Cryptic Lincoln Post

On 2/11/2022 at 4:21 PM, bzcat said:

Oh interesting... it says Aviator EV is headed to Oakville. Not sure if it is true but that could mean Ford scrapped plans to build MEB in North America as I mentioned in the other thread.

Corsair EV (MEB? - twin to the next gen Escape)

Nautilus EV (GE2 - twin to the next gen Mach E)

Aviator EV (GE2 - twin to the next gen Explorer)

Navigator EV (TE1 - twin to the next gen Expedition)

What's the 5th EV?

What about a sub-compact size EV. Something along the lines of an NX.

Ford version could be in the $30K range.

15 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

But the Bronco Sport costs more then the Escape. 

There is quite a bit of difference between the two--the BS is more rugged vs the Escape. Not to mention they'll share pretty much identical underpinnings for cost savings.

There is room for all three to be turned into BEVs

The main reason BS is more expensive is the standard AWD and lack of equivalent bottom feeding "S" trim. Otherwise the price follows the size with smaller Bronco Sport costing about 10% lower than the larger Escape.

Bronco Sport base AWD: $27,415

Escape SE AWD: $30,885

4 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

What about a sub-compact size EV. Something along the lines of an NX.

Ford version could be in the $30K range.

Corsair is the same size (and price) as NX

Perhaps you are thinking of UX? A comparable Lincoln would be a Lincoln badge version of Focus Active.

Edited by bzcat

17 hours ago, ehaase said:

I think a Maverick or Bronco Sport EV would be a more successful affordable Ford EV than Escape.  That's why I think Borg's comment may have credibility. Better for Ford to have something that can make money and stand out from the crowd than another commodity product. 

Except you can't keep abandoning segments as they continue to do over the years.  Why not make Escape stand out from the crowd?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Why not make Escape stand out from the crowd?

Opportunity cost. Ford would need to make a substantial investment in order to transform Escape into a product that "stands out from the crowd", especially as a BEV. That investment may have a better chance of long-term success with other products, brands, and services, such as Lincoln.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Except you can't keep abandoning segments as they continue to do over the years.  Why not make Escape stand out from the crowd?

It seems like the Hybrid, Plugin, and 2.0 Escapes are very good sellers for Ford and don't need huge incentives. The 1.5 Escapes seem to sit and need big incentives to move.

For example, Mullinax has 16 2021 Escapes in stock.....all of them 1.5s. Hybrid and 2.0s long gone with minimal incentives. The 1.5 just doesn't sell at $30,000+. It should only be in the S and SE and priced below $25,000. Or else upgrade the interior and give it more upscale look. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Opportunity cost. Ford would need to make a substantial investment in order to transform Escape into a product that "stands out from the crowd", especially as a BEV. That investment may have a better chance of long-term success with other products, brands, and services, such as Lincoln.

I think you're making it more drastic than it is.  You make it sound as if Ford is trying to sell a Pinto to today's customers.

20 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

The UX is what I was thinking about.

Hopefully something more along the lines of a Puma EV.

Lincoln version of Puma (~165" long) would be significantly smaller than UX (~177" long). They are in two different class segments - Puma is B-segment while UX is C-short.

UX which is basically a replacement for CT hatchback, except it is now marketed as SUV. So that's why I said the closest thing in Ford's portfolio to UX is Focus Active (~174" long). Bronco Sport is 173" long but taller.  

Ho, boy, does Lincoln need new product (or at least product availability). I'm sitting right now in the Black Label lounge of my Lincoln-only dealership in Maryland. I just bought out my Nautilus lease. The dealership is a product wasteland. They have nothing in their showroom. Outside it, they have exactly one Aviator (sold) and a late-model but used Navigator. 

While I have an order in for a MB GLE 450 to replace my Nautilus, I'm not 100% committed to going through with it. I might just hang on to the Nautilus for another year or two and see what Lincoln comes up with. I'd like to stick with an FMC luxury mid-sized 2-row crossover product, but they are making that a bit difficult. 

Edited by Gurgeh