Sore Subject... What are the fuel prices in your area?

Just filled my 2017 Ranger 2.2L for 72 Philippine Pesos/liter Diesel.  Works out to just over $5/ gallon but only because the USD-PHP exchange rate has been climbing.

Gas is maybe 10-15pesos more/liter so another $1/gallon.

My normal go to place for best price near my apartment in San Antonio is Costco and right now they're posting $3.90

Edited by 4thTimer
  • Thanks 1

I live in PA but right on the PA/MD line.  Gas is more than 50 cents cheaper a gallon in MD because of the astronomical gas tax in PA (third highest in county, if I'm not mistaken).  I filled up my car this morning for $4.05/gallon (with 0.10 royal farm discount) in MD (would be $4.79 in PA).  Interestingly, gas has dropped 15 cents per gallon since last thursday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWnative said:

$4.59 for unleaded / $5.09 for premium in Phoenix. Was in L.A. last week and it was anywhere from $5.99 to $6.99 for unleaded depending on where you were at. 

NW, do you know why fuel prices are around $2 more per gallon in CA than AZ or the rest of the country?  Is there a state fuel tax imposed by CA?

2 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

NW, do you know why fuel prices are around $2 more per gallon in CA than AZ or the rest of the country?  Is there a state fuel tax imposed by CA?

3 main reasons. High gas taxes. They have stricter emissions requirements that impacts how the fuel is processed which raises costs. CA is what is called a ‘fuel island’ meaning none of the fuel they receive comes through an interstate pipeline. They produce 30% of their fuel in the state, the remaining 70% come in via truck, ship, etc. Much more expensive than a pipeline would be. 

Edited by NWnative
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NWnative said:

3 main reasons. High gas taxes. They have stricter emissions requirements that impacts how the fuel is processed which raises costs. CA is what is called a ‘fuel island’ meaning none of the fuel they receive comes through an interstate pipeline. They produce 30% of their fuel in the state, the remaining 70% come in via truck, ship, etc. Much more expensive than a pipeline would be. 

Thanks, I guess I should have known California leaders use superior thinking as compared to the rest of the country. I know that high speed train they spent billions on is the envy of the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, road turtle said:

Snowbird friend that left yesterday said truck stop Diesel price is $5.50 :( .  We head back home in a couple of weeks.  I should only have to use truck stops twice.

Sad to see it seems like they are hitting the truckers harder ?.

• Thanks 1

I am in the Salt Lake City area driving my 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel while waiting for my truck to be built.  Fuel prices are $5.15/gallon at the major stations but $4.89 at Costco.  At this rate you could pay for the membership in a few fill ups.  I remember too well that when the first Gulf War started, gas jumped to over a dollar a gallon.  We see no foreign crude oil in Utah and it all comes from the oil fields in Wyoming and Utah via truck and pipeline yet we have some of the highest fuel prices in the nation.  The refineries here produce fuel and pump it as far away as Las Vegas and Boise Idaho via pipeline.

Oh, my next truck is going back to a Godzilla after having two diesel trucks previously.  I loved the trucks and the economy I got (and torque to pass cars going uphill) but the price difference is crazy.  Even the fuel tax is much higher on diesel.  I guess by 6000# pickup is ripping up the highways?  Hang in there, the pendulum swings both ways and never stops at the center.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, Montana85 said:

Sad to see it seems like they are hitting the truckers harder ?.

I paid $5.19 yesterday in FL.  I had run the tank down pretty far... it was an expensive fill up.  Just to make it worse, I have a BP card, and it got declined twice, as they sent a confirmation text to my wife's phone.  She got the text AFTER I had filled up using AMEX, loosing the BP discount in the process.

• Thanks 1