Ford CEO Farley Cracking Down on Dealer Markups

Ford CEO Farley Cracking Down Hard on $3.6 Billion Dealer Markups

Won't send dealers cars if they charge too much

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/ford-cracking-down-3-6-billion-dealer-markups

"We have very good knowledge of who they are, and their future allocation of product will be directly impacted," Farley said.

Jim Farley_Ford Lightning.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 2

The dealer I bought my 2021 Bronco from originally wanted a 7K mark up for mine...I told 'em to stuff it and went to another dealer and ordered one (while there, I took a selfie of me in the showroom and sent it to the salesman) about a week later they "caved" and sold me my Bronco for "only" sticker price...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Here's an example I came across this morning from Ford Country in Las Vegas. 9 Bronco's available... 7 are used. Talk about big ADM's!

What the heck! Those are some crazy markups! That cactus gray first edition they have listed there is almost as expensive as an S Class Mercedes!

Does Farley intend on cracking down on all of the model markups or just the electric vehicle segment?

22 minutes ago, KingRanchRuby said:

Does Farley intend on cracking down on all of the model markups or just the electric vehicle segment?

Just the electric vehicle segment for now, though other Ford executives have scolded some dealers for markups on ICE powered vehicles such as Bronco.

Farley said the following to the Fox Business reporter.

"This is quite an important topic because the margins that we want to build to in BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) are gonna be heavily dependent on a different go-to-market and customer experience," Farley said. 

"I won't go into any more than that, but this is a quite important lesson for us of the franchise system and the way we will manage going forward."

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Here's an example I came across this morning from Ford Country in Las Vegas. 9 Bronco's available... 7 are used. Talk about big ADM's!

Ford Country_2022-02-06_Bronco_01.jpg

A few questions:

1. How do they get away with saying MSRP is $74,605 on that first one?  That is blatant misrepresentation, should be false advertising.  The window sticker clearly shows it was $44,305.  I have never understood why AG's in the states don't come down hard on dealers for putting up MSRP's that are not the MSRP.

2. Both of those Broncos have green window stickers, so did they just screw over the person who ordered them, or did they put in false retail sold orders, or were they legitimate cases of people not being able to swing it once the vehicle came in or they just moved on due to time.

3. The used ones are all less than 300 miles, either they purposely titled them or they had a bunch of customers with price agreements that they bought back to sell as used.  It all smells pretty shady though.  I saw something on VinWiki about that kind of thing being common for McLaren's though.

9 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Ford Country_2022-02-06_Bronco_01.jpg

Gotta love the GENEROUS $300 dealer discount* on that first one

*after you add the $30k markup.

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

A few questions:

1. How do they get away with saying MSRP is $74,605 on that first one?  That is blatant misrepresentation, should be false advertising.  The window sticker clearly shows it was $44,305.  I have never understood why AG's in the states don't come down hard on dealers for putting up MSRP's that are not the MSRP.

2. Both of those Broncos have green window stickers, so did they just screw over the person who ordered them, or did they put in false retail sold orders, or were they legitimate cases of people not being able to swing it once the vehicle came in or they just moved on due to time.

3. The used ones are all less than 300 miles, either they purposely titled them or they had a bunch of customers with price agreements that they bought back to sell as used.  It all smells pretty shady though.  I saw something on VinWiki about that kind of thing being common for McLaren's though.

What's a "green" window sticker?

Probably legitimate orders that people moved on from - Ford was trying to crack down on fake orders.

Some of them could have been dealer mannequins that have to then be sold as used.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Gotta love the GENEROUS $300 dealer discount* on that first one

*after you add the $30k markup.

What's a "green" window sticker?

Probably legitimate orders that people moved on from - Ford was trying to crack down on fake orders.

Some of them could have been dealer mannequins that have to then be sold as used.

My understanding is that green window stickers are retail (customer spec'd) orders, blue are dealer stock.  Also the green ones say "special order" at the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

My understanding is that green window stickers are retail (customer spec'd) orders, blue are dealer stock.  Also the green ones say "special order" at the bottom.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on that when mine comes in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flying68 said:

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on that when mine comes in.

Example green sticker from a new 2022 F-150 sold order. I think this one went to a dealership in Indiana.

greensticker.jpg

17 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Just the electric vehicle segment for now, though other Ford executives have scolded some dealers for markups on ICE powered vehicles such as Bronco.

Farley said the following to the Fox Business reporter.

So what's the average markup on a Mach E? I believe I heard somewhere as much as $10,000 on the long range models. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

So what's the average markup on a Mach E? I believe I heard somewhere as much as $10,000 on the long range models. 

That sounds about right FordBuyer sir. At the high end, I've seen markups of nearly $30,000 on long range models, like this example at Angela Krause Ford near Atlanta. MSRP = $51,740, asking price = $80,740. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Alpharetta GA | Sandy Springs Cumming Gwinnett Georgia 3FMTK2R78MMA43762 (angelakrauseford.com)