RFK Sweeps the Duels

blksn8k2

Keselowski and Buescher won the qualifying races at Daytona. Great debut for Roush/Fenway/Keselowski Racing. I think the Ford teams simply out-foxed the competition, especially on their pit strategies. However, Stewart/Haas pretty much sucked with the exception of Briscoe. Lagano caused a mini Big One on the last lap of the second race. As he said afterwards, he would have finished no worse than 4th had he not tried to block Buescher. Now he will have to start the 500 from the rear in a backup car.

Correction, Joey actually starts 20th on Sunday. Not sure how that works but I guess it has something to do with different qualifying rules for Daytona. Maybe they are allowed to use their qualifying speed from Wed night instead of their Duel finishing position? Apparently going to a backup car doesn't affect that?  "shrug?"

On 2/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, blksn8k2 said:

Correction, Joey actually starts 20th on Sunday. Not sure how that works but I guess it has something to do with different qualifying rules for Daytona. Maybe they are allowed to use their qualifying speed from Wed night instead of their Duel finishing position? Apparently going to a backup car doesn't affect that?  "shrug?"

I *think* the way it works is that, while he 'starts' 20th, he has to go to the back of the pack because he went to a backup car.

14 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I *think* the way it works is that, while he 'starts' 20th, he has to go to the back of the pack because he went to a backup car.

Yes. He will officially be credited with a 20th place starting position but once he crosses the line at the green flag his position will revert to whatever he ends up lining up in at the tail of the field. 

Well, at least a Penske car won. I thought for sure Cindric and Blaney were going to wreck each other and give the win to Bubba. For all the changes to the car superspeedway racing is still pretty much pack racing and waiting for someone to screw up and wreck half the field. 

So did Cindric actually break anything on the car during his burnout or was it just flat tires?

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think it was flat tires and it caused him to get stuck on the banking. 

I thought I saw them pushing it backwards to victory lane which made me wonder if he broke something else. And he did say at the end of it "I hope you don't need this motor". I would have done the same thing...

Looks like that carbon fiber rear diffuser is a bit of an issue. If the rear goes too low it hits the pavement and starts to get ground away or, worst case, upsets the car and causes a spin-out. If the rear tires go flat the car cannot be towed to the garage without damaging the diffuser.

As was pointed out during qualifying for today's California race, the ride limiting blocks on the rear suspension are also a problem. When the tires go flat or the car bottoms out on a bump the car is hitting on those blocks and also unloading the suspension. Seems like a guaranteed way to cause more cautions as well as make those cautions last longer while trying to get cars off the track if their tires are flattened during a wreck (or a post race burnout)?

22 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Looks like that carbon fiber rear diffuser is a bit of an issue. If the rear goes too low it hits the pavement and starts to get ground away or, worst case, upsets the car and causes a spin-out. If the rear tires go flat the car cannot be towed to the garage without damaging the diffuser.

As was pointed out during qualifying for today's California race, the ride limiting blocks on the rear suspension are also a problem. When the tires go flat or the car bottoms out on a bump the car is hitting on those blocks and also unloading the suspension. Seems like a guaranteed way to cause more cautions as well as make those cautions last longer while trying to get cars off the track if their tires are flattened during a wreck (or a post race burnout)?

The cautions have made NASCAR unwatchable. A very fast racer builds a nice lead with 5 laps to go and then a restart and more often than not some lucky loser wins the race out of nowhere. The Daytona 500 is even worse with winning being pure luck over who is fastest. Maybe the best racer wins over the whole year, but the individual race events have been reduced to more luck than skill. Stay out of wrecks and win on last lap after restart caused by caution. 

42 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

The cautions have made NASCAR unwatchable. A very fast racer builds a nice lead with 5 laps to go and then a restart and more often than not some lucky loser wins the race out of nowhere. The Daytona 500 is even worse with winning being pure luck over who is fastest. Maybe the best racer wins over the whole year, but the individual race events have been reduced to more luck than skill. Stay out of wrecks and win on last lap after restart caused by caution. 

I hear ya, but it is the same for everyone. What would you want to happen after a caution, the leader before the caution takes the green at the same point he was in front of the second place car at the caution?

23 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

I hear ya, but it is the same for everyone. What would you want to happen after a caution, the leader before the caution takes the green at the same point he was in front of the second place car at the caution?

F1 has cautions and most often there are no lead changes because of restart except for the last F1 race for all the marbles. And look at all the flack over that. 

The main trouble with NASCAR cautions is that it rebunches up the field which leads to more crashes demolition style. The vehicle that comes through the smoke and smashed up cars wins the race. So if the lead racer has a 7 second lead with a few laps left, then if restart is needed, that racer should not lose that 7 seconds that was earned over many laps of racing. 

I get it that NASCAR wants different winners every race and is trying to even out the field. LeMans does that with BOP. But this constant rebunching up the field where more wrecks happen and strategy of winning is staying out destroying your car is not fun to watch. And it's not fair to the fastest drivers. There are other ways of balancing out the competition. 

49 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

What I don't like is the free pass if you're a lap down. That is really a stupid rule.

The rule was implemented to eliminate "racing back to the start/finish line" when a caution flag is thrown. Before the rule, all of the cars 'raced' back to the start/ finish, and in particular the leader of the race (if so inclined) could slow to allow some cars to unlap themselves before the leader himself crossed the line. This rule eliminated all of that tomfoolery. The rule was also implemented before the onset of the timing loops around the track that "lock in the placing of the cars" once the yellow is thrown - with that tech now in place, your point is a very good one - there's certainly no excuse to continue the current practice.

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

They should stop the free pass altogether.  If you’re a lap down when the yellow comes out you stay a lap down.  If you’re ahead of the leader you can go around.  Change to single file starts for the last 20-50 laps.

I like it. The whole point of the free pass was a compromise when they eliminated racing back to the yellow. Getting a lap back used to be either earned or every now and then at the leader's discretion how many cars he let pass before he officially took the yellow. 

On 2/28/2022 at 11:47 AM, FordBuyer said:

I agree its hard to watch with so many laps of caution and changes the outcome of the race almost every week!