Dealer adding non-optional options

Neil99

Hello. I ordered an F-450 Lariat with X-Plan pricing in August of 2021. The truck is now manufactured and on the way to my dealer. I called the dealer to confirm that nothing had changed on my pricing. It was at this point that I was informed that they weren't going to make enough money on my truck. They said that my truck is a very hot item, and that they could sell it to someone else for a lot more profit. If I actually wanted to buy the truck, I would need to agree to purchase a bunch of dealer added options. Back in August, I got a signed purchase agreement with my Xplan pricing (which they are also saying they aren't sure they can hold) and my build sheet attached. And I put down $500 in deposit on the order. Honestly, if they had gone about this differently and not threatened to sell my truck to another person, I'd probably be willing to wiggle some on my pricing. I've opened a ticket with Ford about this. Will Ford make the dealer stand by their contract? My sister, who is an attorney, has told me to file a complaint with the Department of Public Safety (which issues car titles) as well as Ford. I'm not sure how far to push this, and how quickly.

Remind them that if they try to sell the vehicle out from under you, then they are abusing the allocation system and are subject to retribution from Ford. This is assuming that this is an actual order with your name attached to it. The rules indicate somewhere that the customer has to agree to options. If they'd tried this shit when you ordered your vehicle, then fine, you could have walked away. At this point, though, you have a valid agreement, and they're certainly acting like they want to commit allocation fraud against Ford.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neil99 said:

Hello. I ordered an F-450 Lariat with X-Plan pricing in August of 2021. The truck is now manufactured and on the way to my dealer. I called the dealer to confirm that nothing had changed on my pricing. It was at this point that I was informed that they weren't going to make enough money on my truck. They said that my truck is a very hot item, and that they could sell it to someone else for a lot more profit. If I actually wanted to buy the truck, I would need to agree to purchase a bunch of dealer added options. Back in August, I got a signed purchase agreement with my Xplan pricing (which they are also saying they aren't sure they can hold) and my build sheet attached. And I put down $500 in deposit on the order. Honestly, if they had gone about this differently and not threatened to sell my truck to another person, I'd probably be willing to wiggle some on my pricing. I've opened a ticket with Ford about this. Will Ford make the dealer stand by their contract? My sister, who is an attorney, has told me to file a complaint with the Department of Public Safety (which issues car titles) as well as Ford. I'm not sure how far to push this, and how quickly.

Hi Neil. If you have a signed purchase contract with all pricing (including X-Plan) clearly listed, , then what they are doing is unethical and you should push and fight it. Even according to X-Plan rules, a Dealer can not require a Plan buyer to purchase Dealer add-ons. And you should not even be "...willing to wiggle some on my pricing".

In addition, according to Ford, a Dealer can get themselves in trouble by Factory/retail ordering a vehicle (thus getting priority manufacturing), then refusing to sell it to the original buyer in order to sell it to another customer for a higher price.

You should definitely contact Ford Customer Relations and report them. You can contact the DPS, but not too sure how far that will get you, for various reasons.

How far this will all get you is not predictable. Hopefully the threat (and follow through) of you calling Ford will get them to back off their bluff.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Neil. If you have a signed purchase contract with all pricing (including X-Plan) clearly listed, , then what they are doing is unethical and you should push and fight it. Even according to X-Plan rules, a Dealer can not require a Plan buyer to purchase Dealer add-ons. And you should not even be "...willing to wiggle some on my pricing".

In addition, according to Ford, a Dealer can get themselves in trouble by Factory/retail ordering a vehicle (thus getting priority manufacturing), then refusing to sell it to the original buyer in order to sell it to another customer for a higher price.

You should definitely contact Ford Customer Relations and report them. You can contact the DPS, but not too sure how far that will get you, for various reasons.

How far this will all get you is not predictable. Hopefully the threat (and follow through) of you calling Ford will get them to back off their bluff.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Thanks BBF, this is great information to know.  I actually have little panic attacks that my dealer is going to try the same thing when my vehicle arrives (totally unfounded, hopefully.)  My Corsair just shipped and will (hopefully) be here by 3/9 for "Final Prep" (whatever that means, it used to say "Delivered" at that location on the tracker.)

Thanks for the responses. When I called Ford, they got me on the phone with someone at the dealership, who swore up and down that they would never do that, and that he would look into it and get right back with me. I haven't heard from him in several days, and every time I call the dealership they say I need to talk with a different person who doesn't call me back. They did mention that they would like me to purchase some dealer add-on items when I originally put my money down. I immediately said I wouldn't do any of that, and they said "well we won't lose your business over the add-ons". They then proceeded to prepare the purchase agreement which doesn't include any of the add-on items and took my deposit.

• Like 1

While I'm no expert, I have bought new vehicles at more than a handful of dealerships (including factory orders). My spidey-sense was going off the whole time I was doing the purchase agreement, but I was trying to give business to a friend of mine who is a salesman at the dealer. I should have just walked away and found a different dealership.

1 hour ago, Neil99 said:

Thanks for the responses. When I called Ford, they got me on the phone with someone at the dealership, who swore up and down that they would never do that, and that he would look into it and get right back with me. I haven't heard from him in several days, and every time I call the dealership they say I need to talk with a different person who doesn't call me back. They did mention that they would like me to purchase some dealer add-on items when I originally put my money down. I immediately said I wouldn't do any of that, and they said "well we won't lose your business over the add-ons". They then proceeded to prepare the purchase agreement which doesn't include any of the add-on items and took my deposit.

Hi Neil. If Ford Customer Relations "...got you on the phone with someone at the Dealership...", and now the Dealership is giving you the run-around, then call Ford Customer Relations back and let them know what has happened up until now and that you are getting the runaround. Tell them what you wrote here...i.e. that you called Ford Customer Relations previously, and FCR  "got you on the phone with someone at the dealership, who swore up and down that they would never do that, and that he would look into it and get right back with me. I haven't heard from him in several days, and every time I call the dealership they say I need to talk with a different person who doesn't call me back".

I would also make these suggestions:

- Forget phone calls, emails, texts etc. to the Dealership (if possible). Physically go there. There are better chances of success if we go to the Dealership and deal with people face to face (if possible). It is harder to B.S., spin/lie to a customer when the customer is standing right in front of them. It is also harder for them to tell you so-and-so "is not in today", if you see them sitting at their desk.

- You've given them enough time to take care of this, now go to the Dealership and speak to the Sales Manager or General Manager of the Dealership, not the salespeople.

- Always ask for and take down the name of everyone you speak to. Ask them how to spell it so they know you are writing it down..."I'm sorry, your name was...?" If you go to the Dealership, bring a small pad, take it out and write their name down in front of them, if you are bad with names. It is often harder for someone to pass the buck if they know their name is involved. Hey, some people are simply dishonest, will lie to your face and don't care, but some people do care and it can make a difference. .

Keep us updated and good luck.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Neil99 said:

The sales manager just called me. They aren't going to charge me anything extra. He gave me an out the door price that matches up with what our contract said. Thanks for your help!

Hi Neil. Happy to hear it all worked out!

Let us know how things go when your vehicle arrives, and good luck. ?

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1