Trailer Hitch Receiver Size

Safety6

There is some confusion between my dealership and the F 250 website as to the exact size of the receiver hitch. I’ve ordered a F250 Lariat with the tremor and blackout package 1 June. The website says 2.5 or 3 inch. Can anyone confirm the actual size. I need to buy the correct hitch. Many Thanks 

When I went and ordered my truck I tried to get the 3" receiver hitch....

Until.....

I started looking at availability and pricing for those hitches...

If you just drag something around with 2 or 2 5/16 it's not bad. But once you start buying 3 and 4 hitches that money adds up quick.

I like having dedicated stuff I don't like having to swap things around from truck to truck the truck. Why do that I always forget s*** then end up not having it on the truck that I need it on.

So for the new truck I had to have a 2.5 hitch with a 2-inch ball, a 2 and 5/16 ball (I bought the curt one that flips over)

A 2.5 pintle hitch

And a 2.5 hitch for load distribution for the camper.

Then the goose ball

That's 4 hitches that stay on this truck and never leave.

I've used the reducer sleeves and don't like them. I found out in life anytime you have to use adapters it's never a good thing.. it's either sloppy or it wears out or you break stuff or whatever.

3" hitches you can order.... but I could not find 1 3" hitch between Advanced O'Reilly's AutoZone or Northern Tool in stock.

14 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

I like having dedicated stuff I don't like having to swap things around from truck to truck the truck. Why do that I always forget s*** then end up not having it on the truck that I need it on.

I bought a multiple size adapter, it fits very tight.  Ford gave me 3 --> 2.5", but I got the 3 --> 2.5 --> 2" from etrailer.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm that our new trucks do not come with the reduced sleeve? My dealership said that Ford has discontinued these? If so I’m looking for the best reducer? If there is such one, didn’t like 2017 sleeve, will need to upgrade the hitch’s, more money gone.

1 hour ago, 35FordTudor said:

Can anyone confirm that our new trucks do not come with the reduced sleeve? My dealership said that Ford has discontinued these? If so I’m looking for the best reducer? If there is such one, didn’t like 2017 sleeve, will need to upgrade the hitch’s, more money gone.

My F350D came with a 3-->2.5" reducer

6 hours ago, 35FordTudor said:

m

My 2017 had 2.5"-->2" reducer. My 2022 has 2.5" receiver and no reducer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CaptainKopper said:

Picked up tonight, 3" to 2 1/2" reducer included. Dealer told me that Ford doesn't offer the 2 1/2" to 2" anymore. 

Figures. Guess that will be on my list also. Not going to replace my weight dist hitch. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are towing relatively heavy I would advise not to use a reducer sleeve. I used one on my Ram when I had a bumper pull toy hauler that weighed around 11K lbs and it had enough play in it to start to cause some wear on the receiver. Maybe these SD's come with sleeves that fit nicely but I didn't have the best of luck.

• Thanks 1