Lincoln Brand Centennial

As of tomorrow, Lincoln will have managed to stay alive for 100 years as a division of Ford Motor Company. Henry Ford purchased Lincoln Motor Company from Henry Leland on February 4, 1922.

Lincoln Celebrates a Century of Elegance and Innovation, Looks Ahead to a Connected, Electrified Future | Lincoln Media Center

Edited by akirby

• ice-capades changed the title to Lincoln Brand Centennial
5 hours ago, Taurus SHO said:

Pretty cool ad, although I was hoping we'd see more in the way of concrete product, even if just a glimpse.  

In terms of upcoming Lincoln product announcements, the press release suggests they may be combined with announcements related to new "services and client experiences" for the brand. Also, as Lincoln becomes a China centric brand, many of the new products Lincoln has in store will emphasize that market. New Zephyr is an example.

Motor Trend is honoring Lincoln's centennial through its list "10 Greatest Lincolns Ever Made". These Are the 10 Greatest Lincolns Ever Made (motortrend.com)

1. 1936 Zephyr

01_1936_Lincoln-Zephyr.jpg

2. 1956 Continental Mark II

02_1956-Contiental-Mark-II_02.jpg

3. 1961 Continental

03_1961-Lincoln-Continental_01.jpg

4. 1968 Mark III

04_1969_Lincoln_Mark_III.jpg

5. 1984 Mark VII LSC

05_Lincoln_Mark_VII_LSC.jpg

6. 1990 Town Car

06_1990_Lincoln_Town_Car.-scaled.jpg

7. 1993 Mark VIII

07_1993_Lincoln_Mark_VIII.jpg

8. 1998 Navigator

08_1998_Lincoln_Navigator.jpg

9. 2000 LS

09_2000_Lincoln_LS.jpg

10. 2020 Aviator

10_2020_Lincoln_Aviator.jpg

• Like 1

The LS was a great car.  The interior was meh but it offered the very first selectshift option and that Jaguar V8, while underpowered, was silky smooth.  Too bad Jaguar prevented them from supercharging it and from upgrading the interior so as not to infringe on their market.  A LS with a 3.0L twin turbo V6 would have been a rocket ship.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, akirby said:

The LS was a great car.  The interior was meh but it offered the very first selectshift option and that Jaguar V8, while underpowered, was silky smooth.  Too bad Jaguar prevented them from supercharging it and from upgrading the interior so as not to infringe on their market.  A LS with a 3.0L twin turbo V6 would have been a rocket ship.

I was not a fan of the Lincoln LS or the LS based Thunderbird at all... didn't like the interior at all, was uncomfortable and the handling was poor. Just my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I was not a fan of the Lincoln LS or the LS based Thunderbird at all... didn't like the interior at all, was uncomfortable and the handling was poor. Just my opinion. 

Handling was the best part at least with the sport package.  Outhandled a bmw 540i IIRC.  But it wasn’t as compliant over bad pavement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The LS was a great car.

Yes sir. I owned a 5-speed manual V6 version for a short period of time.

Over 2 decades after it was first introduced, Lincoln LS still looks fresh and elegant. The design lead for LS was a German gentleman, Helmuth Schraeder.

Technically 105 years but 100 under Ford

I miss my 04 LS it was an absolute blast to drive.

I would add the original Model K as a top 10 Lincoln to that list that Motortrend has they were impressive cars for their day and helped put Lincoln on the map.

Here are some screen gabs I got from the commercial

Untitled-Project-00-01-37-21.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-38-20.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-44-05.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-45-02.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-45-19.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-51-21.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-52-01.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-52-05.png
Untitled-Project-00-01-52-11.png

Edited by Andrew L
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Here's the inaugural advertisement for Lincoln LS in summer 1998.

LS_ad.jpg

Years ago when I was shopping for an LS to replace my aging Mercury Sable I was trying to find one with a manual and just could not anywhere.  I ended up with a nearly fully loaded 04 V6 and added the selectshift from a V8.  Rare combo since most V6 models were base models but mine had almost everything except nav and heated rear seats.  Of course after buying a really rare LSE with a 5 speed manual popped up silver with black leather.  Downside was it had 75k miles where my 04 had under 20k

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Years ago when I was shopping for an LS to replace my aging Mercury Sable I was trying to find one with a manual and just could not anywhere.  I ended up with a nearly fully loaded 04 V6 and added the selectshift from a V8.  Rare combo since most V6 models were base models but mine had almost everything except nav and heated rear seats.  Of course after buying a really rare LSE with a 5 speed manual popped up silver with black leather.  Downside was it had 75k miles where my 04 had under 20k

Cool story Andrew L sir. The 2000 LS V6 5-speed I bought had about 186,000 miles on the odometer. The previous owners took good care of the car, but the rear subframe had significant issues a few months after I bought it and the repair/replace job for that was more than I could handle DIY.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Motor Trend is honoring Lincoln's centennial through its list "10 Greatest Lincolns Ever Made". These Are the 10 Greatest Lincolns Ever Made (motortrend.com)

1. 1936 Zephyr

2. 1956 Continental Mark II

3. 1961 Continental

4. 1968 Mark III

5. 1984 Mark VII LSC

6. 1990 Town Car

7. 1993 Mark VIII

8. 1998 Navigator

9. 2000 LS

10. 2020 Aviator

Very good list, but I would swap out the 2020 Aviator with the 2020 Continental (maybe even coach door version).  From a design standpoint, the Continental has thoughtful touches that the Aviator seems to lack a little (integrated door handles, brushed aluminum mirror supports).  I own a Continental and had an Aviator for a bit as a loaner, and the Continental just feels like a slight step above...like the design team spent effort in making it special.  The coach door Continental ups the ante to 11.

Edited by mustang84isu
  • Like 1

A couple other thoughts now that I am looking at the Top 10 photos again...

1. Was the LS photo a preproduction car?  I had a first gen LS, and of all the first gen LS's I have ever seen, I have never seen one with a red emblem.

2. There are three noticeable gaps in time for this Top 10 list...WWII (for obvious reasons), the Malaise Era, and the Aughts.  If this list were expanded to 12 or even 15, I could think of several models that should be added, especially the 1941 Continental, and I would add the 1949 Cosmopolitan Convertible and even a Mark VI or V.  However, I can't think of anything from the Aughts that is worthy of this list except for maybe the final 2011 Town Car, and only because it was the end of an era.  Lincoln really lost its mojo between the early-mid 2000's up until probably the 2017 Continental.  There were small steps such as the 2013 MKZ that started moving things in the right direction, but otherwise I can't think of much from that ~15 year span that will be "museum-worthy" in 30+ years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

even a Mark VI or V. 

Mark V I can get on board with many Mark enthusiasts say the V was the best one outside of the II.  I am guessing you mean IV (4) instead of VI (6).  Many consider the VI the worst Mark by far, it only lasted 2 years and offered 4 doors.  It didn't really offer anything different over the Town Car except hidden headlights.

Putting an LS on a 10 best Lincoln list is like putting a Vega on a 10 best Chevrolet list.   If buyers could accept the shoddy quality, cheap interior, poor ride, Mitsubishi styling, terrible transmission behavior,  sluggish performance combined with poor fuel mileage, they would find that the handling was good and the V8 was smooth when all coils were firing.   My comments apply only to the early models.   Maybe they improved a few things on later ones before they put it out of its misery.

Lincoln LS.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brucelinc said:

Putting an LS on a 10 best Lincoln list is like putting a Vega on a 10 best Chevrolet list.

LS won Motor Trend's Car of the Year award for 2000. Lincoln LS - Motor Trend's Car of the Year

While flawed, LS was the best Lincoln product by far in the early 21st century. Lincoln went downhill fast after LS was discontinued in 2006. By the late 2000s, the brand became little more than a lineup of overpriced copycat Fords being passed off as faux luxury vehicles. It got so bad by the early 2010s that Ford's CEO at the time Alan Mulally considered axing the Lincoln brand completely, though of course Mulally ultimately didn't follow through.

Fortunately, Lincoln got its mojo back a couple years ago, and the inclusion of 2020 Aviator on Motor Trend's list of 10 Greatest Lincolns Ever made list reinforces that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

1. Was the LS photo a preproduction car?  I had a first gen LS, and of all the first gen LS's I have ever seen, I have never seen one with a red emblem.

Good catch mustang84isu sir, you really pay attention to the details! You are correct, the 2000 Lincoln LS photo in the Motor Trend slide show is of a pre-production model.

12 hours ago, Andrew L said:

Mark V I can get on board with many Mark enthusiasts say the V was the best one outside of the II.  I am guessing you mean IV (4) instead of VI (6).  Many consider the VI the worst Mark by far, it only lasted 2 years and offered 4 doors.  It didn't really offer anything different over the Town Car except hidden headlights.

Yep, that was a fat finger mistake...I meant IV.  Never really was a fan of the VI, especially the goofy vents on the side.

• Like 1