2022 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

14 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

Back it up with some proof then. 

Let’s think for a second. How much sense would it make to send a 450 DRW down the line, with different leaf springs, rear axle length, extra wheels… after a basic 250, followed by a 350 with again, different axels, leaf springs, engines, gears, etc. It completely defies logic to be efficient and have the right parts ready to go. 

On 3/3/2022 at 5:49 PM, dwpick1030 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. After a couple of attempts to reach the sales manage I ordered the truck through, I finally got the order number and the dealer number. I entered it into the vehicle locator forum. I found out that the dealer gave me a dealer code that is one digit short. Would anyone know if this is a Canadian thing, or is there another way to obtain the dealer code. I am just trying my hardest to find out the progress on my truck. Thanks in advanced

I also have a Canadian Dealer and the Sales Code is 6 letters/numbers. Mine has 2 letters followed by 4 numbers. Don't have the build sheet handy, but I believe this is included at the top of the sheet.

12 hours ago, CheeseheadFord said:

I agree here, would be nice that if your 22MY was not able to be built you had the choice to roll it to a 23MY first in line with the same pricing if you wanted, but we know that isn't likely to happen.

While it is still speculation as Ford haven't released 23MY details, but I have already had the discussion with my Sales Manager.

In the unlikely event my F-450 isn't built as a 22MY, he will re-order as a 23MY ensuring it is at the front of the queue and guarantees the same price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fordnovice88 said:

There is a serious disconnect happening somewhere. When I picked up my truck on Wednesday the guy at the dealership said that in normal times they had 400 vehicles on their lot. Currently they had 20. He said they usually moved about 200 vehicles per month. 

Dealership after dealership I pass on the highway I see the same thing, empty lots. Now today when I read a press release about a new Kentucky plant shutdown because of chip shortages it says that Ford produced 2.3 million vehicles in 2019 and will produce 2.1 million this year. Well... simple math says that's only a 10% reduction. So, if they are producing 90% of the cars that they were how come the lots don't have 90% of the cars that they did? 

Custom orders is my guess. No need for them to sit on the lot. Off the truck and into the customers loving arms.

9 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

If you have one item on the commodity hold list, you may get through.  If you have two, your chances go down.  If you have 3 of the items on the list, your chances of it getting built go down exponentially.  It's simple math and statistics folks, and Ford is not trying to screw you out of getting your truck.  Either change the order or be patient.

I've got 3 (AS, BL, 5th wheel prep).  Been on order since 9/3.  No schedule date.  I'm choosing to be patient because I want the truck I ordered, not something I settled for so I could get it a few months sooner.  I'm fully expecting to be pushed to a '23 model, and if that's the result, then so be it.  But, then again, I didn't sell my 2017 yet so I've still got a (perfectly fine, super nice) truck to drive and use until my new one shows up, all the while I'm saving more money to pay for the new one! :)

I also have a number of the known issues: F-450, 5th wheel prep, moonroof and ordered about same time as you - 31st Aug and still no VIN. Just waiting patiently, since we only know about some of the commodity restraints. I have no doubt, with the number of components in these trucks, they have many more commodity issues that change on a daily/weekly basis. Welcome to the pitfalls of "just in time" parts delivery.

Been at Priority 1, and been next in the queue at the dealer, since before many even ordered. Still haven't got a week that Ford have expectations of having all the required parts to built my truck, so I can get a VIN assigned and build week.

I have already traded my F-350 DRW, but don't see any point in complaining, life is way too short to be worrying over a new truck getting built. So we had to cancel our summer RV trip, no big deal, we can do it next year, as it's already planned. 

33 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

While it is still speculation as Ford haven't released 23MY details, but I have already had the discussion with my Sales Manager.

In the unlikely event my F-450 isn't built as a 22MY, he will re-order as a 23MY ensuring it is at the front of the queue and guarantees the same price.

Hopefully others do the same or what would make Ford look better was if Ford did this but I can't see that happening. Would show they really do care about their customers imo. 

8 hours ago, Forderorder said:

Communicate better about status, cause for delay, and what options can be removed to help expedite?  Not break the order tracker?  Not make price protection such a mystery and keep hiking the price?  Keep their Search Inventory page up and running?  Fix the COVP process?  How about some innovation to become less chip-dependent?  Bring back floor shifters for 4x4 and manual transmissions.

Most of those are the responsibility of your dealer. Personally, I am buying a truck from our local dealer, Ford is only building the truck for the dealer.

Suggest making your dealer provide you customer service, as I receive most of the communication issues you posted from my dealer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monoman said:

That is all irrelevant.  At the end of the day/month/year, what matters to the dealers and Ford is profit.   Having hundreds of vehicles on a lot is meaningless.  How many vehicles solder per month is almost just as meaningless.  

GM was #1 in sales volume right before bankruptcy.  Volume without profit is meaningless,  one could argue the dealers are making even more profit than normal not just because of higher prices but also not having to floorplan all those vehicles.  The empty lots give the illusion of no sales but that’s simply not accurate.

27 minutes ago, themadmonk said:

Custom orders is my guess. No need for them to sit on the lot. Off the truck and into the customers loving arms.

In addition to customer orders they’re also selling stock vehicles in just a few days.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CheeseheadFord said:

Hopefully others do the same or what would make Ford look better was if Ford did this but I can't see that happening. Would show they really do care about their customers imo. 

It isn't Ford's responsibility to manage my oder and frankly I prefer to have that control locally. I am purchasing a truck from my local dealer, who I have a 20 year relationship with. Since I am purchasing the truck from the dealer, I consider that it is the dealer's responsibility to manage my order. I have no desire for Ford to assume control, receiving computer generated emails, or talking to some faceless agent thousands of miles away. If I have an issue, I can call my dealer and also stop by and chat. Way more personal.

We are the customers and if the dealer isn't providing customer service, make them, or take the business elsewhere.

I agree, by my dealer making the customer happy, Ford also looks good.

23 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

It isn't Ford's responsibility to manage my oder and frankly I prefer to have that control locally. I am purchasing a truck from my local dealer, who I have a 20 year relationship with. Since I am purchasing the truck from the dealer, I consider that it is the dealer's responsibility to manage my order. I have no desire for Ford to assume control, receiving computer generated emails, or talking to some faceless agent thousands of miles away. If I have an issue, I can call my dealer and also stop by and chat. Way more personal.

We are the customers and if the dealer isn't providing customer service, make them, or take the business elsewhere.

My reply really had nothing to do about managing an order it was more for if your 22MY was unable to be produced. 

6 hours ago, akirby said:

GM was #1 in sales volume right before bankruptcy.  Volume without profit is meaningless,  one could argue the dealers are making even more profit than normal not just because of higher prices but also not having to floorplan all those vehicles.  The empty lots give the illusion of no sales but that’s simply not accurate.

Yeah the old way was the salesperson tells every customer they are losing money on their particular sale but somehow the dealerships would make it up with volume.  ;-)   

The reason for large inventories is about choice and facilitating quick sales. Pre-Covid - IIRC the average person shopping for a new vehicle make their purchase within three days.  If a dealer has most models and combinations on their lot then the potential customer can't say the dealer doesn't have what they want.  It was all about keeping you on the lot and not going to the next dealer. If they could put you in the exactly what you were looking for (or close to it) then it increased their odds of closing a sale greatly. 

Now they have two types of customers.  Those willing to buy from what little inventory they have at whatever price they are charging (high margin but low volume) and those willing to do a custom order (fixed/lower margin).  Now you have a situation where custom orders are high and inventory is low.  People ordering are more patient and willing to shop around. Having time to shop around should make the dealers compete on pricing but that isn't the case in every area .... yet.

6 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Unfortunately many dealers aren't doing a good job. Also, it isn't easy to take your business elsewhere because you have to start all over which puts you in the back of the order line.   In a (more) perfect world,

• The dealers and Ford would have their act together.
  • The salespeople would know more about the vehicles than you do.
  • Ford would have great brochures that answered all of your questions. 
  • Your order would get entered correctly.
  • Ford would be able to tell you exactly how soon your vehicle would be built and delivered.
  • You would get timely and accurate communications from your dealer and Ford.
  • Your vehicle would be delivered on time and in perfect condition.
  • Your order price would not go up when the vehicle arrived.
  • Your dealer would not try to sell your order to someone else for more money.  

Having a good personal experience is great but only if things are mostly right.  Personally, I would rather see the processes and products improved first.  I'm buying an expensive product that I will have for years.  The sales person probably won't be around by the time I come back to buy another vehicle. 

FWIW My local Toyota dealership has always had their act together.  Smaller dealership with competitive pricing and outstanding customer service. I've bought a number of vehicles from them over the last 20 years because there are rarely any issues. (nobody is perfect)  The sales teams are not pushy and don't give you the runaround. The service department never tries to upsell you with BS dealer recommendations.  If you are unhappy about something you just pick up the phone and the owner will take care of it.   This dealer has built up a loyal customer base and grown quite a bit over the last two decades.   I wish they were a Ford dealership. 

• Like 2

I received the "your truck has been built" email this morning.  I am not sure that I believe since the tracker still says "in production" and the as builts aren't completely showing up.  I will believe it has been built when I see it in the parking lot at the dealership... LOL!  Ordered on 11/12.

2 hours ago, FordTruckFan said:

I received the "your truck has been built" email this morning.  I am not sure that I believe since the tracker still says "in production" and the as builts aren't completely showing up.  I will believe it has been built when I see it in the parking lot at the dealership... LOL!  Ordered on 11/12.

Me too at 4:10 this morning.  The e mail said your truck is built but the tracker still shows in production, it also gave a delivery date of 3/18-3/24 to the dealer.   Yesterday my dealer said it will be waiting in a lot for the final chips to be installed, probably 2 weeks.  Hopefully they are wrong....time will tell.  My window sticker has not updated nor is it showing on my ford pass account.  I figure if I get it the first week of April I'm doing good.  Ordered 12/13 F350 Lariat DRW value package with safe and fifth wheel prep.  no spray bed or AS. 

Blue Oval members,

I'm a new member here.  Hi All!  I am here to whine about not getting my new F-1250.  I made the mistake of selling my Silverado to my son before getting my new F-250.  Stupidly, I didn't realize there was a huge backlog.  I placed an order on January 5, 2022, and I received the confirmation email from Ford on January 19th.  I haven't heard a word since then.  I called my dealer and he said my order is in the queue.  I even called Ford directly and they said that they know nothing more, and to work with my salesperson for updates.

I've bought a new trailer, and a Can-Am X3 RS Turbo RR 72, and I have no truck to transport it!  The waiting is killing me!  I even worry a bit that the truck might not get built.  My dealer told me that I have "price protection" for twelve months from January.  I look forward to hearing about other peoples' experiences getting their fine new trucks!  Good luck!

I ordered an F250 Lariat
crew Cab
6 3/4'’ bed
Bucket seats/console
camper package
front and rear wheel well liners
spray in bed liner
4.3 axle ratio
7.3 gas engine
Carbonized Grey color
Black Onyx interior color
4x4
bed step 

Bajadrifter in Charlotte

14 hours ago, Fordnovice88 said:

There is a serious disconnect happening somewhere. When I picked up my truck on Wednesday the guy at the dealership said that in normal times they had 400 vehicles on their lot. Currently they had 20. He said they usually moved about 200 vehicles per month. 

Dealership after dealership I pass on the highway I see the same thing, empty lots. Now today when I read a press release about a new Kentucky plant shutdown because of chip shortages it says that Ford produced 2.3 million vehicles in 2019 and will produce 2.1 million this year. Well... simple math says that's only a 10% reduction. So, if they are producing 90% of the cars that they were how come the lots don't have 90% of the cars that they did? 

No marketing genius here and won’t ever claim to be. But sadly the  guy at the dealership is obviously pretty out of touch with the direction Ford and likely other manufactures are heading. Lots full of inventory at least according to Ford are going to be a thing of the past according to this link. Having lots of inventory sitting on a dealers lots will no longer be. 
Like it or not, this certainly appears the way the Ford and the auto industry as a whole is moving for more profit. As said in an old folk song, “the times they are a changing”. 

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/about-one-third-of-new-ford-sales-now-coming-from-customer-orders/

Edited by Patriot1

10 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

I also have a Canadian Dealer and the Sales Code is 6 letters/numbers. Mine has 2 letters followed by 4 numbers. Don't have the build sheet handy, but I believe this is included at the top of the sheet.

Mine has a B1 and then a space followed by 3 numbers.....so strange. I I inquired with the dealer and they are insistent that this is their number. I am at a loss. No vin and no information on scheduling.  I guess I will just have to sit back and wait.

4 hours ago, Monoman said:

Yeah the old way was the salesperson tells every customer they are losing money on their particular sale but somehow the dealerships would make it up with volume.  ?  

The reason for large inventories is about choice and facilitating quick sales. Pre-Covid - IIRC the average person shopping for a new vehicle make their purchase within three days.  If a dealer has most models and combinations on their lot then the potential customer can't say the dealer doesn't have what they want.  It was all about keeping you on the lot and not going to the next dealer. If they could put you in the exactly what you were looking for (or close to it) then it increased their odds of closing a sale greatly. 

Now they have two types of customers.  Those willing to buy from what little inventory they have at whatever price they are charging (high margin but low volume) and those willing to do a custom order (fixed/lower margin).  Now you have a situation where custom orders are high and inventory is low.  People ordering are more patient and willing to shop around. Having time to shop around should make the dealers compete on pricing but that isn't the case in every area .... yet.

I went to Ford's "Price and Build" site and built my dream truck. Then sent (emailed) the build sheet to multiple dealers and asked for their best out the door price. That made it very easy and low stress. However, I refuse to buy/order a truck without first driving it or a similar model. So I see dealers having demos on the lot to give buyers some idea of what they will get. The rest of the story is after 8 months of "Unscheduled/Clean" I cancelled the my order. Personally I won't order another truck. I'll buy off the lot. 

37 minutes ago, Beefmaster said:

I went to Ford's "Price and Build" site and built my dream truck. Then sent (emailed) the build sheet to multiple dealers and asked for their best out the door price. That made it very easy and low stress. However, I refuse to buy/order a truck without first driving it or a similar model. So I see dealers having demos on the lot to give buyers some idea of what they will get. The rest of the story is after 8 months of "Unscheduled/Clean" I cancelled the my order. Personally I won't order another truck. I'll buy off the lot. 

That sucks.  in my area SDs on the lots are $10K-$20k over MSRP.  The same dealers want MSRP or higher for COVP orders.  I ordered out of state and will wait.  Luckily, I don't need the truck until December or maybe even later.  Also, when I ordered there were none on the lots to test drive.  I've driven enough trucks over the years and ridden in most of the new ones. 

1 hour ago, Beefmaster said:

I sympathize with you but the other part of the story is that yours was a FLEET order rather than RETAIL. If you want the fleet discount, you’ll have to wait behind the retail orders.