SRW Tremor F-250 with Trailer Tow High Capacity package vs. SRW F-350

Cglenn

All F250 Tremors, whether gas or diesel, are basically derated F350s Tremors.  They have the same rear axle and leaf pack.

The only difference is the gvwr rating…F250 diesel with hcttp is 10,800 gvwr and F350 diesel is somewhere around mid to high 11s, up to 12k gvwr…hcttp also gets you 3.55 rear gears and pretty high tow capability.

Gas F250 Tremor is generally 10k gvwr and F350 gas is generally around 11.3k gvwr.

The F250 diesel with hcttp is 800lbs higher than gas because of the heavier Diesel engine, but their payload ratings are equivalent.

Hope that helps.

Edited by sjmcken81
Correction

On 2/16/2022 at 6:50 AM, Cglenn said:

What’s the difference? Is it just the rear spring pack and/or block?

SRW F350 has two available GVWRs, one is 10k, the optional is 11.4k, which one are you asking about?  Is your question about GVWR or GCWR comparison?  There are many different choices and options that make it difficult to make this comparison.  But at first glance, it would appear no advantage to buy an F350 vs an F250 with HCTTP.  According to towing capacity charts, they both have same ratings with same engine and axle ratios, I think the real difference is in the payload capacity and that depends on the GVWR that is selected on F350.

787Toolman

If you’re planning on doing any fifth wheel towing, you’ll hit your payload capacity way sooner on the 250 vs 350. If bumper pull trailers are all you’re towing then a 250 would do. My opinion is that the cost difference is so minimal that it makes sense to go 350 but every situation is different so it may not make sense for others. 

6 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

SRW F350 has two available GVWRs, one is 10k, the optional is 11.4k, which one are you asking about?  Is your question about GVWR or GCWR comparison?  There are many different choices and options that make it difficult to make this comparison.  But at first glance, it would appear no advantage to buy an F350 vs an F250 with HCTTP.  According to towing capacity charts, they both have same ratings with same engine and axle ratios, I think the real difference is in the payload capacity and that depends on the GVWR that is selected on F350.

787Toolman

Not quite right, 10k is optional, as is 11.4k.  Both of these are designed for states where capacity has a legal meaning.

Standard is (IRC) 13.4k.  Unless you have a legal or registration reason for lower GVWR, don't choose the optional restricted load limits.

16 minutes ago, road turtle said:

Not quite right, 10k is optional, as is 11.4k.  Both of these are designed for states where capacity has a legal meaning.

Standard is (IRC) 13.4k.  Unless you have a legal or registration reason for lower GVWR, don't choose the optional restricted load limits.

Does that show up in the order guide anywhere, if so, I missed it?  Also, if that is the case, the question I had is even more pertinent that the thread starter is asking for a comparison of F250 with HCTTP vs. F350 but if you're correct, you'd have to know which of three different GVWRs for F350.  Plus, the other question I had is the question about comparing GVWRs or GCWRs.

57 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

Does that show up in the order guide anywhere, if so, I missed it?  Also, if that is the case, the question I had is even more pertinent that the thread starter is asking for a comparison of F250 with HCTTP vs. F350 but if you're correct, you'd have to know which of three different GVWRs for F350.  Plus, the other question I had is the question about comparing GVWRs or GCWRs.

Those are optional gvwr.  Choose neither one unless you need to.

Looks like std is 14k in tow guide docs

Edited by road turtle
added tow guide info

19 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

No worries RT, at least we all learned something except the thread starter didn't get his question answered but not sure it can be without more info.

It's been reported, but I didn't investigate myself, the only diff between HPCC and F350 is the rear spring, AND a lower capacity sticker on the F250 HPCC.

I looked up where I probably got the 14k from, and that's the limit on a class 3 truck

46 minutes ago, road turtle said:

It's been reported, but I didn't investigate myself, the only diff between HPCC and F350 is the rear spring, AND a lower capacity sticker on the F250 HPCC.

I looked up where I probably got the 14k from, and that's the limit on a class 3 truck

Gents - RT and Toolman

I believe I did answer the op very early on as it relates to F250 Tremors…we have a 7.3l F250 Platti Tremor on long wait order ourselves.

All F250 Tremors have the same rear leaf pack and axle as an F350 Tremor…it is basically a derated 350 Tremor:, with lower gvwr, and hence lower payload…other than door sticker, an F250 Tremor is the same as an F350 Tremor.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, sjmcken81 said:

Gents - RT and Toolman

I believe I did answer the op very early on as it relates to F250 Tremors…we have a 7.3l F250 Platti Tremor on long wait order ourselves.

All F250 Tremors have the same rear leaf pack and axle as an F350 Tremor…it is basically a derated 350 Tremor:, with lower gvwr, and hence lower payload…other than door sticker, an F250 Tremor is the same as an F350 Tremor.

Hope that helps.

SJM, I think I misunderstood the original question as I didn't read the question to apply to both models as Tremors. Based on your comments, the question apparently was comparing F250 and F350 both with Tremor package. If that was the original question, then what you said seems plausible but then we should ask why would anyone buy an F250 Tremor vs. F350 or why would Ford offer both if they are the same thing as far as parts and components?  

787Toolman

14 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

SJM, I think I misunderstood the original question as I didn't read the question to apply to both models as Tremors. Based on your comments, the question apparently was comparing F250 and F350 both with Tremor package. If that was the original question, then what you said seems plausible but then we should ask why would anyone buy an F250 Tremor vs. F350 or why would Ford offer both if they are the same thing as far as parts and components?  

787Toolman

it wasn’t, it was comparing an F250 Tremor with hcttp, which is only with a diesel, to a srw F350.

My theory why Ford is making Tremors the same F250/350 is it’s easier to build that way…the F250 Tremors are really derated F350 Tremors.

Something I didn’t mention earlier is, you also cannot get an F250 diesel Tremor without hcttp, which gives it 10.8 gvwr vs 10k gvwr on the 7.3l gasser.  This makes the diesel and gasser payload similar, and basically makes it same as F350 Tremor and similar to a non-Tremor F350 for rear leaf packs and axles.  There is one moderate difference between a non-Tremor F350 and a Tremor F350:  that is the non Tremor has a rear axle rating (gawr) of 7230lbs, while the Tremor is 6950lbs, which might likely mean lower payload.

The real reason we ordered an F250 7.3l gas Platti Tremor vs an F350 Tremor was because of vehicle property taxes and registration on vehicles over 10k gvwr, they’re higher where we live in Virginnie.  Also, we expect our Tremor Platti as optioned to have a legal payload of just over 2600lbs, while true payload capability is more like 3900lbs, just not legally.

Been doing Tremor homework for almost two years now…if you need/want further confirmation on this information, go to the dedicated Tremor forum.

?

15 minutes ago, sjmcken81 said:

it wasn’t, it was comparing an F250 Tremor with hcttp, which is only with a diesel, to a srw F350.

My theory why Ford is making Tremors the same F250/350 is it’s easier to build that way…the F250 Tremors are really derated F350 Tremors.

Something I didn’t mention earlier is, you also cannot get an F250 diesel Tremor without hcttp, which gives it 10.8 gvwr vs 10k gvwr on the 7.3l gasser.  This makes the diesel and gasser payload similar, and basically makes it same as F350 Tremor and similar to a non-Tremor F350 for rear leaf packs and axles.  There is one moderate difference between a non-Tremor F350 and a Tremor F350:  that is the non Tremor has a rear axle rating (gawr) of 7230lbs, while the Tremor is 6950lbs, which might likely mean lower payload.

The real reason we ordered an F250 7.3l gas Platti Tremor vs an F350 Tremor was because of vehicle property taxes and registration on vehicles over 10k gvwr, they’re higher where we live in Virginnie.  Also, we expect our Tremor Platti as optioned to have a legal payload of just over 2600lbs, while true payload capability is more like 3900lbs, just not legally.

Been doing Tremor homework for almost two years now…if you need/want further confirmation on this information, go to the dedicated Tremor forum.

?

dangit man, that's what I meant, the F250 Tremor with HCTTP vs. the F350 Tremor, I forgot to add the HCTTP.

16 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

dangit man, that's what I meant, the F250 Tremor with HCTTP vs. the F350 Tremor, I forgot to add the HCTTP.

Toolman,

Yep, really same truck.

All F250 diesel Tremors have/require hcttp…can’t get a diesel 250 Tremor without it…only thing hcttp on a diesel get you over the gasser is 3” receiver, thus giving higher tow rating because of both diesel motor and heavier/stronger hitch receiver.

17 minutes ago, sjmcken81 said:

Toolman,

Yep, really same truck.

All F250 diesel Tremors have/require hcttp…can’t get a diesel 250 Tremor without it…only thing hcttp on a diesel get you over the gasser is 3” receiver, thus giving higher tow rating because of both diesel motor and heavier/stronger hitch receiver.

SJM, I think I should have just butted out of this thread; I knew the F250 Tremor came with HCTTP, I think I've wasted everyone's time getting in the middle of this bungled thread.  We're busy going back and forth discussing something the original poster didn't even ask and I keep making mistakes saying something not 100% correct and then spend more time trying to clean it up, I need a beer or maybe six?.

Thanks man...

787Toolman

14 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

SJM, I think I should have just butted out of this thread; I knew the F250 Tremor came with HCTTP, I think I've wasted everyone's time getting in the middle of this bungled thread.  We're busy going back and forth discussing something the original poster didn't even ask and I keep making mistakes saying something not 100% correct and then spend more time trying to clean it up, I need a beer or maybe six?.

Thanks man...

787Toolman

No worries.

I was confused and later amused when RT thought he had a 14k gvwr on a srw F350. ?

Enjoy that beer/s, I’m having a cocktail myself…rum and something.

Have a great night…peace out. 

• Like 1