Balancing Beads vs Wheel Weights

Gharri30

I have a 22 F250 7.3 Lariat being built so I'm trying to get some things together for when it finally gets get here. This will be the first truck I lift and put on aftermarket wheels. 4" BDS lift with 22x12s and 37x13.50s. While building some wheel and tire packages online to see some pricing I was hit with the option of balancing beads, which I'm not familiar with. Does anyone have experience with them vs the standard wheel weights? I didn't think about it before but with the deeper lip on the 12 wides, wouldn't regular wheel weights take away from the look of the wheel or are they normally balanced a different way? Forgive my ignorance. I'll take any insight anyone can provide. Thanks. 

Edited by Gharri30

This is common on larger size of tires that often require large amounts of conventional lead on the rim barrel to balance out.

I had 35x12.5 on one of my older trucks. The tire shop "installed" a pre-determined amount of beads and the tires never came out of balance, even when they wore out.

My F550 with 19.5's had beads in the four outer aluminum wheels and conventional hammer-on weights on the inner steel wheels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoPistons said:

This is common on larger size of tires that often require large amounts of conventional lead on the rim barrel to balance out.

I had 35x12.5 on one of my older trucks. The tire shop "installed" a pre-determined amount of beads and the tires never came out of balance, even when they wore out.

My F550 with 19.5's had beads in the four outer aluminum wheels and conventional hammer-on weights on the inner steel wheels.

Guess that's why I've never seen anything regarding them. Never run anything over a 33 on stock wheel. Guess I'll need to take that into consideration now.