2022 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

9 hours ago, jarrsong said:

The ride quality is actually great, and I was concerned about this as I had driven some older ones and they were pretty harsh. I never once had driver fatigue and could easily drive on for hours. It got very interesting when I got to Portland. After 6 hours of sitting in the same 500' spot on i5, I convinced some big rigs to split apart and ended up scooting between semi's/cars on the freeway, going over a median with 8"+ of wet snow. I have to move barricade's, drove over downed trees and garbage can lids wiggling my way through downtown Portland to essentially bypass the i5. I ended up on, with a group of trucks following me, on I suppose a spur road where I could see i5. Once i5 was clear I hopped back on and 75MPH the rest of the way home. Ended up, at 22 hours straight in the seat. Was tired, but never felt I didn't have enough truck. It was a scene out of the walking dead with dozens and dozens of folks that had abandoned their cars from either being wrecked or ran out of electricity/gas and started walking. I offered to help a few but most seemed to know where they were going. Crazy! Some pics in the first few minutes. 
No pulling in groves UNLESS they were super bad in which I'd scoot over a lane. This happen in one spot I can think of pulling up out of a canyon in California. My tires are the traction M/S traction tires. They are pretty meaty. Now for mileage. At 75 I would get 16-17mpg, but if I slowed it down to 65mph I can pull almost 20 on the freeway. So speed matters. At 65MPH, it's pulling 1900 RPM. Truck also has an ECO mode I tested and honest I didn't see a huge change other than it flattened throttle response. One interesting thing is I ordered my truck with the adaptive cruise and when you are going down the freeway, if you turn on the turn signal the engine immediately changes tone and comes to life, turn the blinker off and it stops. It's like the truck knows you MAY be about to pass a car. Turning radius is just CRAZY compared to my last few Super duties. THAT is about my favorite part. The sound system in this thing is badass for a factory system. 

Some things I don't like? Tailgate release is a button. I want a lever, period. I like the power release, but still want a handle to pull. Next would be the bed camera. Why the hell can't I engage the bed camera when moving. Seriously, what's the point as if I'm sitting still, I'll go have a look myself. This is dumb but I'm sure it's to protect the world from idiots. Lastly headlights. It is offensive to be that on a $85K truck that it is even possible to have shitty terrible headlights. I mean BAD. So for any who read this. ORDER THE UPGRADED HEADLIGHTS period. Forget what it costs, do not screw yourself out of visibility. And yes, I can squint 20/20 so I have great eyeballs. Ford shoulf be ashamed and honestly, I should have known better. 

20230223_035040028_iOS.jpg

20230223_035127784_iOS.jpg

I started reading this post and was like, "yeah; yup..." and then it just kept getting better and better. Awesome story and great work! 

Two things- my MY22's SD's bed camera works while driving (but front camera only ever gives me a blue screen?) and I'm with you on the tailgate. I've got the lever and not looking forward to my My23 not having that. 

13 hours ago, KevinLK said:

Looks awesome. I'm waiting on a Rapid Red 450, too. How was the 1750 mile ride? Rough or okay? Did it pull from grooves, etc., like I hear with the 19.5's? MPG? Sorry for all of the questions, but I've been curious.

45 minutes ago, THASS said:

I started reading this post and was like, "yeah; yup..." and then it just kept getting better and better. Awesome story and great work! 

Two things- my MY22's SD's bed camera works while driving (but front camera only ever gives me a blue screen?) and I'm with you on the tailgate. I've got the lever and not looking forward to my My23 not having that. 

1 hour ago, KevinLK said:

Sounds like an exciting end to the trip! glad it all ended up well. Thanks for the info on the truck. We'll eventually have a 700 mile trip from Iowa to Denver if it ever gets delivered (it's a '23). I'm anxious for it to happen.

Bummer to hear about the headlights. I know that you can get aftermarket LED lights, but I think they're pricey. I'll have LEDs, so I'm hoping they're good. Have fun with your truck!

Yeah, I can get factory replacement Quad beam LED's but at this point it will cost $3K+ and need some computer programming, which I THINK I can do myself with Forscan. 

37 minutes ago, faulconer said:

I went with the Morimoto LED Headlights https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-super-duty-20-xb-led-headlights_3?quantity=1 and I have been very happy with them. The stock halogens are terrible. 

Controversial take but I don’t mind the halogens. They seem fine. To be fair I’ve never had LEDs on a truck so maybe I haven’t seen the light figuratively and literally. 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:54 AM, jarrsong said:

The ride quality is actually great, and I was concerned about this as I had driven some older ones and they were pretty harsh. I never once had driver fatigue and could easily drive on for hours. It got very interesting when I got to Portland. After 6 hours of sitting in the same 500' spot on i5, I convinced some big rigs to split apart and ended up scooting between semi's/cars on the freeway, going over a median with 8"+ of wet snow. I have to move barricade's, drove over downed trees and garbage can lids wiggling my way through downtown Portland to essentially bypass the i5. I ended up on, with a group of trucks following me, on I suppose a spur road where I could see i5. Once i5 was clear I hopped back on and 75MPH the rest of the way home. Ended up, at 22 hours straight in the seat. Was tired, but never felt I didn't have enough truck. It was a scene out of the walking dead with dozens and dozens of folks that had abandoned their cars from either being wrecked or ran out of electricity/gas and started walking. I offered to help a few but most seemed to know where they were going. Crazy! Some pics in the first few minutes. 
No pulling in groves UNLESS they were super bad in which I'd scoot over a lane. This happen in one spot I can think of pulling up out of a canyon in California. My tires are the traction M/S traction tires. They are pretty meaty. Now for mileage. At 75 I would get 16-17mpg, but if I slowed it down to 65mph I can pull almost 20 on the freeway. So speed matters. At 65MPH, it's pulling 1900 RPM. Truck also has an ECO mode I tested and honest I didn't see a huge change other than it flattened throttle response. One interesting thing is I ordered my truck with the adaptive cruise and when you are going down the freeway, if you turn on the turn signal the engine immediately changes tone and comes to life, turn the blinker off and it stops. It's like the truck knows you MAY be about to pass a car. Turning radius is just CRAZY compared to my last few Super duties. THAT is about my favorite part. The sound system in this thing is badass for a factory system. 

Some things I don't like? Tailgate release is a button. I want a lever, period. I like the power release, but still want a handle to pull. Next would be the bed camera. Why the hell can't I engage the bed camera when moving. Seriously, what's the point as if I'm sitting still, I'll go have a look myself. This is dumb but I'm sure it's to protect the world from idiots. Lastly headlights. It is offensive to be that on a $85K truck that it is even possible to have shitty terrible headlights. I mean BAD. So for any who read this. ORDER THE UPGRADED HEADLIGHTS period. Forget what it costs, do not screw yourself out of visibility. And yes, I can squint 20/20 so I have great eyeballs. Ford shoulf be ashamed and honestly, I should have known better. 

20230223_035040028_iOS.jpg

20230223_035127784_iOS.jpg

The 16-17 mpg, was it hand calculated or via the computer?  I ask as I’ve got a 23 KR 450 ordered and that would be awesome.  My 2011 450 gets 13 unloaded if I keep my foot out of it.

13 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

The 16-17 mpg, was it hand calculated or via the computer?  I ask as I’ve got a 23 KR 450 ordered and that would be awesome.  My 2011 450 gets 13 unloaded if I keep my foot out of it.

First computer, then calculator. Topping it off to the top of the fuel fill. It was always under .5 difference. More accurate than I thought it would be. Three quarter way through the trip I just used the computer, close enough for me. 

• Like 1

I had got over 19mpg driving over 900 miles home after picking up my Super Duty, very impressed. I'll post a picture of that and current mpg pulling a trailer. Been very satisfied with everything about this truck, many many thanks to the guys in Louisville who put this all together, first class job.

• 2 weeks later...

Before swapping to my 60 gallon S&B tank last weekend,  I calculated 16.8 mpg when the truck showed 17.7 with mostly city / rural type driving. My other tank was all freeway and I calculated 17.9 when the truck showed 18.4. 

I don’t think it’s worth adjusting the truck’s calculation for less than one mile per gallon. 

I’ve got my Banks Pedal Monster and will start using it more often. I love that thing!!  I just didn’t want to use it while I was calculating mpg. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: For those that are ordering a new truck, do yourself a favor and check the quad light box. If you didn’t however there is a GREAT option for aftermarket lights from Morimoto. Folks recommended them on here and they are top shelf material. I opted for the “Hybrid” version because I wanted it to look as stock as possible. Also the cost fo these were about $1200.00 and you get a trade in allowance for $300. This is reasonable. Install was a breeze IF, you take your time, go slow, step by step. When installing, I did change one thing and that is the power source for the DRL portion of these lights. They wanted you to tap into the fuse box on the ECM fuse. I didn’t think this was a good idea and went looking for another 10amp fuse. Turns out, because I ordered the Snow plow prep, I had another option. Worked great. Next up was mud flaps. I ordered and installed Duraflap product and once again, this is a top shelf product, easy to install and such great care was taken by the manufacture to even account for dissimilar metals. Most folks won’t even understand this but know it’s important for corrosion. Next I changed all the turns and brake lights over to LED and made all correction in Forscan to stop hyper flash. So there you go.  

IMG_0101.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jarrsong said:

Update: For those that are ordering a new truck, do yourself a favor and check the quad light box. If you didn’t however there is a GREAT option for aftermarket lights from Morimoto. Folks recommended them on here and they are top shelf material. I opted for the “Hybrid” version because I wanted it to look as stock as possible. Also the cost fo these were about $1200.00 and you get a trade in allowance for $300. This is reasonable. Install was a breeze IF, you take your time, go slow, step by step. When installing, I did change one thing and that is the power source for the DRL portion of these lights. They wanted you to tap into the fuse box on the ECM fuse. I didn’t think this was a good idea and went looking for another 10amp fuse. Turns out, because I ordered the Snow plow prep, I had another option. Worked great. Next up was mud flaps. I ordered and installed Duraflap product and once again, this is a top shelf product, easy to install and such great care was taken by the manufacture to even account for dissimilar metals. Most folks won’t even understand this but know it’s important for corrosion. Next I changed all the turns and brake lights over to LED and made all correction in Forscan to stop hyper flash. So there you go.  

Nice! The truck looks awesome. Did you get Duraflaps all around or are the front factory flaps okay. I'm waiting on a 2023 450 to show up and the Duraflaps will be one of my first additions.  

On 4/2/2023 at 6:20 AM, KevinLK said:

Nice! The truck looks awesome. Did you get Duraflaps all around or are the front factory flaps okay. I'm waiting on a 2023 450 to show up and the Duraflaps will be one of my first additions.  

The front factory flaps are fine, BUT, I did order a set up 10” stainless weights for them so they match the rears.