Cryptic Lincoln Post

On 2/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, Jqa1824 said:

Wasn’t Lincoln founded in 1917?

The Lelands (Henry and Wilfred) founded Lincoln in 1917 to build Liberty V-12 airplane engines for the U.S war effort.

When World War I ended, they switched over to car production. The first Lincoln car was built in late 1920 (most likely as a 1921 model). Ford acquired the company in 1922. 

1 hour ago, grbeck said:

The Lelands (Henry and Wilfred) founded Lincoln in 1917 to build Liberty V-12 airplane engines for the U.S war effort.

When World War I ended, they switched over to car production. The first Lincoln car was built in late 1920 (most likely as a 1921 model). Ford acquired the company in 1922. 

Buying Lincoln was Edsel's idea which Henry never let Edsel forget. 

4 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

If there is such a car, Lincoln might designate it the "Mk XI," as there was an Mk IX concept,  and both Mk-X concept and production models.

But I like @silvrsvt's "Cornea"the best!

images.jpeg

lincoln-mark-x-concept-03-1.jpg

those were not “MK_” concepts, they were “Mark IX” and “Mark X”

and I particularly liked the X.  I think the idea was it could be a Thunderbird twin if I remember the timing correctly.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Or update this concept with better styling-

Lincoln Navicross

2003-lincoln-navicross-concept.jpg

I always liked that one.   They had some good concepts back in that era.

the only one we got was the “Aviator” concept which became the MKX.

The Mark IX Cencept is perhaps my favorite car design if all time. It was such a Shane they never made it.

An earlier poster said that Ford has a press conference scheduled for Chicago. What could it be for?

North American Ranger?

Facelifted Escape?

Fusion?  

7 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

If there is such a car, Lincoln might designate it the "Mk XI," as there was an Mk IX concept,  and both Mk-X concept and production models.

But I like @silvrsvt's "Cornea"the best!

images.jpeg

lincoln-mark-x-concept-03-1.jpg

Remember there were Continental Mark III, IV, and Mark V from 1957-59. They were reused.

Since those were concepts, it only makes sense to go back to Mark IX.

56 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

I doubt they’ll ever do a sedan again, but I always loved the MKR. 

Mulally was ready to build it (and the Interceptor) until he was told there was no platform to put it on.

It would've definitely helped Lincoln's image, though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My guess, with no real info to back this up, is that Lincoln put together this new EV quickly, at the same time as the Mach-E.  Given the Mach-E has turned out really well for the first real Ford EV, I'm betting the Lincoln will do just as well.

My point is since the 100 year anniversary is coming up, the new Lincoln EV will be named the Centennial.  Just throwing that name out there...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

My guess, with no real info to back this up, is that Lincoln put together this new EV quickly, at the same time as the Mach-E.  Given the Mach-E has turned out really well for the first real Ford EV, I'm betting the Lincoln will do just as well.

My point is since the 100 year anniversary is coming up, the new Lincoln EV will be named the Centennial.  Just throwing that name out there...

We are ready to trade our MkC on a Lincoln "Mach-e" right now, if they would only offer one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 92merc said:

Eh, with them throwing out the reported Rivan-based "Continental" recently, and not having a platform of that size at this point ready to go, I don't see them going that route yet.

I'd see that appearing once Explorer/Aviator BEVs (or rather their platform) arrive.

Whoops, I read your name as "Continental", not Centennial.

I could see them using that name for maybe a looking-forward BEV design concept, but not on a production model.  Ford has tended to stay away from pure design/non-production-intent concepts, though.

Edited by rmc523

On 2/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, FordBuyer said:

I would hope Lincoln dealers know a bit more as Nautilus leaves the scene leaving dealers with a 3 vehicle lineup. 

Nautilus is NOT leaving the scene. It’s sister the Edge is, but the Nautilus is being redesigned and the next gen will be built in China and imported here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/1/2022 at 11:43 PM, SoonerLS said:

Not everything. Convertibles were all the rage 'til the '60s; just about every model throughout most full-line automakers' lineups had a convertible variant, but for the last 40-50 years, 'verts have been very much the exception. Likewise, station wagons were a range-spanning staple for decades, but they've been all but dead for the last 30 years; if you put it on stilts and call it a crossover, it's ok, but calling it a station wagon is the kiss of death.

Even worse on the "wagon" front, if anything seems like a wagon, it is the kiss of death. At Chicago assembly, when building the Freestyle line workers routinely referred to it as a "wagon". Marketing types would be upset, but the workers saw it as the potential customers did. Production numbers did not recover until we started building Explorer. Granted much upgraded from Freestyle, but some similarities.

Only Subaru has managed to sell Outback as SUV when clearly a wagon.

2 hours ago, The Handler said:

Continental EV?

snapshot.jpg

The graphical elements and surfacing on the zephyr combined with more outlandish and eye-catching proportions would make a great continental design. The issue with the previous Continental was it didn't go far enough, it was too compromised and conservative. A ev version on a flexible skateboard architecture wouldn't have that issue.

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

Nautilus is NOT leaving the scene. It’s sister the Edge is, but the Nautilus is being redesigned and the next gen will be built in China and imported here.

I seriously doubt the bolded part. Maybe it will be built in China for the Chinese domestic market and select export markets (price of doing business in China) but I would think it is most likely that all other production for the US and all other markets will be North American production. That is the process most manufacturers of large products use when dealing with China.

3 hours ago, Flying68 said:

I seriously doubt the bolded part. Maybe it will be built in China for the Chinese domestic market and select export markets (price of doing business in China) but I would think it is most likely that all other production for the US and all other markets will be North American production. That is the process most manufacturers of large products use when dealing with China.

He’s not guessing.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, rmc523 said:

Mulally was ready to build it (and the Interceptor) until he was told there was no platform to put it on.

It would've definitely helped Lincoln's image, though.

"I love it. Build it"

"We can't"

"Why not?"

"Because the last guy tore up all our RWD platforms"

"So why build this?"

"To show the last guy what we could have done with a RWD platform"

?

• Like 1