Jump to content

The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

ford5

Edge beyond 2022

Recommended Posts

If I missed any previous discussions I apologize for starting another thread.  What is the future of the Edge beyond 2022?  I know the push is to electric but I hate to see the Edge or something similar disappear as a segment.  We like the comfort and room of a larger 2 row SUV.  Any hope for an Edge hybrid to fill the gap before all-electric takes over?  I believe we will see a slow down to all-electric in a couple of years when the realization hits that the electricity infrastructure can not handle the majority of vehicles becoming electric.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edge's days are numbered.  A hybrid isn't happening.  The platform just didn't leave room for a battery.  Ford has said the Edge is done after the 2023 model year.  Everything that comes after will be full EV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update, 92.  That's what I was afraid of.  Living in a rural area with a full EV will be tough.  The next few years will be very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Edge really is the perfect-sized vehicle when you have 2 or fewer kids.  Monstrous back seat, great storage, and is super comfy for front passengers as well.  I hope that something similar sized is offered in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, once Edge is gone, you either have to move up to the Explorer, or down to the Escape.  Both have hybrids and were built ready for such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Escape isn't nearly as comfortable as the Edge and we don't need the size of the Explorer.  Frustrating but I understand the need to limit vehicle offerings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Fusion Active was going to fill that gap at one time.  Maybe they’ll rethink a C2 hybrid Edge given the new landscape, especially if there is excess capacity in Louisville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be good news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the Fusion Active been killed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ford5 said:

Has the Fusion Active been killed?


It just quietly disappeared.  At least I haven’t seen anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sort of bums me out they are killing the edge

i can say for us the 1st edge an 08 and the second 2012 have been great

two adults and 2 dogs

 

my wife loves the fact you can carry 5 large coolers and groceries on her bi annual 100 mile trip to the commissary

plus get 23 mpg at 80 😱

tried to get her to look at explorers to replace it, but she really likes the size and comfort of the edge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powerboatr said:

sort of bums me out they are killing the edge

i can say for us the 1st edge an 08 and the second 2012 have been great

two adults and 2 dogs

 

my wife loves the fact you can carry 5 large coolers and groceries on her bi annual 100 mile trip to the commissary

plus get 23 mpg at 80 😱

tried to get her to look at explorers to replace it, but she really likes the size and comfort of the edge. 


Buy a new one and keep it as long as possible.  Or upgrade to a Nautilus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, ford5 said:

The Escape isn't nearly as comfortable as the Edge and we don't need the size of the Explorer.  Frustrating but I understand the need to limit vehicle offerings.  

My lease on my 2019 Ford Escape ended and I just got a 2022 Ford Edge SEL Adventure. I loved my Escape, was a well made vehicle with a lot of features, but truth be total, I love the Edge. More room, more comfortable, more power and that 12" screen for radio and climate is beyond compare. I hope Ford figures out was to do about the Edge after 2023. It's my first one Edge and I hope not the last. 

 

Highest rate Consumer's Report Ford vehicle and a recommended buy. None of their other models come close except the Bronco Sport. 

IMG_2558.HEIC

IMG_2557.HEIC

IMG_2556.HEIC

IMG_2554.HEIC

Edited by Copper_Man
Add photos of my new ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, Copper.  The Edge is perfect for us and I hate to see it dropped.  Ford has nothing to compare to it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated to see Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis and Focus wagon dropped, but Ford doesn't owe it to me to build cars with inadequate return on investment, and I will adjust to what is available and affordable if/when I buy again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally understand and agree.  If Ford doesn't offer something comparable to the Edge we will simply go to the competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ford5 said:

I totally understand and agree.  If Ford doesn't offer something comparable to the Edge we will simply go to the competition.


And they’re fine with that because they’ll be gaining new buyers with the new products.   Some people seem to forget that they’re not simply cutting back and dropping vehicles - they’re replacing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, akirby said:


And they’re fine with that because they’ll be gaining new buyers with the new products.   Some people seem to forget that they’re not simply cutting back and dropping vehicles - they’re replacing them.

So... what is the replacement for the Edge?  I read this morning that the Escape may also be headed to the scrap heap.  I'm guessing there is a new all-electric SUV in the works that will fill the Edge-Escape gap.  The electric infrastructure has a long way to go to be ready for all-electric vehicles the government is pushing on us.  I may order one of the last Edges or Muranos or move to a hybrid like the Venza. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ford5 said:

So... what is the replacement for the Edge?  I read this morning that the Escape may also be headed to the scrap heap.  I'm guessing there is a new all-electric SUV in the works that will fill the Edge-Escape gap.  The electric infrastructure has a long way to go to be ready for all-electric vehicles the government is pushing on us.  I may order one of the last Edges or Muranos or move to a hybrid like the Venza. 


Definitely BEVs.  Remember we’re not talking about replacing it in the marketplace, we’re talking about replacing it within product development and manufacturing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And even though BEVs aren’t for everybody yet, Ford needs to have them available and ready to go especially when govts are looking to mandate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, akirby said:

And even though BEVs aren’t for everybody yet, Ford needs to have them available and ready to go especially when govts are looking to mandate them.

By the time Ford is ready to roll these, the current administration will be a thing of past and their looney green energy mandates with them. Ford and all car makers would be wise not to divest themselves of gas powered cars. You can't make it from NYC to Florida without stopping at least 4 times to recharge and at 7.5 hrs or better that makes it a terrible option. Have you seen the lines for public charging stations? 

Edited by Copper_Man
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Copper_Man said:

By the time Ford is ready to roll these, the current administration will be a thing of past and they looney green energy mandates with them. Ford and all car makers would be wise not to divest themselves of gas powered cars. You can't make it from from NYC to Florida without stopping at least 4 times to recharge and at 7.5 or better that makes it a terrible option. Have you seen the lines for public charging stations? 

 

I totally agree.  The lines will only get longer until many more charging stations come on line.  At government expense!  And how long will it take for our current electrical infrastructure to be built up to handle the majority of Americans charging their electric cars?  What will be the cost?  How will that increased electric demand be generated?  It's going to be very ugly.  I hope the manufacturers keep all options open going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ford5 said:

 

I totally agree.  The lines will only get longer until many more charging stations come on line.  At government expense!  And how long will it take for our current electrical infrastructure to be built up to handle the majority of Americans charging their electric cars?  What will be the cost?  How will that increased electric demand be generated?  It's going to be very ugly.  I hope the manufacturers keep all options open going forward.

It will be at taxpayer expense, and they expect wind and solar to produce enough electricity to drive all those recharging stations? It is a farce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Copper_Man said:

By the time Ford is ready to roll these, the current administration will be a thing of past and their looney green energy mandates with them. Ford and all car makers would be wise not to divest themselves of gas powered cars. You can't make it from NYC to Florida without stopping at least 4 times to recharge and at 7.5 hrs or better that makes it a terrible option. Have you seen the lines for public charging stations? 

 

I agree with your sentiment but suspect the mandates are here to stay, despite the consequences for most of us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ehaase said:

 

I agree with your sentiment but suspect the mandates are here to stay, despite the consequences for most of us. 

 

Hopefully not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×