Extended warranty and service contract

Lind Mike

15 hours ago, Lind Mike said:

Is it a good idea to buy the extended warranty and service contract on a new F-250 Diesel?

generally no, but this is coming from someone that did get the extended warranty and service contract.  I took the Flood Ford price in with me to the dealership, and my dealer came close to matching the price.  Close enough that I bit :)

When I looked at the cost of paying for oil changes, the maintenance contract comes out to be net 0.  I've always changed my own oil, but with us traveling 6 months, I'm not dragging my oil changing stuff around with me.

• Like 1

Ive never had anything niceenough to warrant an extended warranty. Not all that caught up about them because of that. Thought about it for this new one but now I'm going to lift 4" and run 37s so I reckon I'm going to negate my warranty up front. So guess there's no reason to extended it. ?

4 hours ago, Gharri30 said:

Ive never had anything niceenough to warrant an extended warranty. Not all that caught up about them because of that. Thought about it for this new one but now I'm going to lift 4" and run 37s so I reckon I'm going to negate my warranty up front. So guess there's no reason to extended it. ?

That doesn’t negate your warranty.

• Like 1

I suppose it comes down to how much you are willing to work on your truck to fix problems and how much downtime is ok while you fix any potential issue. Most of the common stuff isn't too bad, but I think the warranty is more about peace of mind for the big issues that can occur beyond they typical 3yr/36k warranty.

I don't intend to purchase a warranty for my 7.3 DRW based on their great reputation so far. I don't know enough about diesels except they look more complex under the hood and can be expensive to maintain according to my brother who's a diesel mechanic, so had I got a diesel I would have opted for a warranty.

The business model for extended warranties is to only pay out 20% of the revenue. 80% is overhead, marketing, and profit.  If you can keep enough cash on hand to fix any problem, in the long run you will come out better not buying it. If you can’t afford to pay for the repairs, you bought to much truck. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gharri30 said:

I figured it wouldn't cover that but just assumed it may cause some sort of work around on everything else. Good info. Thanks. 

"Your larger tires caused more load on the engine and drive train and thats why the piston decided it wanted to come out and get some fresh air". Im always worried even with the Magnuson-Moss Act, the stealerships will find a way to blame the customers modifications. 

23 minutes ago, CaptainKopper said:

"Your larger tires caused more load on the engine and drive train and thats why the piston decided it wanted to come out and get some fresh air". Im always worried even with the Magnuson-Moss Act, the stealerships will find a way to blame the customers modifications. 

This right here is how I picture it going in my mind and why my thinking was that way. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I opted for both this go round even after coming out a loser on my 100K warranty I had on my F150. I sent my dealer Flood Ford's pricing and it was matched. This is my first diesel and seeing some pretty costly diesel repairs discussed got me willing to take the gamble on it. It's hard to see prices on all this going down over the next 8 years. In my humble opinion, locking both in at today's prices is not a bad hedge against future inflation. I know at a minimum I'll be close to breaking even on the service contract though whether the warranty pays off is anybody's guess.

It isn't just engine type failures that can run into the big bucks. I had an extended warranty on my 2008 F350 and had both side mirrors replaced under it, about 3K when all was said and done.  There are a lot of little things on these trucks that can fail and when they do it can get into real money pretty quick.

bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob R said:

It isn't just engine type failures that can run into the big bucks. I had an extended warranty on my 2008 F350 and had both side mirrors replaced under it, about 3K when all was said and done.  There are a lot of little things on these trucks that can fail and when they do it can get into real money pretty quick.

bob

I did the extended warranty on my '22 F350. With all the disruption to supply chains, having to scramble for alternate 3rd party parts vendors, and constant juggling of assembly line shutdowns, ever changing schedules, layoffs due to jab requirements, etc., the previously refined and efficient process of putting a vehicle together now looks pretty chaotic, and open to problems in QC and assembly mistakes. Given that logic, the extended warranty made more sense this time around than it ever has before. A day and a half after taking delivery of my truck, the nacelle of the steering column started scraping against the steering wheel. The next day, the dealer looked at it, scratched their heads while wondering how that could happen. To their credit, they took it all apart, and reassembled it as it should have been done at the factory. New parts are on the way, but their ETA is unknown, because - supply chain issues.

Saw the below in another forum- just an FYI for an option to the Flood ESP pricing:

While production issues continue on into 2022, we wanted to find another way we as a dealership can add value to the forum. We've made the decision to run a special on Ford Protect Extended Service plans for all forum members (this applies whether you purchased from us or not!).

Starting today we are going to offer Ford Protect Extended Service Plans for $50 over our dealer cost on any Super Duty Truck, whether you purchased it from us or another dealership. This represents a savings on average of $1000-$2000 from other dealerships in-person pricing and a discount from other online Ford Protect retailers as well. We will run this special through the end of April and reasses the volume. After the first initial roll out of this program, we will move our discount to $100 over dealer cost.

How do you get this started?

Please send an email to fordesp@grangermotors.com with the following information:

Name
Address
Phone number
VIN
Mileage on Super Duty now
Coverage desired (years and mileage)

The entire process will be handled seamlessly online by electronic signature and a secure electronic deposit. Your contract will be in force within 2-3 business days of completion of the deposit and electronic signature. Ford's ESP system is nationwide and will update electronically within their system showing your contract status, so you won't need a paper copy of the contract to bring with you, it is tied to your VIN number.

Ford pass points can be used towards the purchase of these contracts as well!

Have another Ford or Lincoln vehicle you'd like to add coverage to? Our pricing will be $100 over dealer cost. This should meet or exceed any other pricing you find online. The process is initiated the same way by emailing fordesp@grangermotors.com with the information above.

This offer is good for anywhere in the U.S. and Canada with the exception of the state of Florida.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bob R said:

No joke. I just paid $1800 for a passenger side Lariat mirror re[placement. Well insurance covered all but $500. A bird strike smashed the bottom plastic part. Yep, that part not available, whole mirror had to be changed. That would have been 3/4 of an extended warranty cost had it been a motor failure and not anything insurance would cover. These part replacements are way more expensive than one would think,

On 3/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, Toe Truck said:

Saw the below in another forum- just an FYI for an option to the Flood ESP pricing:

While production issues continue on into 2022, we wanted to find another way we as a dealership can add value to the forum. We've made the decision to run a special on Ford Protect Extended Service plans for all forum members (this applies whether you purchased from us or not!).

Starting today we are going to offer Ford Protect Extended Service Plans for $50 over our dealer cost on any Super Duty Truck, whether you purchased it from us or another dealership. This represents a savings on average of $1000-$2000 from other dealerships in-person pricing and a discount from other online Ford Protect retailers as well. We will run this special through the end of April and reasses the volume. After the first initial roll out of this program, we will move our discount to $100 over dealer cost.

Please send an email to fordesp@grangermotors.com with the following information:

Name
Address
Phone number
VIN

The entire process will be handled seamlessly online by electronic signature and a secure electronic deposit. Your contract will be in force within 2-3 business days of completion of the deposit and electronic signature. Ford's ESP system is nationwide and will update electronically within their system showing your contract status, so you won't need a paper copy of the contract to bring with you, it is tied to your VIN number.

Have another Ford or Lincoln vehicle you'd like to add coverage to? Our pricing will be $100 over dealer cost. This should meet or exceed any other pricing you find online. The process is initiated the same way by emailing fordesp@grangermotors.com with the information above.

This offer is good for anywhere in the U.S. and Canada with the exception of the state of Florida.

Has anyone compared these prices with those of Flood ESP?

On 3/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, Toe Truck said:

Name
Address
Phone number
VIN

That is great news!

Thanks for passing this on

I will be contacting them as I did get my 250 from them.

I've never bought an extended warranty for anything...ever.

There will always be stories of someone being "saved" by an extended warranty because it covered an expensive part.  For each of these stories, there are stories of folks who never had to use them and paid for them unnecessarily.  There are also stories of someone who wished that they had purchased one after they had to replace a transmission or replaced the screen on their phone.

As with almost everything in life....YMMV!