Sore Subject... What are the fuel prices in your area?

5 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I think the battery found from the link is for a regular Ford Fusion Hybrid, I owned a Fusion plug in hybrid (PHEV) called Enegi, the battery is 9kwh whereas the regular hybrid is only 1.4kwh.  I suspect the battery cost for a PHEV will be significantly more than $2350.

image.png.becc979d3e3a45191ccdeeeda7d4910f.png

My research showed it was for Energi, but sure...whatever you need to get you through the night.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twintornados said:

https://www.greentecauto.com/hybrid-battery/ford/fusion/ford-fusion-2013-2015-hybrid-battery

You could have gotten a replacement pack for less than $2500, gotten the old pack recycled at that price point and been on your way....but, I digress....

I called Greentec and the battery on their website from the link you provided is for a standard hybrid 1.4 kwh, the PHEV for Energi at 9kwh is $3800 for 18mo warranty and $4500 for 36mo warranty.  He said the PHEV battery should be a lot more but they discount it due to what the market will bare.  The Volt battery at 13kwh is $7500 for 18mo and $10k for 36 mo.  Maybe you can share your research?  I'm sure Ford wants a small fortune for a new PHEV battery for a Fusion Energi.

• Haha 1

If this crap keeps up...the market pricing for SD trucks will go from crazy high prices to ridiculously low.

Many people that have 3/4 or 1 t trucks that do not tow or haul and just use them as daily drivers will be dumping them. I can see the market getting flooded with used HD trucks if this keeps up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

If this crap keeps up...the market pricing for SD trucks will go from crazy high prices to ridiculously low.

Many people that have 3/4 or 1 t trucks that do not tow or haul and just use them as daily drivers will be dumping them. I can see the market getting flooded with used HD trucks if this keeps up.

There will have to be relief from the Fed, no way they can keep gas prices this high along with inflation at 5-7%. Yes diesel is high but so is regular gas, all a product of speculation in the oil market specifically Brent Crude futures. This will trigger over production in the US/OPEC/Venezuela due to some shady back room deals, and the market will become saturated by the summer driving season. This is my guess anyways.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

The key to low USA fuel costs are to be energy independent.  If we produced 100% of our own oil and gas, the price would stabilize in the USA and I can't think of anything else around the world that could change that price.  Finishing the keystone pipeline and opening up exploring and uncapping wells that are ready to pump is what we should do immediately, this is what Trump was doing until Biden had to reverse the progress.  We shouldn't import one single drop of oil, especially from any country that hates our guts and wants us exterminated like Iran or Russia.

Okay, I agree the keystone pipeline wouldn't fix our problems right away, but every day closer to opening that spigot would help our morale and ease tensions and possibly ease gouging.  We have all the energy in the USA we need for over 100 years, that has been proven, all we need to do is extract it and use it.  Getting oil and gas from other countries doesn't do a damn thing to help the global climate, and it's actually worse for the planet because in many of these foreign lands, they are careless with the extraction and cause more issue than extracting here in the USA.

Electric cars are cool, I agree, but the electricity must come from somewhere and solar and wind cannot provide what is needed.  Nuclear is the best solution for electricity and it will take a long time before an individual all electric transportation system is ready in USA.  The Liberals and environmentalist are trying to force electric vehicles on the public, this cannot work because there is not enough electricity to go around and the infrastructure is not ready so we must do both at the same time, develop a long term solution to our electric demand and keep progress moving forward by using the fossil fuels we have available.

We shouldn't import one single drop of oil or gas from outside the USA, it can be done.

Trump used to say we were energy independent when he was president and a net exporter at the same time.  I don't know the truth, some have said we were still importing from Russia and other foreign countries at the same time and we were selling enough through exports that on paper, we could say we were independent and exporting at the same time. Either way, we have the ability to be 100% energy independent, we just need leaders that have the will to make it so.

I apologize for the rant...

787Toolman

The oil from the Keystone pipeline would also be imported from Canada.  With only 5% at most destined for the US the impact of the pipeline for the US would be negligible.

The current prices of gas are due to Russia waging a war that never should have been and OPEC countries not living up to their promises to pump more oil after the pandemic was predominantly over. They promised to increase production by 400,000 barrels per day but have barely managed to achieve a 200,000 increase.  

Shale oil production in the US stopped when the pandemic hit because the price per barrel fell so low it made it financially impossible.  Most of the shale oil producers went bankrupt.  Until we get that capacity back, we are reliant upon the external market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Shale oil production in the US stopped when the pandemic hit because the price per barrel fell so low it made it financially impossible.  Most of the shale oil producers went bankrupt.  Until we get that capacity back, we are reliant upon the external market.

From a friend of a friend (alleged VP from a small producer), so take it for what it's worth...

Big oil companies bought up the assets from the shale oil producers and destroyed the equipment.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DecoSF said:

05:00 03/08 in San Francisco right now. Went up over $0.50 over night. 

F9A80ECA-5B40-473C-894B-F95CE45AF1BF.jpeg

Gonna need another digit on those signs.

I wonder when someone will be smart enough to add c0.1 to a gas tax so we can do away with the the .9 BS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

The oil from the Keystone pipeline would also be imported from Canada.  With only 5% at most destined for the US the impact of the pipeline for the US would be negligible.

The few sources I found say all of the oil flowing thru the Keystone pipeline comes from Canada to USA, not the other way around.  Can you share where your info comes from that only 5% of Keystone oil will come to USA?

I read another article where the Canadian oil company TC Energy says they will not finish Keystone pipeline now, they have been jerked around so many times they're moving on.

TC Energy will not revive Keystone XL oil pipeline project | BOE Report

Gas and diesel prices were already going up before Russia invaded Ukraine and every penny of increase before and after Is because of the stupidity of Joe Biden and his green energy nut jobs in power that think electricity is PFM plus Joe Biden's feckless and idiotic foreign policy that could get us all killed if Putin launches nukes because he smells weakness like a shark with blood.  God help us all...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

going up 

I won't be surprised if Ford adds a diesel surcharge to deliver trucks after assembly due to fuel prices going up as high as Jerry Nadler's pants.  Ford charges $1695 for delivery but if fuel is doubled by the time my truck is delivered hopefully in a few weeks the freight will have to increase or someone will lose money.  I can't sell my truck, I have a legitimate reason for owning a truck that can tow a trailer, but I could get an EV or PHEV as a daily driver but then when battery dies from too many charging cycles, I'll have to get my wallet out and hand over the same money as the fuel costs would have been.  Finally, once more of us get hooked on EV's and the electricity that fuels them, they will raise the cost of electricity as we will be beholden to the power companies and have little choice but to pay.

14 hours ago, road turtle said:

From a friend of a friend (alleged VP from a small producer), so take it for what it's worth...

Big oil companies bought up the assets from the shale oil producers and destroyed the equipment.

Now, how are you going to be able to blame POTUS with facts like that?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

I called Greentec and the battery on their website from the link you provided is for a standard hybrid 1.4 kwh, the PHEV for Energi at 9kwh is $3800 for 18mo warranty and $4500 for 36mo warranty.  He said the PHEV battery should be a lot more but they discount it due to what the market will bare.  The Volt battery at 13kwh is $7500 for 18mo and $10k for 36 mo.  Maybe you can share your research?  I'm sure Ford wants a small fortune for a new PHEV battery for a Fusion Energi.

There are several companies that produce (and recycle) battery packs...as the technology improves, the prices will continue to fall

https://www.besthybridbatteries.com/products/ford-fusion-energi-2013-2015-plugin-hybrid-battery

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

Now, how are you going to be able to blame POTUS with facts like that?

I’m not arguing one side or the other but those are hardly “facts” unless you have other credible sources and not just internet  rumors spread by confirmation bias.

• Like 6

If this fuel price increase doesn't end soon, we are all going to be in a world of hurt unless you're rich.   I assume prices in California are about $1.50 -$2 more than rest of the country due to state taxes on fuel, or is it something else?

Edited by akirby
Removed political comments

Currently driving a 2014 F150 running 35 x 12.50 x 17s and I get 10-12 mpg. Cost in central VA is roughly 4.30 for gas and between 5.10-5.30 for diesel. Running a 36 gallon tank on my truck and my last 18.8 gallon fill up was 80$. So I’m figuring 140-150 per fill up every 350-400 miles. New ordered truck is a 48 gallon f250, needless to say I’m hoping prices got the decline. 

• Thanks 1