Sore Subject... What are the fuel prices in your area?

On 14 December 2022, Monument, Colorado, $3.29 per gallon for unleaded regular with NO ethanol.  I believe that with ethanol was under $3.  I don't use ethanol unless it is the only fuel available as I get 10% better mileage with ethanol free gas as opposed to gas with up to 10% ethanol. The only benefit of ethanol in gas is money for the ethanol producers.

Edited by rottekatz1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This morning's gas prices in Hamden, CT (New Haven)

• $3.45 Regular (Cash) @ Gulf
  • $3.53 Regular (Cash) @ Citgo

GasBuddy_2023-04-14_Hamden, CT_Gulf.jpg

GasBuddy_2023-04-14_Hamden, CT_Citgo.jpg

CT is still phasing back in the $0.25 state tax that was waived last year. Full tax will be restored by June. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

• 2 weeks later...

• $3.59 Regular (Cash) @ Gulf
  • $3.75 Regular (Cash) @ Citgo

CT is still phasing back in the $0.25 state tax that was waived last year. Full tax will be restored by June. 

GasBuddy_2023-04-22_Hamden, CT_Gulf.jpg

GasBuddy_2023-04-22_Hamden, CT_Citgo.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

9 hours ago, ice-capades said:

• $3.75 Regular (Cash) @ Citgo

GasBuddy_2023-04-22_Hamden, CT_Gulf.jpg

GasBuddy_2023-04-22_Hamden, CT_Citgo.jpg

Those stations seem to be less than a block apart and have some wild price deviations.  What’s the story?

I filled up at a Harris Teeter (Kroger affiliated) on Thursday for $3.59.  I had fuel points to use so that reduced the cost.  Otherwise, I’d fill up next door at Costco.

52 minutes ago, slemke said:

Those stations seem to be less than a block apart and have some wild price deviations.  What’s the story?

I filled up at a Harris Teeter (Kroger affiliated) on Thursday for $3.59.  I had fuel points to use so that reduced the cost.  Otherwise, I’d fill up next door at Costco.

The two stations are on either end of an island that splits Dixwell Avenue between two intersections and only a Popeyes restaurant between them. The prices are usually much closer, on average about 5 cents apart for regular, but the Citgo station is always higher. CT has "Zone" pricing so prices can vary a lot between the zones. Up until about a year ago, the price differential was 20 cents between 87 and 89 octane but now is 70-80 cents. 

2 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Up here in Oakville Ontario it’s 157.9 a litre. I’m not a mathematician I don’t know what it is in gallons but I know as with almost everything else we Canadians are paying more forsure 

157.9 Can dollar/ltr X  3.785 ltr/gallon X .73 usd/can dollar= $4.36 / US gallon. So about a dime more than here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois. But, no worries, our next gas tax hike is coming.  

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

157.9 Can dollar/ltr X  3.785 ltr/gallon X .73 usd/can dollar= $4.36 / US gallon. So about a dime more than here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois. But, no worries, our next gas tax hike is coming.  

Thanks for the info I guess no matter where you live these days there is a gas tax. 

• $3.69 Regular (Cash) @ Citgo

GasBuddy_2023-04-24_Hamden, CT_Gulf.jpg

GasBuddy_2023-04-24_Hamden, CT_Citgo.jpg

Some of these prices make no sense. The Citgo and Gulf station price difference is only 10 cents... okay. For mid-grade (89) octane the difference is 70 cents from regular at Gulf but $1.00 at Citgo and for premium the difference from mid-grade is another 40 cents from Gulf to Citgo.

It seems that the gas companies are keeping the regular gas prices low for marketing or other reasons and taking advantage of the consumers buying mid-range or premium grade gas to maximize their profits. 

Hamden Citgo & Gulf_Hybrid Aerial View.jpg

The Hamden Gulf station is at the north end of the "island" and the Hamden Citgo station at the south. The Popeyes restaurant is the only business between the Citgo and Gulf stations. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

It seems that the gas companies are keeping the regular gas prices low for marketing or other reasons and taking advantage of the consumers buying mid-range or premium grade gas to maximize their profits.

I only buy regular gas so I guess that pricing works to my advantage.  Seriously though, I thought the vast majority of drivers buy 87 and call it good enough.  No vehicle I’ve owned required more than regular if I recall correctly.