AWD Mustang?

3 hours ago, jniffen said:

My '79 and '84 Hatchbacks were more tolerable of having people in the backseat.

Wouldn't take them across country but in town or driving to the next town was doable.

Especially for the headroom.

Yeah, I had an '83 Mustang Converible 5.0 and had passengers in the back seat many times. Of course, back then we were young and lean and fit in everything better. And in the summer the top was down all the time with great headroom and burbles from that 5.0.

23 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, I had an '83 Mustang Converible 5.0 and had passengers in the back seat many times. Of course, back then we were young and lean and fit in everything better. And in the summer the top was down all the time with great headroom and burbles from that 5.0.

image.thumb.png.c4d610cf788866598031dc9371fc4c20.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jniffen said:

My '79 and '84 Hatchbacks were more tolerable of having people in the backseat.

Wouldn't take them across country but in town or driving to the next town was doable.

Especially for the headroom.

LOL.  I bought a 2013 GT Convertible last year and wanted Grabber Blue.  The only one I could find was in Denver and I live in NJ.  It was going to be about $1000 to ship it.  So me and my two sons flew out on a Saturday to Denver and drove it 28 hours back to NJ.  I spent about 6 hours overnight in the back while my son drove trying to get some sleep ( I am 6'2" 270 lbs).  Let me tell you that is no luxury hotel back there, although I did manage to get some sleep on and off.  I have had a 1972 Mach I, 1988 GT, 2007 V6 and the 2013.  Both the '72 and the '88 while not being anything to brag about were bigger in the back than the '07 and '13.  The '88 was the most roomy, the '72 was like being in a bunker.  You couldn't see anything from back there.  Needless to say none of them have gotten a lot of back seat time.

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

image.thumb.png.c4d610cf788866598031dc9371fc4c20.png

Great looking 5.0 Fox body. Love it. Mine was triple black with red pin striping and the slot wheels with the Michelin tires. Only mods were bigger Holly 4 barrel replacing the Motorcraft for better throttle response. And headers so it could breathe better. Sold it in 2000 for $3,500. Never tired of that unique 5.0 burble. I know you probably enjoy yours. I'm jealous. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Same color as my '86 GT hatchback.  1986 was the first year they had fuel injection.  Had a whopping 200 horsepower.  Still my favorite car of all time.

My girlfriend during Fox Body time had a 1991 Notchback with 225 hp 5.0, and that thing was super quick. Very light and power to weight ratio must have been very good. It was significantly quicker than my '83 Convertible. Mine felt like an anchor compared to hers. 

2 hours ago, ZanatWork said:

I don't think it's a 5.0.  It's missing the fender badges, the air dam, the tires look pretty skinny...so, I think it's a GL or an LX with a donor hood.  Still a handsome car, though.

Yeah, the 5.0 badge does seem to be missing. My '83 Convertible 5.0 was not a GT, but a GLX and still had most of the goodies like special Michelin tires with slot wheels, 5 sp. manual, and traction bars to reduce wheel hop. No air dam though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, the 5.0 badge does seem to be missing. My '83 Convertible 5.0 was not a GT, but a GLX and still had most of the goodies like special Michelin tires with slot wheels, 5 sp. manual, and traction bars to reduce wheel hop. No air dam though.

I stand corrected!  I had no idea the GLX was available with the V8.  

On 3/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, Twin Turbo said:

Interesting first post. I assume you mean "real deal". Can you share more? ?

Oh yes thanks for the correction lol,  I've read the article saying "The new mustang lithium ev comes with 900HP! and a six speed transmission, I really wanna know how ev car with manual transmission feels like, but I would choose a V8 5.0 can't beat the American muscle V8 Sounds! and I hope they really going to manufacture this beast, so far no news about it

ford-mustang-lithium-live-image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If accurate, no AWD for next gen Mustang:

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/s650-mustang-will-not-offer-any-type-of-awd-system-exclusive/

Could this be deflection on the part of Ford.  A rep recently said no AWD along with promising a V8 was still going to be an option and admitted a manual is likely to be eventually nixed (but not totally if demand was high enough).

If it is true that the next gen is based on the CD6 platform (nee Explorer), it could be that many speculated or assumed AWD would be a part of it because the platform is capable of it.  But remember you can get an Explorer Hybrid in RWD only so AWD is not a given if it is a hybrid.   If the next gen is based on the CD6 platform, I wonder how long before someone (maybe even Ford) transplants the V8 from the Mustang into an Explorer.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:51 AM, sigp228 said:

If it is true that the next gen is based on the CD6 platform (nee Explorer), it could be that many speculated or assumed AWD would be a part of it because the platform is capable of it.  But remember you can get an Explorer Hybrid in RWD only so AWD is not a given if it is a hybrid.   If the next gen is based on the CD6 platform, I wonder how long before someone (maybe even Ford) transplants the V8 from the Mustang into an Explorer.

It not-its continuation of the S197/S550 platform

• Like 1

The CD6 Mustang was scrapped. S650 is evaluation of S550 so makes sense Ford won't invest a lot of money to get AWD.

The AWD rumor started a few years ago when Ford patented the AWD hybrid setup with V8. But that was when S650 was a CD6  program. 

Edited by bzcat

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Well the rumor was electric motors on the front wheels, not a transfer case.  But I guess that’s dead too.

I probably should have been more clear. Some version of it, whether it's electric motors for more of a RWD biased AWD setup or using a version of the power boost powertrain but with the 7.1L Godzilla engine, or even that rumored smaller variant. 

8 hours ago, bzcat said:

The CD6 Mustang was scrapped. S650 is evaluation of S550 so makes sense Ford won't invest a lot of money to get AWD.

The AWD rumor started a few years ago when Ford patented the AWD hybrid setup with V8. But that was when S650 was a CD6  program. 

Ahh thanks.