Ford February 2022 Sales Results

14 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

One of the worst months possible. We all know why. I was in a meeting and heads are rolling over F-Series and Explorer. Truly horrible. They are flipping over the chips they aren’t getting for F-Series and Explorer. 

I was shocked when I seen the lower numbers from the explorer which on average  sells 20000 a month. This chip shortage needs to end by 2023

18 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I was shocked when I seen the lower numbers from the explorer which on average  sells 20000 a month. This chip shortage needs to end by 2023

I would think it's a combination of high fuel prices and supply issues. That is seen in the high orders for Lightning and Maverick hybrid. I would bet that the 2023 Ranger Hybrid will be sold out in a week also. Explorer needs a better hybrid immediately.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

One of the worst months possible. We all know why. I was in a meeting and heads are rolling over F-Series and Explorer. Truly horrible. They are flipping over the chips they aren’t getting for F-Series and Explorer. 

This is the pain, the kick in the ass that Ford needs to realise that it’s been dreaming along not properly controlling threats to its business. It’s been a years now that chip disruptions have been hitting company profits and they are still not getting supplies of chips it needs. I think the timing of Ford Blue and Model e business reform are a smoke screen to cover deeper systemic problems within Ford, if Farley says they’re doing different things, everyone will go along with that while they fix things behind the scenes.

Forgive my nasty cynical attitude towards Ford but we’ve seen this playbook before when things turn bad, Ford turns over a new leaf and changes will cure all the problems within Ford. Sorry but no, unless Farley is prepared to tackle issues head on, Ford is just subsuming problems that the split business units will face over and over again.

I’ve said my peace and will stop going on and on about it, time for others to have their say….

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

This is the pain, the kick in the ass that Ford needs to realise that it’s been dreaming along not properly controlling threats to its business. It’s been a years now that chip disruptions have been hitting company profits and they are still not getting supplies of chips it needs. I think the timing of Ford Blue and Model e business reform are a smoke screen to cover deeper systemic problems within Ford, if Farley says they’re doing different things, everyone will go along with that while they fix things behind the scenes.

Forgive my nasty cynical attitude towards Ford but we’ve seen this playbook before when things turn bad, Ford turns over a new leaf and changes will cure all the problems within Ford. Sorry but no, unless Farley is prepared to tackle issues head on, Ford is just subsuming problems that the split business units will face over and over again.

Chips aren't a Ford-exclusive problem though.  Not excusing it, just saying that it's not as if Ford is the only one with chip issues right now.

I agree about the cyclical changes and reverting back to status quo.  Mulally had things under control in that regard and they went back to the old ways under Fields.

• Like 1

Whenever we see significant drops in F Series, Explorer, Expedition, those losses are the ones that really sting Ford’s bottom line. Finally Ford finally gets some great vehicles in its showroom and then can’t build anything like enough of them……
I know that this is affecting most automakers but buyers must be asking when is all of this going to end…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I would think it's a combination of high fuel prices and supply issues. That is seen in the high orders for Lightning and Maverick hybrid. I would bet that the 2023 Ranger Hybrid will be sold out in a week also. Explorer needs a better hybrid immediately.

I totally agree. It will be interesting to see if based on gas prices buyers start flocking more to escape bronco sport vs explorer. The supply issues are a huge factor and they’re not about to end for now. This stupid war in Ukraine will further put pressure on supply chains. Maybe they will improve explorer hybrid as EV explorer is on the horizon for 2025

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Whenever we see significant drops in F Series, Explorer, Expedition, those losses are the ones that really sting Ford’s bottom line. Finally Ford finally gets some great vehicles in its showroom and then can’t build anything like enough of them……
I know that this is affecting most automakers but buyers must be asking when is all of this going to end…

You’re right they just can’t build enough of them. I’m shocked that up here at OAC we’ve only been down 2 weeks since November 29. I believe major downtime coming for OAC as chips NEED to be sourced more for higher volume sellers. FLATROCK down three weeks at the moment our time will be coming soon. 

3 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Wasn't ford entertaining the idea of producing their own chips a few months ago? Yeah, it's looking like that decision is a no brainer, even if it requires considerable levels of investment. It's only going to get harder to get chips once China seizes Taiwan, which, let's face it, it's pretty much guaranteed at this point in time with China even saying it's a matter of when, not if, they invade Taiwan. 

3 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

It will only end of Ford produces their own chips pretty much. If they're smart, they'll invest heavily in chip manufacturing facilities, and sell whatever chips they don't use to other brands. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

It will only end of Ford produces their own chips pretty much. If they're smart, they'll invest heavily in chip manufacturing facilities, and sell whatever chips they don't use to other brands. 

Well they invested in Global Foundries so that’s a start. 

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Good to hear.

It is I still believe there is too much reliance on China and non North American companies. Ford will still do tons of business with China which Ford and all these corporations love! All this global instability is proof more jobs need to be brought back to N/A. I’m in Canada so we need to get our small share too. Obviously the mighty America is number one! 

• Like 3

*edit* After reading the table again I now see it does not specify if sales were MY21 or MY22 Expeditions. And it makes sense that there was MY 21s left over to sell. *edit*

Unsure how Ford reports sales figures? As there is no way 3000 MY22 Expeditions were shipped in Feb. They are all still sitting at the plant waiting to ship which only started with a few this week I believe. 

Maybe once they reach end of line they are considered “Sold”?

Edited by ddakoske

4 hours ago, ddakoske said:

*edit* After reading the table again I now see it does not specify if sales were MY21 or MY22 Expeditions. And it makes sense that there was MY 21s left over to sell. *edit*

Unsure how Ford reports sales figures? As there is no way 3000 MY22 Expeditions were shipped in Feb. They are all still sitting at the plant waiting to ship which only started with a few this week I believe. 

I'm sure it's a mix of '21s and '22s.  Though anecdotally I haven't seen a single '22 Expy or Navigator yet - on the road or at the dealer.

I'm not sure when it's considered sold.

41 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'm sure it's a mix of '21s and '22s.  Though anecdotally I haven't seen a single '22 Expy or Navigator yet - on the road or at the dealer.

I'm not sure when it's considered sold.

I know that Mullinax has about 10 2021 Expeditions left and no 2022s on lot, only customer orders. And Mullinax is a big Expedition seller. This chip shortage is getting worse again. Inventories are starting to plunge again as 2021s sell out. Especially bad as we move into spring selling season. 

15 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

It is I still believe there is too much reliance on China and non North American companies. Ford will still do tons of business with China which Ford and all these corporations love! All this global instability is proof more jobs need to be brought back to N/A. I’m in Canada so we need to get our small share too. Obviously the mighty America is number one! 

Until greed goes away this will never happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ddakoske said:

No, there are two different things, Ford books the production when completed vehicles exit the plant, the sale is completed by dealers. I suspect the 3,000 ‘21s you mentioned are waiting for chips to complete, that’s happening a lot now…

15 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Until greed goes away this will never happen.

The only way that happens is  for companies to keep feeling the sting of losses from their mistakes,

not controlling the supply of what is now critical parts. So complacent with ‘threats’ to operations.

48 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

With gas prices so high I'm sure glad Ford makes V6 TT and 4 cylinder trucks and SUV's. Imagine how much worse it could have been if they continued to make cars.

Well Honda and Toyota both make cars and their sales were down over 20% too.

1 hour ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Well Honda and Toyota both make cars and their sales were down over 20% too.

Both BMW and MB are shutting down their plants in Europe. And VW has suspended production of its ID4. Gas hit $4/gallon here in FL and is $7/gallon in CA and Canada. God knows what it is in Europe.