Edge beyond 2022

ford5

If I missed any previous discussions I apologize for starting another thread.  What is the future of the Edge beyond 2022?  I know the push is to electric but I hate to see the Edge or something similar disappear as a segment.  We like the comfort and room of a larger 2 row SUV.  Any hope for an Edge hybrid to fill the gap before all-electric takes over?  I believe we will see a slow down to all-electric in a couple of years when the realization hits that the electricity infrastructure can not handle the majority of vehicles becoming electric.   

sort of bums me out they are killing the edge

i can say for us the 1st edge an 08 and the second 2012 have been great

two adults and 2 dogs

my wife loves the fact you can carry 5 large coolers and groceries on her bi annual 100 mile trip to the commissary

plus get 23 mpg at 80 ?

tried to get her to look at explorers to replace it, but she really likes the size and comfort of the edge. 

1 hour ago, powerboatr said:

sort of bums me out they are killing the edge

i can say for us the 1st edge an 08 and the second 2012 have been great

two adults and 2 dogs

my wife loves the fact you can carry 5 large coolers and groceries on her bi annual 100 mile trip to the commissary

plus get 23 mpg at 80 ?

tried to get her to look at explorers to replace it, but she really likes the size and comfort of the edge. 

Buy a new one and keep it as long as possible.  Or upgrade to a Nautilus.

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, ford5 said:

The Escape isn't nearly as comfortable as the Edge and we don't need the size of the Explorer.  Frustrating but I understand the need to limit vehicle offerings.  

My lease on my 2019 Ford Escape ended and I just got a 2022 Ford Edge SEL Adventure. I loved my Escape, was a well made vehicle with a lot of features, but truth be total, I love the Edge. More room, more comfortable, more power and that 12" screen for radio and climate is beyond compare. I hope Ford figures out was to do about the Edge after 2023. It's my first one Edge and I hope not the last. 

Highest rate Consumer's Report Ford vehicle and a recommended buy. None of their other models come close except the Bronco Sport. 

IMG_2558.HEIC

IMG_2557.HEIC

IMG_2556.HEIC

IMG_2554.HEIC

Edited by Copper_Man
Add photos of my new ride.

I hated to see Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis and Focus wagon dropped, but Ford doesn't owe it to me to build cars with inadequate return on investment, and I will adjust to what is available and affordable if/when I buy again 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ford5 said:

I totally understand and agree.  If Ford doesn't offer something comparable to the Edge we will simply go to the competition.

And they’re fine with that because they’ll be gaining new buyers with the new products.   Some people seem to forget that they’re not simply cutting back and dropping vehicles - they’re replacing them.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

And they’re fine with that because they’ll be gaining new buyers with the new products.   Some people seem to forget that they’re not simply cutting back and dropping vehicles - they’re replacing them.

So... what is the replacement for the Edge?  I read this morning that the Escape may also be headed to the scrap heap.  I'm guessing there is a new all-electric SUV in the works that will fill the Edge-Escape gap.  The electric infrastructure has a long way to go to be ready for all-electric vehicles the government is pushing on us.  I may order one of the last Edges or Muranos or move to a hybrid like the Venza. 

40 minutes ago, ford5 said:

So... what is the replacement for the Edge?  I read this morning that the Escape may also be headed to the scrap heap.  I'm guessing there is a new all-electric SUV in the works that will fill the Edge-Escape gap.  The electric infrastructure has a long way to go to be ready for all-electric vehicles the government is pushing on us.  I may order one of the last Edges or Muranos or move to a hybrid like the Venza. 

Definitely BEVs.  Remember we’re not talking about replacing it in the marketplace, we’re talking about replacing it within product development and manufacturing.

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

And even though BEVs aren’t for everybody yet, Ford needs to have them available and ready to go especially when govts are looking to mandate them.

By the time Ford is ready to roll these, the current administration will be a thing of past and their looney green energy mandates with them. Ford and all car makers would be wise not to divest themselves of gas powered cars. You can't make it from NYC to Florida without stopping at least 4 times to recharge and at 7.5 hrs or better that makes it a terrible option. Have you seen the lines for public charging stations? 

Edited by Copper_Man
typo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Copper_Man said:

By the time Ford is ready to roll these, the current administration will be a thing of past and they looney green energy mandates with them. Ford and all car makers would be wise not to divest themselves of gas powered cars. You can't make it from from NYC to Florida without stopping at least 4 times to recharge and at 7.5 or better that makes it a terrible option. Have you seen the lines for public charging stations? 

I totally agree.  The lines will only get longer until many more charging stations come on line.  At government expense!  And how long will it take for our current electrical infrastructure to be built up to handle the majority of Americans charging their electric cars?  What will be the cost?  How will that increased electric demand be generated?  It's going to be very ugly.  I hope the manufacturers keep all options open going forward.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ford5 said:

I totally agree.  The lines will only get longer until many more charging stations come on line.  At government expense!  And how long will it take for our current electrical infrastructure to be built up to handle the majority of Americans charging their electric cars?  What will be the cost?  How will that increased electric demand be generated?  It's going to be very ugly.  I hope the manufacturers keep all options open going forward.

It will be at taxpayer expense, and they expect wind and solar to produce enough electricity to drive all those recharging stations? It is a farce. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Copper_Man said:

By the time Ford is ready to roll these, the current administration will be a thing of past and their looney green energy mandates with them. Ford and all car makers would be wise not to divest themselves of gas powered cars. You can't make it from NYC to Florida without stopping at least 4 times to recharge and at 7.5 hrs or better that makes it a terrible option. Have you seen the lines for public charging stations? 

I agree with your sentiment but suspect the mandates are here to stay, despite the consequences for most of us.