2022 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

On 11/28/2022 at 5:29 PM, King ranch 62 said:

Just a thought but maybe ford should find out why the retail trucks are still sitting while stock trucks are being shipped. My truck came in a weak and a half ago but last week my dealer had got in 6 stock super duties at 10k over msrp.

I had over a couple of decades at Ford in salaried positions and had a pretty deep contact list.  Even I couldn't get my truck moved off of the train's destination lot.  Dealer called me and said your truck arrived, and then told me the story the delivery driver told him.  Apparently the driver was given a stack of vehicles to load and deliver... couldn't find a single one.  They gave him another stack, couldn't find any of those.  Mine was in his third stack, and he only find 2 or 3 in the stack and they told him to just take those.  I'm thinking this is a combination of first in last out inventory management, with a mix of anarchy thrown in for good measure.  I often wonder on some of these that can't be found how many were stolen for parts.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:52 AM, '37driver said:

Hi all.

Had a '22 F350 Lariat order that the dealer converted to a '23. I'm in Canada.

I'm having a problem with adding Upfitter Switches. The dealer is telling me that they are not available on Lariat unless I get the Lariat Ultimate Pkg.

I also can't add them on the Ford Canada website. They are included in the Lariat Ultimate Pkg which I do not want on my '23.

It shows as an option in the order guide, it shows as "Included with the LARIAT Ultimate Package. Available on XL, XLT and LARIAT" on the Ford Canada website.

I feel like this is a mistake, maybe an IT issue? I'm not getting anywhere having my dealer add them. Any suggestions on getting these added on my truck order?

It would appear you can no longer add upfitter switches willy nilly like you use to be able to.  I'm ordering a 23 F550 XL on the fleet side so we'll see if I get the switches or not.  I'm guessing fleet can but I haven't seen an order guide yet. Heck, We'll see if I even get the truck.  

Our F350 Lariat was ordered in February 2021. The order acceptance was delayed as the Ford rep told the dealer that the order did not require the customer ID validation (this was in the transition when Ford was requiring driver's licenses to validate a customer was real).  After repeatedly reaching out to Ford to ask about the delay, the dealer discovered his Ford rep was no longer with the company and the new rep told him the news that customer ID was required and acceptance was waiting for this the entire time.  This delayed the order by 12 months as it sat in Ford's order system.  The order was finally picked up and a VIN was assigned in June 2022 (now at 16 months after the initial order).  The truck was built at the Kentucky plant on Aug 24, 2022.  It was completed and then scheduled to shipped in mid-September by rail.  However, the dealer discovered it was shipped to the Ford Flat Rock assembly plant in Flat Rock Michigan. It arrived and has then been sitting in delayed state in Flat Rock Michigan for 2 1/2 months.  With no estimated ship date.

Apart from the initial delay, has anyone experienced a truck being shipped between assembly plants?  Does anyone know what is causing this and if there is any end in sight?  At this point, we are at 21 months post order date with no line of sight.  Amazing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cranman said:

Our F350 Lariat was ordered in February 2021. The order acceptance was delayed as the Ford rep told the dealer that the order did not require the customer ID validation (this was in the transition when Ford was requiring driver's licenses to validate a customer was real).  After repeatedly reaching out to Ford to ask about the delay, the dealer discovered his Ford rep was no longer with the company and the new rep told him the news that customer ID was required and acceptance was waiting for this the entire time.  This delayed the order by 12 months as it sat in Ford's order system.  The order was finally picked up and a VIN was assigned in June 2022 (now at 16 months after the initial order).  The truck was built at the Kentucky plant on Aug 24, 2022.  It was completed and then scheduled to shipped in mid-September by rail.  However, the dealer discovered it was shipped to the Ford Flat Rock assembly plant in Flat Rock Michigan. It arrived and has then been sitting in delayed state in Flat Rock Michigan for 2 1/2 months.  With no estimated ship date.

Apart from the initial delay, has anyone experienced a truck being shipped between assembly plants?  Does anyone know what is causing this and if there is any end in sight?  At this point, we are at 21 months post order date with no line of sight.  Amazing.

I can't speak of the shipping between plants,well, that I know of, but mine has been missing delivery windows for 8 months now, 250 days waiting on a train. If the previous poster was correct on drivers given a list of trucks to load and couldn't find them,then given another list and the same thing happen, I can see why the current shipping methods and procedures are a shit show. That would explain the hit or miss in shipping for most of us. I can see the ones that have shipped have been directly off the assembly line and loaded on a rail car right then. If they run out of cars, then it's pushed to the side to sit until more empty rail cars arrive and the process is repeated day in,day out. Now the truck that missed the rail car yesterday, is blocked in by others that missed a ride as well, but now it's farther in the back. The ones parked in front of it will load first if THEY aren't blocked in. And there you have a never ending rail delay situation that we all are experiencing. My opinion, it should be first in, first out, not first in, whenever it gets out.That's the smart,fair way of doing business. 

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

I can't speak of the shipping between plants,well, that I know of, but mine has been missing delivery windows for 8 months now, 250 days waiting on a train. If the previous poster was correct on drivers given a list of trucks to load and couldn't find them,then given another list and the same thing happen, I can see why the current shipping methods and procedures are a shit show. That would explain the hit or miss in shipping for most of us. I can see the ones that have shipped have been directly off the assembly line and loaded on a rail car right then. If they run out of cars, then it's pushed to the side to sit until more empty rail cars arrive and the process is repeated day in,day out. Now the truck that missed the rail car yesterday, is blocked in by others that missed a ride as well, but now it's farther in the back. The ones parked in front of it will load first if THEY aren't blocked in. And there you have a never ending rail delay situation that we all are experiencing. My opinion, it should be first in, first out, not first in, whenever it gets out.That's the smart,fair way of doing business. 

I was lucky and my KRU was built on October 21st and shipped the next day. That being said it took a week to arrive at Richmond ca and sat there for 3 weeks and was delivered to the dealer over 2 weeks ago and I still haven’t even got to drive it yet. A bad ECM.

50 minutes ago, King ranch 62 said:

I was lucky and my KRU was built on October 21st and shipped the next day. That being said it took a week to arrive at Richmond ca and sat there for 3 weeks and was delivered to the dealer over 2 weeks ago and I still haven’t even got to drive it yet. A bad ECM.

Bad ECM? How'd they drive it around to be loaded up? Something sounds amiss. Anyway, I took your advice and emailed the list of people you posted. Got a call back about 5 hrs later. Good,encouraging conversation on my issue. We'll see what happens soon enough. 

14 hours ago, Big Jon said:

My opinion, it should be first in, first out, not first in, whenever it gets out.That's the smart,fair way of doing business. 

Well of course it should work that way but these transfer points have never seen the kind of delays they’re experiencing over the last 2 years and they’re probably struggling to even find storage space much less arrange it for fifo, especially when they have to group them by dealer and/or city.

The system is definitely broken but I don’t think there is an easy fix.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well of course it should work that way but these transfer points have never seen the kind of delays they’re experiencing over the last 2 years and they’re probably struggling to even find storage space much less arrange it for fifo, especially when they have to group them by dealer and/or city.

Agreed. There are only two ways to clear a logjam. More output or less input. Either they find more outbound shipping capacity or they throttle back production to sort this out. I think we all know the second option isn’t happening. Until the first one gets there, we won’t see a meaningful change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Does it not make you wonder if anyone has even tried to fix it.  If there is a lot of labor turnover with the railcar loaders then I would not be surprised if they are just doing things the same way they have always been done or however someone sees fit that day/week.  Even though it has been over two years, I would be surprised if anyone has taken the time to analyze and redesign the loading and shipping processes to adapt to the current circumstances.

54 minutes ago, le engineer said:

Agreed. There are only two ways to clear a logjam. More output or less input. Either they find more outbound shipping capacity or they throttle back production to sort this out. I think we all know the second option isn’t happening. Until the first one gets there, we won’t see a meaningful change. 

Stick an RFID tag on each truck tied to the VIN so that you can locate each one easily. Then employ a helicopter to hoist that sucker out of its blocked-in position. Boom... Done. 

/s

44 minutes ago, Monoman said:

Does it not make you wonder if anyone has even tried to fix it.  If there is a lot of labor turnover with the railcar loaders then I would not be surprised if they are just doing things the same way they have always been done or however someone sees fit that day/week.  Even though it has been over two years, I would be surprised if anyone has taken the time to analyze and redesign the loading and shipping processes to adapt to the current circumstances.

I think this is only a big problem in certain locations and probably is due to a shortage of trucks and/or drivers.  If so then it might not be as simple as hire more drivers and trucks, especially if the backlog is expected to be temporary.  Ideally you’d just hire temps to catch up but it sounds like trucks and drivers are in short supply period.  Same with rail delays.  If there was an easy answer we’d see it already.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think this is only a big problem in certain locations and probably is due to a shortage of trucks and/or drivers.  If so then it might not be as simple as hire more drivers and trucks, especially if the backlog is expected to be temporary.  Ideally you’d just hire temps to catch up but it sounds like trucks and drivers are in short supply period.  Same with rail delays.  If there was an easy answer we’d see it already.  

I believe most of the supply chain issues are labor related.  There is an easy answer but it costs money.    It goes along with the saying: "Fast, Cheap, Correct, Pick any two."

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

In normal times yes.  But even if you have the money to spend you might not be able to find drivers and trucks.

This. The average truck driver in the USA is in their late 40’s/early 50’s. Young people aren’t pursuing this career track. There are only so many people willing to work the job, and even fewer with the right qualifications for certain gigs. 

In the eyes of big fleets, one of the most attractive aspects of autonomous trucks is the reduction in demand for drivers. If you only need one driver to manage a train of half a dozen trucks, you’re hiring one driver instead of six. When there’s a driver shortage, this doesn’t mean layoffs. It means closing out a req you never had the ability to fill. 

I work for a company with over 4000 trucks. When a truck gets totaled, it’s a nightmare. Assuming you can find a dealer with something available, the buying procedure is as follows:

1. Unzip your pants

2. Bend over

3. Say “thank you daddy”

1 hour ago, Monoman said:

I had to chuckle when you mentioned the railcar loaders. I live near the UP Auto Yard in West Chicago IL, and when they unload trains from the left side (North) of the tracks, they have to drive the vehicles over a bridge to bring them into the main yard.  For some reason, Security finds it necessary to block the exit road, so the drivers don't take off with a new car,,,,,

HRG

UP Auto yard.JPG

On 11/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, King ranch 62 said:

Email all and cc each of them. Tell them your story but be real polite. Tell about your shipping delays and that you can’t get any answers from anyone. Remember be humble and polite. I did it and got an answer back. Good luck.? 

2435BED4-899B-471D-9214-71E0356EF7F8.png

F11EFF19-0DFE-4DB6-9844-B259484C0AE2.png

I did email the top three customer service executives.  I am not optimistic of a response but why not try.

460 days from conformation 

I just received its at dealer and Iam

on way

ford system is broken when other with exact order 6 months less wait then i

also mine just got built end of oct and got all the way to California before others waiting on there built trucks(chips missing?)

my truck is a f450 platinum with extras

never took off items

this site has helped better then ford or dealer ever did
Have ordered many vehicles from ford might not again with there bad communication 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F450 said:

460 days from conformation 

I just received its at dealer and Iam

on way

ford system is broken when other with exact order 6 months less wait then i

also mine just got built end of oct and got all the way to California before others waiting on there built trucks(chips missing?)

my truck is a f450 platinum with extras

never took off items

this site has helped better then ford or dealer ever did
Have ordered many vehicles from ford might not again with there bad communication 

Hallelujah! Congratulations!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F450 said:

Does ford interest rate have a price protection?

dealer saying no

Yes! You are eligible for the rates that were applicable at the time the order was placed. When the wife ordered her car in Jan/22, she was eligible for the rates. Car didn't arrive until 5/22. You have to push the finance person on this. Ours volunteered the information. Google search may yield the document stating so.

44 minutes ago, RFT2112 said:

They f’d me on this.  I don’t think they even looked and I asked about it with the finance guy.  Wondering if I have any recourse with this?

The current commercial says order now and lock in finance rate.

If you've already signed the finance agreement and drove away, you are locked to that contract. But, you can probably pay it off without penalty.  Check rates at your local bank, credit union, and even State Farm loans on vehicle purchases.

Good luck.