Railyard to Dealer

mfiggs22

Does anyone know timeframe for when your truck was delivered to the railyard to the dealer?  My truck was delivered and offloaded at the railyard on Feb 9.  The dealer is about a mile away from my dealer.  Can the dealer go get the truck or do they need to wait for it to be delivered?  Thanks

43 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Mine took two weeks, I told the dealer I would pay extra for them to go down and get it but they could not.

That's was a long two weeks! I felt like that fat kid in front of a candy store window waiting for the store to open......it was a brutal wait!

Holy cow, I hope that doesn’t happen to me. So frustrating!

56 minutes ago, mattdm said:

Mine took 25 days. there was nothing the dealer could do about it as transport is contracted by ford and its technically still fords truck until it arrives at the dealership.

That's a frustrating experience to have it sit that long. Hoping mine doesn't take to long from railyard to dealer.

5 hours ago, mattdm said:

Mine took 25 days. there was nothing the dealer could do about it as transport is contracted by ford and its technically still fords truck until it arrives at the dealership.

Mine is at the rail yard now waiting for transport but I hope to hell it doesn't take 25 days. Wow, talk about frustrating.

I'm starting to realize that a big part of what we are all experiencing in the form of stress, frustration and anxiety about our trucks on order is the information age creates an expectation that things should flow with no delays, but the reality is this is exactly the way the process has always worked, and dealers just accepted that when the product showed up at the dealer's lot, that's when they knew it was there.  Now that many if not most orders are being built as custom orders and not dealer stock, we grow anxious to get what we ordered, after all, Amazon delivers what we order in most cases in two days and UPS and FedEx allow us to know every single step and scan at every point the item moves.  This forum and most of the discussion is mostly concerned about where the order is and why have I not received it yet.  I'm almost afraid to ask about my order hoping that no new delays are realized, and I feel very lucky my truck is planned to be built less than 2 months after I ordered it.

I can relate to all the frustration with our truck builds and transportation issues as I recently imported a machine from overseas and I was able to track the item until it got to the port of LA, then got on a train and lost all updates until it cleared customs in Atlanta.  Turns out the machine was in my SC town in a warehouse for almost two months and UPS was unable to tell me where it was or when I'd get it.  When I learned which warehouse it was stored in, UPS wouldn't allow me to go and get it, I had to wait until they delivered it.  I ordered the machine in July 2021, took 8 weeks to build, two weeks on the water and the rest of the time from it was somewhere in USA and so I just took possession 2/4/2022.  It took 6 months from time of order to my shop but only took 10 weeks to get built and ocean shipped and on US soil.  I think this is typical timing for custom machines, we just usually buy things from dealers who have stock and have very little knowledge how long things take from time of order to being in stock.

Bottom line, I think we all just need to chill, if Ford accepted and confirmed an order, they can't get paid until it delivers so they desperately need to get paid.  With that being said, it's in Ford's best interest to get it built and shipped asap.

787Toolman

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mfiggs22 said:

Atlas blue how long has it been there? Mine has been there since Wednesday. Hoping it doesn't take 25 days!!

I think it's been there since Friday as that's when the dealer gave me a call. Unfortunately my dealer refuses to give me a copy of the VVR so I know for sure, but I'll get an update from cyberdman on Tuesday where I can get more information on when it actually arrived.

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

Bottom line, I think we all just need to chill, if Ford accepted and confirmed an order, they can't get paid until it delivers so they desperately need to get paid.  With that being said, it's in Ford's best interest to get it built and shipped asap.

787Toolman

I think your "chill" attitude would probably change a bit if you had to wait 6 to 8 months to get your truck. And I don't think it has always worked this way either. Before Covid, I'm sure there were retail orders direct to the factory, but I'm willing to bet they were built a lot faster than they are today. And if you look at any Ford lot and see the vastness of the empty space where they once had inventory, we all know the commodity and supply chain issues has had a dramatic effect on build times and stock. So I don't blame all of this on Ford. I do think Ford can do things a bit better, and I'll note those in my survey after I get my truck.

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to Railyard to Dealer
46 minutes ago, Kevin208 said:

ice-capades I asked my salesman to look it up in the VVP and got a generic answer of " its on its way " thats why I asked here 

Forget dealing with the sales representative as they know little about the details of the retail order, scheduling, production and shipping processes and the resources available. In particular, very few know about the Vehicle Visibility reporting system, how to use it or may not have access to it. If you want the rail carrier and rail car number, you need to talk directly to either the sales manager or the individual that manages their order bank. If they tell you it's not in the report, or give you some other excuse, they either can't be bothered, don't know what they're doing or simply incompetent. Id that's the case, you'll know to take your business elsewhere for your next vehicle.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 1:10 AM, mfiggs22 said:

Atlas blue how long has it been there? Mine has been there since Wednesday. Hoping it doesn't take 25 days!!

So I got a call today from my salesman to inform me that the truck had been delivered at the dealership. They were going to get it ready for me to pick up this afternoon. But somehow going to pick up a new truck and spending a couple hours or more in the sales/finance office was not on the top of the wife's list for things to do on Valentines day :) So I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon instead. I was really surprised on the quick delivery to the dealership, but I don't know for sure when it arrived in town. All I know is that as of last Tuesday it was still listed as being in Havre, MT by cyberdman.

cyberdman informed me this morning that my truck arrived at the rail yard on the 9th and was delivered to the dealership on the 14th. But he also noted that was unusually fast for a transfer. Spokane is one of the major BNSF hubs for their automotive transfers and it's only 8 miles from the railyard to the dealer. Or perhaps the dealer interceded "Will you please get this guys truck delivered so he will stop pestering us!" :)

Edited by AtlasBlue350

15 minutes ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

cyberdman informed me this morning that my truck arrived at the rail yard on the 9th and was delivered to the dealership on the 14th. But he also noted that was unusually fast for a transfer. Perhaps the dealer interceded "Will you please get this guys truck delivered so he will stop pestering us!" :) Or the timing was just right.

Awesome news! Be sure to post some pics. Not sure why the wife wouldn’t want you to be happy on v-day and go with you to the dealership ?

14 minutes ago, tcritch3 said:

Awesome news! Be sure to post some pics. Not sure why the wife wouldn’t want you to be happy on v-day and go with you to the dealership ?

Will do, and concerning the wife, I agree. What better way for them to show their love than to let us go pick up a new truck. But for some odd reason, they don't see it that way! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1