Hard Tonneau Cover that works with Gooseneck/5th Wheel Towing

Toe Truck

Waiting on my ordered F350 CCSB 7.3 Lariat Ultimate w/ 5th wheel prep (current estimated build date 3/7).  Looking for input on a secure tonneau cover that works with the CHMBL camera for hooking up, maybe occasional checking on RV/cargo.  I like the fold up type (Gator FX3, BAK, etc.) and some look like they may not block the CHMBL camera.  I've seen the roll-up hard covers (like the revolver), which seem to be the best solution.  Anyone out there found the best solution?  It seems the roll-ups are convenient and secure, but mixed reviews on long-term use.  I also am concerned about whether the rails on the flush-mount  type covers interfere with the use of a 5th wheel or goosebox.

If anyone has a cover they like and works for towing I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Toe_Truck

12 hours ago, Toe Truck said:

Waiting on my ordered F350 CCSB 7.3 Lariat Ultimate w/ 5th wheel prep (current estimated build date 3/7).  Looking for input on a secure tonneau cover that works with the CHMBL camera for hooking up, maybe occasional checking on RV/cargo.  I like the fold up type (Gator FX3, BAK, etc.) and some look like they may not block the CHMBL camera.  I've seen the roll-up hard covers (like the revolver), which seem to be the best solution.  Anyone out there found the best solution?  It seems the roll-ups are convenient and secure, but mixed reviews on long-term use.  I also am concerned about whether the rails on the flush-mount  type covers interfere with the use of a 5th wheel or goosebox.

If anyone has a cover they like and works for towing I'd like to hear about it.

Toesies,

I have the Ford optional cover that is very likely made by retrax.  I love it, because I can lock the cover just in front of the hitch, and the stuff undercover stays dry.  It does take up a little bit of space in the front of the bed.

Also found a great use for the cover this weekend, waxing the trailer :)  I can stand on the bed cover and almost reach the top of the trailer :)

• Like 1

I beleive the bakflip mx4 works for this. At least that's what a buddy just told me. He folds it up until front panel.

I've had a couple retrax. I love them the  first @ 5 years then I start to have issues but I'm keep in mind I'm on gravel roads.  And last time retrax wasn't so dang pricey. 

I've had Roll-n-Lock on 3 trucks (since 2000).  Never had a problem.  I like they are hard, they keep their 'pleather' top looking fine with regular washing and some 303 protectant spray.  They look good and seem secure.  No problems with bed rail side clearance with a Demco Hitchhiker slider.  I'll be putting another one my 2022 - if the truck ever get built (grrrr!).

I have the bakflip mx4 and it works great.  I fold it up to the last section and leave that one down.  I don't have the CHMBL camera but I can look over the back window and see the hitch just fine.  I've ordered a new F350 with the CHMBL camera.  I'm not sure which cover I'm going to get.  The bakflip is pretty heavy and I was thinking about getting a soft tonneau cover to reduce the weight on the payload capacity.

17 hours ago, Wofulcyrcle said:

I have the bakflip mx4 and it works great.  I fold it up to the last section and leave that one down.  I don't have the CHMBL camera but I can look over the back window and see the hitch just fine.  I've ordered a new F350 with the CHMBL camera.  I'm not sure which cover I'm going to get.  The bakflip is pretty heavy and I was thinking about getting a soft tonneau cover to reduce the weight on the payload capacity.

All the options impact payload.  If you're that tight on payload, upgrade to DRW and be done.

• Like 1

Toe Truck, you've asked a great question, as I'm wondering the same. Does anyone have any experience with Ford's rollup cover (pics below). I have this on my current F150, but not sure how or if it would work with an F350 6.75' box with a fifth wheel camper attached. Is there enough room for the fifth wheel camper to rotate / turn with the cover rolled up or is complete removal required? Thanks in advance!

6619d61b-d8f6-41c1-9daf-679c0de9facd.jpeg

13e96174-fa81-4d9f-be89-0f4336456596.jpeg

If you get into a sharp angle, you may start running into an issue.  Normally, I'd say it's no big deal, but on this trip, my first long stop, I was 90 degrees baking into the site, and came close to it on our 2nd stop.  I might prefer the this type over the retrax design, but I like that retrax can hold up to 500 lbs.  It works out well to stand on the bed to do things like working on the trailer :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, road turtle said:

All the options impact payload.  If you're that tight on payload, upgrade to DRW and be done.

Ah yes, the age old debate/argument rears it's ugly head.  I never said I was tight on payload capacity.  I simply said I wanted to reduce weight on the payload capacity.  Why have the extra weight if not needed?

Payload police won't get me

• Like 1

After looking at several options, I *think* I am going to opt for the Leer quad fold.  I can fold it upright, easy to remove if necessary, and some of the comments on different sites mention they tow 5th wheels with 3 panels folded flat.  I am still waiting on my truck, so still time to ponder.  Truck build date just got moved again last Thursday, from 3/14 to 3/28.  4th moved build date, am hoping it holds.  Waiting for my truck just makes for a longer list of wants and needs for when it actually gets here.  Argh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButlerDan said:

I ordered the hard folding tonneau cover with my F350.  I really hope there won't be any issues with leaving it on while pulling my 5th wheel camper.  Guess I will find out soon...

Saw '21 CCSB with a hard folding cover.  Folded up, it was about 2" away from his sliding hitch.  Based on that one example, you should be ok.

• Like 2

The BAK Revolver (roll-up type) series most definitely work.  I had this on my F350 dually and had no trouble towing my 5th wheel....not sure if a short bed would cause problems but I doubt it would.  The absolute best part of the roll-up type tonneau cover is the ability to see 'over' it (i.e., out the back window) when open.  I had the bak flip on a previous truck and it was either not open the whole way or stood up against the back window which was maddening.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lcseds said:

Was the Bakflip om a long bed? I thought you could fold to the last panel and latch to clear the hitch without it propped against the rear window.

If this question was for me, I had the Bakflip on a long bed F150...didn't tow a 5th wheel with that but I hated the BAK flip.  When I was towing a travel trailer, I had a bike rack that sat in the bed of that F150 which was great but I hated not being able to see out the back window so I would take the Bakflip off and on - never again.  The Revolver (rollup style) is perfect for me, and it'll be one of the first things I get when my '22 comes in.

That's why I asked about the Bakflip on an 8' bed with ta fifth wheel hitch. I have an expensive Retrax Pro now, and do not like that it is non removeable and it takes up bed space. Not much space taken, but if something slides into it, the canister can be damaged resulting in poor or no operation. I will not do that one again. If the Bakflip lays flat on the last section while clearing the fifth wheel hitch, I don't think it will have any worse a view than the roll up. I cannot think of a need for the Bakflip to be folded against the window. That would suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have experience or thoughts on the Peragon bed cover? It's all aluminum and looks to be good quality. I like the idea of the roll up covers as well. I've never had a bed cover before, I'm still learning about them. My truck will have an 8ft box and 5th wheel prep when it gets built. Thanks in advance for your input.