2022 GT Clicking noise

dryla

I have a 2022 Aviator GT with 2300 miles on the odometer.  About 1000 miles ago, I started noticing an intermittent clicking noise coming from behind the instrument cluster.  It sounds to me like a relay might be opening(or closing.)  This noise does not start immediately on start-up but rather after driving for a few minutes.  Have any other owners had this same issue and, if so, what is causing this clicking?  

Edited by dryla

On 2/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, dryla said:

I have a 2022 Aviator GT with 2300 miles on the odometer.  About 1000 miles ago, I started noticing an intermittent clicking noise coming from behind the instrument cluster.  It sounds to me like a relay might be opening(or closing.)  This noise does not start immediately on start-up but rather after driving for a few minutes.  Have any other owners had this same issue and, if so, what is causing this clicking?  

Haven’t had the problem - but your description sounds like a HVAC actuator that is self-calibrating, or defective, causing the clicking noise.  The actuators self-calibrate when the battery is disconnected (or placed in calibrate mode).  If it continues to click - there is a defect.

Thanks for the hint as to the possible cause of this clicking.  The battery has not ever been disconnected.  How does the actuator get into self-calibrate mode?  Only via the computer?  It is also of note that 1000 miles(about 6 weeks ago) it got cold up here and that may be about the time this clicking started.  If you know, are there multiple HVAC actuators behind the general area of the instrument cluster?  I ask this because the clicking does not always seem to be coming from the exact same location as I think I hear it in different places right to left on occasion.  I will definitely need to get the appointment at the dealership when the snow stops -- or before if the clicking gets more intense and the heater, etc. quit being responsive.  Thanks again for the clue. 

Don

3 hours ago, dryla said:

Thanks for the hint as to the possible cause of this clicking.  The battery has not ever been disconnected.  How does the actuator get into self-calibrate mode?  Only via the computer?  It is also of note that 1000 miles(about 6 weeks ago) it got cold up here and that may be about the time this clicking started.  If you know, are there multiple HVAC actuators behind the general area of the instrument cluster?  I ask this because the clicking does not always seem to be coming from the exact same location as I think I hear it in different places right to left on occasion.  I will definitely need to get the appointment at the dealership when the snow stops -- or before if the clicking gets more intense and the heater, etc. quit being responsive.  Thanks again for the clue. 

Don

There are multiple HVAC actuators - especially on vehicles with dual-zone HVAC systems.

The system can be placed into calibrate mode by the dealer’s hand-held scanner, or on most vehicles, they also default to self-calibrate mode when the battery is disconnected and then reconnected.

SOME vehicle have a process for the owner or technician to place the system into self-calibrate mode, by pressing a variety of HVAC buttons or holding one down for a length of time.  This information is often not in the owner’s manual - but rather the service manual.

Usually the clicking means the actuator is defective, or the mode door connector to the actuator is broken or dislodged.

Wow, I can only imagine what a tech would have to do to get at any one of these actuators.  Does it require removing the whole dash to get at them?  Would disconnecting the battery for a small amount of time and then reconnecting be of any benefit as a DIY attempt?  Or should I just make the appointment and let them have a go at it?  Thanks for your reply.

18 hours ago, dryla said:

Wow, I can only imagine what a tech would have to do to get at any one of these actuators.  Does it require removing the whole dash to get at them?  Would disconnecting the battery for a small amount of time and then reconnecting be of any benefit as a DIY attempt?  Or should I just make the appointment and let them have a go at it?  Thanks for your reply.

Some HVAC actuators are easy to reach and replace.  Some require partial or full removal of the dash assembly (on some vehicles).

If you remove the battery cable - it will erase any stored trouble codes, which will prevent the dealer technician from identifying the source of the problem (if a code is set and stored).

Since the car is under warranty, I would not remove the cable and suggest having the dealer evaluate and repair the car.  There MAY be a TSB available for the dealer technician to quickly determine the source of the noise.

Best wishes - let us know what the dealer determines.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, dryla said:

Any resolution to the problem?

• 2 months later...

Hello again 99 White C5 Coupe,

It has been 4 months since I last posted anything regarding this "Clicking Noise" issue.  I hope you are still active and will see this.  I just came home from an appointment with the Lincoln dealer regarding a recall issued concerning the wiring harness connected to the charge port on our 2022 Grand Touring.  While at the dealership, I requested they look into this "clicking noise" I hear while driving at speeds starting at about 10MPH and higher.  The Service Advisor and I went for a drive and - thankfully - he also heard the clicking.  Rather than HVAC related, he surmised it is coming from the Electronic Throttle Control system as when letting off the accelerator, the click can be heard shortly after taking ones foot off the accelerator.  Pressing on the accelerator and then letting off produces this "clicking noise" shortly after letting off.  His attempt to help the clicking was to spray Silicon lubricant at the hinge pin on the accelerator.   On my 50 mile return home trip, it is evident that the spray was of no value as the clicking noise is still very evident.  My theory then became that  "Will this clicking still be evident if I do not use the accelerator and use the Cruise Control on the trip home?"  Eureka!!! There is NO clicking noise when using Cruise Control!  I do not know(or understand) the components used to activate the ETC, but I still think there must be some electronic component(s) connected to the accelerator (or behind the dash) that is causing this noise.  The Service Advisor did check for a TSB regarding this but there is not one out there at this time.  That is the update from here and I hope there can be some resolution to this issue before too long.  Any members help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated.  

• Thanks 1