel Prep Package Kit is Available Online

787Toolman

15 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

You don't need pucks...The B&W turnover ball accepts a B&W fifth wheel hitch.

A special B&W hitch.  If you already have a hitch (as I do, a B&W BTW) that goes into the pucks, you'd have to buy a new hitch to go into the turnover ball.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

A special B&W hitch.  If you already have a hitch (as I do, a B&W BTW) that goes into the pucks, you'd have to buy a new hitch to go into the turnover ball.

Yes, but a lot of people buying a new truck don't already have a puck hitch. You can also just buy the base for the drop in portion and use the head off your existing hitch B&W hitch.  It may not be a good option for you, but if I couldn't get the factory puck from the factory, then I would go with the B&W turnover ball system. Anyways...it is another option.

20 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

Yes, but a lot of people buying a new truck don't already have a puck hitch. You can also just buy the base for the drop in portion and use the head off your existing hitch B&W hitch.  It may not be a good option for you, but if I couldn't get the factory puck from the factory, then I would go with the B&W turnover ball system. Anyways...it is another option.

The puck system has been around for Ford trucks for 14 years (since the 2008 model year).  I'm sure there are lots of people replacing their trucks that already have a hitch.  But yeah, buying another hitch (or base) is an option if you want to drop another grand or so.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:11 AM, Jim61 said:

I saw a video on you tube and it took three hours for an experienced guy to install the kit. The entire box has to be unbolted and mechanically raised up in the air overhead to install the brackets and then lowered down. Holes have to drilled in the box with three different hole saws. Not a job I would want to do. 

The video I saw the guy was on his third and it took him an hour.  I'll do it myself and be surprised if it takes 2 hours. The B&W looks a lot more complex. 

If you buy the Ford kit online you can add $250 for dealer install  if you don't want to do it yourself.  That's about half what I was quoted by a shop that does a lot of them.

Edited by 4thTimer

4 hours ago, DrEvil said:

I have read that the OEM installed package includes a yaw sensor and some changes (presumably software) to the camera system. Does anyone know more about this? 

Looks like the yaw sensor is standard with advanced trac option, not 5th wheel prep.  AdvanceTrac is standard on all trims according to 2022 order guide.

image.png.2a98bf8d190f3383f1d232c1050e2bf3.pngimage.thumb.png.b30945ed556843e238767884c7c9b2bb.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

Looks like the yaw sensor is standard with advanced trac option, not 5th wheel prep.  AdvanceTrac is standard on all trims according to 2022 order guide.

There are two different yaw sensors.  One for the truck for stability control and another that mounts on the 5th wheel connection point.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

There are two different yaw sensors.  One for the truck for stability control and another that mounts on the 5th wheel connection point.

Huh?  You sure about that?  What connection point are you talking about?  I don't think there's a yaw sensor that mounts on any 5th wheel connection point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Huh?  You sure about that?  What connection point are you talking about?  I don't think there's a yaw sensor that mounts on any 5th wheel connection point.

Absolutely positive.  It’s some add-on package that also includes a trailer camera.  I’ll see if I can find the topic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Weird, I had no idea it came with a yaw sensor.  And I've got the freaking thing ordered on my '22 (that may never get built).

Trailer yaw sensor comes with pro backup.  If you get the trailer camera and TPMS, it all connects to a 12 pin connector

27 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

A yaw sensor is included as part of the stability control system.  Can anyone explain how it would help to have two yaw sensors?  The Super Duty does not articulate like a mining truck.

The main one measures yaw of the truck itself whereas the pro backup sensor measures the yaw of the 5th wheel.  It replaces the sticker and rear view camera on a conventional trailer both of which tell the computer where the trailer is and which way it’s moving.

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

The main one measures yaw of the truck itself whereas the pro backup sensor measures the yaw of the 5th wheel.  It replaces the sticker and rear view camera on a conventional trailer both of which tell the computer where the trailer is and which way it’s moving.

So it’s semi portable and attaches to the trailer?  That’s pretty cool if so.