Sore Subject... What are the fuel prices in your area?

10 hours ago, Good2eat said:

Well, that didn’t take long.  As of today regular is $4.99, diesel $5.99.

I filled up yesterday at BJs for $4.66 for diesel and I thought that was highway robbery, man this is getting to be a serious national problem that if we don't fix it will have a devastating effect on everything we buy or sell.  This is a hidden tax that affects everyone.  I predict Ford will increase delivery charge from $1695 to something higher very soon.  If I had to pay $5.99 for diesel, I'd be very unhappy so I feel for those that are paying that much or more, totally unnecessary IMHO.

6 hours ago, JT42 said:

Just filled up Diesel 4.99 Reg 4.09 in WV.

image.thumb.png.90e728ecbbb1aad3f2bbe88b40b1ceea.png

OMG, this is terrible news...I remember back in 2008 or 2009 price of fuel was as high as I had ever seen, I think around $4/gal for gas and I had an F150 KR.  If I remember correctly, we had another spike to around $4 like 2014 and that's when I purchased a PHEV which was a Ford Fusion.  I was getting like 140 MPG with the PHEV on electric and like 77 MPG combined with electric and gas and like 45 MPG on straight gas.  When prices got back down, I traded in the 2008 F150 KR and the Fusion for the 2017 F350 CCSB Platinum Diesel I'm driving now.  This situation has to be the worst I've seen in my lifetime but stopping using Russian oil is more than what is causing this.

17 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

OMG, this is terrible news...I remember back in 2008 or 2009 price of fuel was as high as I had ever seen, I think around $4/gal for gas and I had an F150 KR.  If I remember correctly, we had another spike to around $4 like 2014 and that's when I purchased a PHEV which was a Ford Fusion.  I was getting like 140 MPG with the PHEV on electric and like 77 MPG combined with electric and gas and like 45 MPG on straight gas.  When prices got back down, I traded in the 2008 F150 KR and the Fusion for the 2017 F350 CCSB Platinum Diesel I'm driving now.  This situation has to be the worst I've seen in my lifetime but stopping using Russian oil is more than what is causing this.

Kirby said data is inaccurate.

Edited by JT42

1 hour ago, JT42 said:

One thing we have to keep in mind is inflation when comparing past prices of fuel. Cost adjustments in terms of inflation are why we are seeing these large swings. The real culprit here is inflation, but we keep printing money. Fuel is also a global commodity, so we few levers in the short term to control it unless global production increases. 

See data set below. 

Avg Gas_Inflation.png

How can the inflation adjusted price be virtually the same every year 2000-2008 when the actual price varied every year from 1.51 to 3.27?

I agree you need to consider inflation but this chart seems bogus.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

How can the inflation adjusted price be virtually the same every year 2000-2008 when the actual price varied every year from 1.51 to 3.27?

I agree you need to consider inflation but this chart seems bogus.

Consumer Price Index

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

CPI goes up every year.  It does not go up, then back down, then back up, then down, etc. etc.  That is fake data.

Whatever you say captain-  I'm not getting into annual avg of specific commodity CPI and how that relates to adjusted gasoline costs on the blue oval forums. I'll remove my post/and fake data chart. 

17 minutes ago, JT42 said:

Whatever you say captain-  I'm not getting into annual avg of specific commodity CPI and how that relates to adjusted gasoline costs on the blue oval forums. I'll remove my post/and fake data chart. 

Just show me the math and show me where inflation went backwards from 2007 to 2008.

58 minutes ago, JT42 said:

I found the problem.  That chart is adjusting gasoline prices based on gasoline CPI not overall inflation.  So of course the adjusted prices are going to be almost identical.  The adjustments come from the prices themselves.

For an accurate comparison use the overall inflation adjustment factors.

As an example a gallon of gas that cost $2.17 in 2020 would be $2.38 in 2022 prices not $3.34.  Inflation was only 9%.  To go from 2.17 to 3.34 would be over 50% inflation in 2 years.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1