To level or not to level

HI all,

I have an F350 in transit to the dealer who sent me a list of accessory options.  One of the options is a readylift level kit for $595.  A diesel mechanic I take my current truck to said I should consider a level kit and new shocks because the factory shocks are junk it would prevent the death wobble.  I really don't know anything about leveling kits.

Is a leveling kit important to have and what exactly does it do to improve the driving characteristics of the truck?  I tow a 15,000 pound fifth wheel intermittently in the summer - will it affect the towing?  Is readylift a good leveling kit?  What other kits are out there and what do you all recommend?  Is there any other information I should know?

Thanks for the help

8 hours ago, Wofulcyrcle said:

HI all,

I have an F350 in transit to the dealer who sent me a list of accessory options.  One of the options is a readylift level kit for $595.  A diesel mechanic I take my current truck to said I should consider a level kit and new shocks because the factory shocks are junk it would prevent the death wobble.  I really don't know anything about leveling kits.

Is a leveling kit important to have and what exactly does it do to improve the driving characteristics of the truck?  I tow a 15,000 pound fifth wheel intermittently in the summer - will it affect the towing?  Is readylift a good leveling kit?  What other kits are out there and what do you all recommend?  Is there any other information I should know?

Thanks for the help

My dealer accessory guy said that the ready lift 1.5 kit that installs on the bottom of the shock/spring is what causes death wobble. He recommended this kind of kit but it doesn’t give you any rake and sits level which I don’t like If I’m towing, I’ll probably go with this eventually though. 
https://www.americantrucks.com/readylift-superduty-25in-coil-spring-front-lift-kit-shock-extensions-track-bar-bracket-46-2728.html?utm_content=AT Lift Kits - Lift Kits|ReadyLIFT&T5_Var4=SD3027

8 hours ago, Wofulcyrcle said:

HI all,

Thanks for the help

Is it possible you miss understood your mechanic? If this was truly his statement then I would probably start looking for a new mechanic.

Any lift in the front without adjusting for caster will increase the death wobble. It is a caster issue, not a shock issue. Shocks, steering dampners, etc may help mask the problem, but will not solve the problem. Also, a 2.5" level kit on a 2022 will make it sit slightly higher in the front. The leveling kit was designed for a 17-22 SD that had more rake front to rear.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:36 AM, Robin Hood said:

Is it possible you miss understood your mechanic? If this was truly his statement then I would probably start looking for a new mechanic.

Any lift in the front without adjusting for caster will increase the death wobble. It is a caster issue, not a shock issue. Shocks, steering dampners, etc may help mask the problem, but will not solve the problem. Also, a 2.5" level kit on a 2022 will make it sit slightly higher in the front. The leveling kit was designed for a 17-22 SD that had more rake front to rear.

It's completely possible.  I was in there getting my fuel filters changed and talking to him about the new truck on order.  I'll also admit I have never looked into leveling or adjusting the rake or suspension on either my current or new truck before so I'm not sure...  I'm always a little sceptic about recommendations from a mechanic I didn't ask for that are expensive so I though I'd ask the group.

I did order the 2.5 ready lift leveling kit for my f350 when it gets built. I also already ordered the 2 degree caster shims to replace at the same time to address the death wabble. They also say to swap out the steering dampener to aftermarket. But I'm going to wait a couple years first. I don't want to throw away new parts that work for now for no reason. Unless I find someone that wants to buy the used (like new) parts for decent price. Less then new but not a throwaway price tag. 

Stock shocks don't perform like aftermarket. But I don't think someone needs to throw them away immediately unless your not happy with your ride quality. Wait for the stock shocks to wear out first. Save some money. 

Edited by danielj
Autocorrect correction.

I have a 2022 superduty with a Diesel.  And I put a 2 1/2" level kit in it. and i like it. The only thing I dont like, is Bidens fuel prices  !!   OH YES, they had to realign the front end.

Screenshot_20220305-141303_Photos.jpg

Edited by khansen

1 hour ago, khansen said:

I have a 2022 superduty with a Diesel.  And I put a 2 1/2" level kit in it. and i like it. The only thing I dont like, is Bidens fuel prices  !!   OH YES, they had to realign the front end.

Screenshot_20220305-141303_Photos.jpg

You also put a really heavy bumper on the front.

First of all, why would you not want the factory rake?  That's how the truck should look.  I think it is very odd when I see an unloaded levelled truck.  Makes zero sense to me.  That's not a working truck.  If you don't need a working truck, go buy a sedan.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottK1 said:

First of all, why would you not want the factory rake?  That's how the truck should look.  I think it is very odd when I see an unloaded levelled truck.  Makes zero sense to me.  That's not a working truck.  If you don't need a working truck, go buy a sedan.  

A leveled truck does not affect the towing capabilities of the truck. Minus the GVWR that is affected by the added weight only. No different then you adding passengers into your truck affecting the GVWR. 

Some people like the look and some don't. There is no way a truck "should" look. There is factory look and aftermarket. Aftermarket is made to the owners personal preference. And factory is for a plain boring looking truck for people want it for nothing more then an A to B vehicle without any style or personally put into their vehicle. 

Edited by danielj

4 hours ago, ScottK1 said:

I have a 18 f250 lariat that is leveled. The only thing I do is haul trailers and put on a truck camper as well as snow plow.  And BTW I’ve been known to carry a grocery bags or two when I cruise it around town like I’m in a sedan.  I installed air bags on the rear to keep level.  But I don’t judge???

11 hours ago, ScottK1 said:

Very true, when I’m using my truck for what it was designed for it’s perfectly level. With a leveling kit it would look like it’s sagging in the ass and I need more truck. I pull a 18,000 fifth wheel.  

9 hours ago, danielj said:

And factory is for a plain boring looking truck for people want it for nothing more then an A to B vehicle without any style or personally put into their vehicle. 

I beg to differ.  Some of us prefer the factory rake and think it has plenty of style and is far from boring.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I beg to differ.  Some of us prefer the factory rake and think it has plenty of style and is far from boring.

Don't take what I said as factory being negative at all. If you prefer the factory rake then that's great. It's your truck and it's your style. I personally don't like the rake and think the leveling kit looks way better. And I like the kit so much cause it is 100% reversible. So if I ever sell it in the future then they can put it back to stock if they prefer it that way. Your truck is built your way and customized your way and mine is built my way and customized my way. They are both great trucks. 

On 3/5/2022 at 8:06 PM, Robin Hood said:

Doesn't look factory to me.

Bumper...a device for absorbing shock or preventing damage (as in collision) specifically : a bar at either end of an automobile.

It's a factory bumper, with a Westin HDX grille gaurd mounted on it

Screenshot_20220305-143946_Photos.jpg

On 3/6/2022 at 8:47 AM, danielj said:

Don't take what I said as factory being negative at all. If you prefer the factory rake then that's great. It's your truck and it's your style. I personally don't like the rake and think the leveling kit looks way better. And I like the kit so much cause it is 100% reversible. So if I ever sell it in the future then they can put it back to stock if they prefer it that way. Your truck is built your way and customized your way and mine is built my way and customized my way. They are both great trucks. 

I think I’m way past the “to level or not to level”arguments here.  That being said I agree with danielj, make the truck your own, or not, and be happy with it. The leveled black beauty with the Westin grill guard (and obviously oe bumper) looks fantastic in my book but if it’s not for you, that’s fine too.  My truck is almost to the point I had planned for it when I placed the order and in my mind does everything I want it to do. Is it everyone’s flavor?  No, but it’s also what makes it unique to me. I also can’t leave my Harley Davidson alone. That’s  a whole other story but the same idea. The Bronco in the background is one I just hauled up to Missoula for a friend. 1,200 miles and a seized engine. Leveled or not, it’s not going anywhere for awhile. Peace out everyone and continue enjoying these great trucks. 

F8E13B00-B538-4635-85BE-384280D4299B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 7:25 PM, ScottK1 said:

Not necessarily true. Mine works but it has rear air bags to prevent sag. So it's always level, loaded or not.