ForScan Equipment Requirements

Latebraking

2 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Will be getting forscan this week...just bought the cable.

I am really hoping I don't cost myself money with this...lol

I have the OBDII ELM327 auto switch, and cable and I downloaded the free FORScan software but haven't paid and downloaded the advanced version yet.  I have not tried to change anything yet and first change will be invoking Bambi mode.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:53 AM, 787Toolman said:

General questions on FORScan security parameter changes:

1. Has anyone read where Ford commented on users changing parameters and settings using FORScan?

2. It appears FORScan was developed in Russia, has Ford or any computer security experts issued any comments on safety of software installed on a personal machine with personal data potentially accessible?

3. Is FORScan the only software available for users to modify settings and parameters for our vehicles?

4. Are any federal or state laws in place WRT specific lights operating a certain way like turn signals, Fogs with high beams, or disabling certain warnings or notifications related to safety?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to change some of my truck's dings and annoying notifications as well as lights like fogs with high beams and I think having this access is very cool, just asking a few questions others may be thinking on safety and security.

I use Norton on all my PCs, if the software has the ability to create known security vulnerabilities, I'd like to think Norton will indicate the risks before install?

Thanks,

787Toolman

OPSEC i love it.. Have you used this yet? Looking to get my geek on wondering how useful it is and worth the time? I like the fog on while high beams are on anything else useful?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 6:29 AM, JT42 said:

OPSEC i love it.. Have you used this yet? Looking to get my geek on wondering how useful it is and worth the time? I like the fog on while high beams are on anything else useful?

what is OPSEC?  Have you guys noticed FORScan has suspended extended licensing due to sanctions enacted on Russia?  I think we may need to find a new software to access the extended module settings.  I was suspecting this might be an issue when Russian Army was surrounding Ukraine's Eastern flank, now that concern has become a reality but one of my concerns was if the software was possibly installing spyware on our computers without us knowing.  Might be why they don't offer a Mac version, they are much more difficult to hack.  Maybe I'm just paranoid but some paranoia is a good thing IMHO, too much is a problem.

What other software is available to access the extended module parameters to non-Ford dealership technicians?

image.thumb.png.fd1e3f8ac0a853467de47c31a9ea498b.png

I found this software after doing internet search, has anyone used this in lieu of FORScan?  Says you need TouchScan for Windows or OBDwiz, I already have OBDwiz but not TouchScan so according to them, I should be able to add the extension, pricier than FORScan but FORScan is Russian based.

Ford Enhanced Diagnostics for Windows | OBDSoftware.net

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

what is OPSEC?  Have you guys noticed FORScan has suspended extended licensing due to sanctions enacted on Russia?  I think we may need to find a new software to access the extended module settings.  I was suspecting this might be an issue when Russian Army was surrounding Ukraine's Eastern flank, now that concern has become a reality but one of my concerns was if the software was possibly installing spyware on our computers without us knowing.  Might be why they don't offer a Mac version, they are much more difficult to hack.  Maybe I'm just paranoid but some paranoia is a good thing IMHO, too much is a problem.

What other software is available to access the extended module parameters to non-Ford dealership technicians?

Operations Security in terms of asking the questions before just installing in this case. Yes I did notice they suspended the extended licensing services. I think this was more in regards or at least according to them the financial sanctions leveled on Russia i.e. they couldn't get there money from PayPal. 

37 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

Is forscan made in Russia?

I read it somewhere on their website that's it's Russian but didn't see it with a quick scan today.  There is also a link to switch language to Russian at top right of screen.  Plus, if it wasn't Russian why would they not be able to sell extended licenses?

image.png.c95b1de83d44e7f03df2924602f13e6d.png

• 1 month later...

I'm currently using the two-month free extended FORScan license, and I've been able to set Bambi mode, turn off double honk when engine is running, and I tried to set auto fold mirrors and it didn't work then I discovered it's settable from normal menus accessible to anyone.  I tried to setup up DPF% to display and I was unable to get that to work.  My As Bult value for DPF% display is 0742-48C1 in IPC module and the FORScan instruction I got off Ford Truck's Forum suggests setting the value from 0742-48C1 to 0F42-48C1, but the value was not accepted so I quit and stopped messing with it.  Anyone successfully added DPF% on a 2022 Diesel powered Super Duty?  If so, what did you do to get this to work?  I also may want to setup manual regen since I make a daily drive of 26 miles, not really enough to start and finish a regen cycle.

2 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I'm currently using the two-month free extended FORScan license, and I've been able to set Bambi mode, turn off double honk when engine is running, and I tried to set auto fold mirrors and it didn't work then I discovered it's settable from normal menus accessible to anyone.  I tried to setup up DPF% to display and I was unable to get that to work.  My As Bult value for DPF% display is 0742-48C1 in IPC module and the FORScan instruction I got off Ford Truck's Forum suggests setting the value from 0742-48C1 to 0F42-48C1, but the value was not accepted so I quit and stopped messing with it.  Anyone successfully added DPF% on a 2022 Diesel powered Super Duty?  If so, what did you do to get this to work?  I also may want to setup manual regen since I make a daily drive of 26 miles, not really enough to start and finish a regen cycle.

If you can do this you can rip songs onto a thumb drive from your CDs in the correct format!  Not sure if you can setup a manual regen though.  There are videos on youtube that sort of walk you through the setup of those things, also the Ford Tremor site has some Forscan threads that you can read through as well as other Ford truck sites. 

Edited by 1972Mach1

13 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

When you say "the value was not accepted" do you mean there was an incorrect checksum? 

Actually though, don't even mess with the As-Built programming for DPF% / OCR.  Just use the non "As Built" IPC programming procedure option and it's point-and-click.  Make sure you're on the latest version of Forscan, as the developers add more point-and-click options with newer versions.

11 hours ago, Forderorder said:

When you say "the value was not accepted" do you mean there was an incorrect checksum? 

Actually though, don't even mess with the As-Built programming for DPF% / OCR.  Just use the non "As Built" IPC programming procedure option and it's point-and-click.  Make sure you're on the latest version of Forscan, as the developers add more point-and-click options with newer versions.

no, the error was not a checksum error, I got that on all the other changes, I just read it and understood it's comparing to old value and I just let the new value go thru.  The FORScan spreadsheet said that some truck's may experience an issue with cameras so to avoid that, increase the second hex value by 8, so it said if there is a 7 in that digit, change it to F, but that value was not accepted when I tried to write to the module.  I'll try the non As Built method to see if I can change the default to show the percentage.

thanks...

On 5/12/2022 at 10:17 AM, Forderorder said:

I tried the non-As Built option for setting DPF% and it allowed me to set it okay but nothing changed on my display so either it no longer works or I don't know where to find the display of the DPF%.  Anyone else successfully set the DPF% to display on upper trim level Super Duties with diesel engine?  I'm running the latest version of FORScan, downloaded it before I tried to non-As Built change.

Edited by 787Toolman

22 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I tried the non-As Built option for setting DPF% and it allowed me to set it okay but nothing changed on my display so either it no longer works or I don't know where to find the display of the DPF%.  Anyone else successfully set the DPF% to display on upper trim level Super Duties with diesel engine?  I'm running the latest version of FORScan, downloaded it before I tried to non-As Built change.

On mine it's under "Maintenance Monitor" along with the oil life.  But on your King Ranch with the bigger productivity screen, it could be somewhere else.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.21.38 AM.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

On mine it's under "Maintenance Monitor" along with the oil life.  But on your King Ranch with the bigger productivity screen, it could be somewhere else.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.21.38 AM.png

well dang, I never doubted you but now I see your productivity screen (PS) is not the same as mine.  I'm wondering if maybe it's just not available on the higher trim PS, maybe they figure if you can afford King Ranch (KR), you take it to the dealer to fix everything and hardly anyone would want to know the state of the DPF?  I read somewhere Ford is going to eliminate one of the diesel exhaust sensors on 2023 Super Duties and going forward because of serious supply chain shortages, I don't recall which one, but the article said it wouldn't affect performance or emissions output.  I'm pretty sure I checked every single available menu choice on my PS but either it's not there or I missed it.  Thanks for showing yours...

Okay, well I looked under maintenance monitor and there it was listed as Exhaust Filter%, I guess I missed it as I was looking for DPF%.  Now the question is how I could have set to enable it, then set it back to disable it but it still shows up.  Maybe it was there all along and all the changes never really applied it?  I guess I need to go back and check the actual status in the IPC module.  Either way, I see it now.  Funny thing is while I was idling and looking thru the owner's manual and other booklets on setting up a trailer for the backup feature, the engine started revving up a bit to 1000rpm, so I'm thinking it was actually trying to burn off soot at the time I found this, just a coincidence, I guess.  Can't see my mileage due to glare but it's 762miles but DPF is only 10%, I noticed yours is 15% with only 241 miles, mine must have run thru a clean cycle before or your engine is creating more soot.  I only drive 26 miles one way 5 days per week and whatever errands I have to run.

1413315839_image0(002).thumb.jpeg.881f2c431df1ec24a24a6f7cbf77cf5d.jpeg

2 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

Okay, well I looked under maintenance monitor and there it was listed as Exhaust Filter%, I guess I missed it as I was looking for DPF%.  Now the question is how I could have set to enable it, then set it back to disable it but it still shows up.  Maybe it was there all along and all the changes never really applied it?  I guess I need to go back and check the actual status in the IPC module.  Either way, I see it now.  Funny thing is while I was idling and looking thru the owner's manual and other booklets on setting up a trailer for the backup feature, the engine started revving up a bit to 1000rpm, so I'm thinking it was actually trying to burn off soot at the time I found this, just a coincidence, I guess.  Can't see my mileage due to glare but it's 762miles but DPF is only 10%, I noticed yours is 15% with only 241 miles, mine must have run thru a clean cycle before or your engine is creating more soot.  I only drive 26 miles one way 5 days per week and whatever errands I have to run.

1413315839_image0(002).thumb.jpeg.881f2c431df1ec24a24a6f7cbf77cf5d.jpeg

I do love that bigger productivity screen. 

Yeah my DPF % does seem high. Right now I’m at 40% and 400 miles. I do short trips but I try to at least get the engine up to temp each time. I never idle excessively. I’ve done a few 40 minute highway trips and was expecting a passive regen to bring my % down but the number has only gone up. I can’t tell what a passive regen feels like but I don’t think I’ve had one yet. Based on my driving habits I’ll probably have to do some active regens which I think is unfortunate and a waste of fuel.