Does Ford have any plans for $4, possible $6/gal fuel?

Well here we go again. The 70's revisited. Ford and GM dropped sedans. Some people won't want electric cars so the Japanese will win again with their Camrys and Sentras etc.!  They couldn't keep the Fusion?  Really?!!  At least the police depts. could have had a Ford option instead of having to go to Dodge for sedans!  I don't know if art is imitating life or vice versa, but all the murder mystery/cop shows in the early seasons had Crown Vics on the shows, but in later years after the Crown Vic was dropped by Ford,  Dodges started showing up on my TV screen.  The show "Castle" is just one example.  I haven't seen one Ford Explorer in a TV mystery murder or cop show EVER!!!  Have you?  Anyway Ford just might see a drop in police orders if the Dodge sedans get better fuel mileage than the Explorers.  I haven't done any research on MPG comparisons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Well here we go again. The 70's revisited. Ford and GM dropped sedans. Some people won't want electric cars so the Japanese will win again with their Camrys and Sentras etc.!  They couldn't keep the Fusion?  Really?!!  At least the police depts. could have had a Ford option instead of having to go to Dodge for sedans!  I don't know if art is imitating life or vice versa, but all the murder mystery/cop shows in the early seasons had Crown Vics on the shows, but in later years after the Crown Vic was dropped by Ford,  Dodges started showing up on my TV screen.  The show "Castle" is just one example.  I haven't seen one Ford Explorer in a TV mystery murder or cop show EVER!!!  Have you?  Anyway Ford just might see a drop in police orders if the Dodge sedans get better fuel mileage than the Explorers.  I haven't done any research on MPG comparisons.

Explorer hybrid gets better mileage than any other pursuit rated vehicle. The problem Ford has (along with everyone else) is that they don't have the battery supply. If Ford had their way they would be running 3 shifts at the Mach-e plant and be building every Hybrid F-150's, Explorer, Escape, Maverick, PIH Corsair and Aviator they could make. The problem is they don't have the battery or chip supply and it is only getting worse now not better. 

Edited by jasonj80

Hi Joe771476! Ford's primary plan for this scenario is the same plan it established a few years ago, electrification. The main tasks Ford must execute in this context are.

1. Accelerate timelines for the transition to a 100% electric vehicle lineup for both retail consumer and fleet vehicles, including police cars.
  2. As jasonj80 mentioned, figure out how to expand production capacity for BEV and the HV batteries those vehicles use.
  3. Take advantage of the new corporate structure to establish new franchise agreements for dealers who sell Ford BEV, ensuring that the go to market experience is as close to "frictionless" as possible.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 2

Joe771476, regarding police cars shown on TV shows and movies, for those filmed on location in NYC you may see Ford Mustang Mach-E police vehicles on your TV screen soon. Back in December, Jim Farley announced that NYPD and other law enforcement agencies in New York city spent $11.5 million on Mach-E purchases.

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

I think that anything north of $4 for a sustained period of time will trigger a recession.  This will lead to lower sales and revenues and cancelation of programs. 

What in pray tell are they going to cancel?

Long term-5 years out, they are already investing in BEVs across the line up-that isn't going to change.

I can't think of anything short term that would get shitcanned that we don't already know about...nor does it make any sense.

In the grand scheme of things, once you hit 20MPG, your fuel savings aren't linear with increased MPGs. People aren't driving 14 MPG highway Explorers like they did almost 10-15 years ago.

I see lots of belt tightening due to fuel costs and to get slightly pollical the democrats shown the door this November in US. A Recession is a good chance-we are due for one and it most likely help with the supply situation due to demand decreasing. 

This isn't the first time we've seen $4+ gas. If it goes up higher then that, well guess we will see.

4 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

A lot of Explorer cop cars are hybrids that get at least 27mpg in city driving. And they get better fuel mileage than V8 Daytona.

Going from 15 to 25 saves you 400 gallons per year at 15k annual miles or $1600-$2000 ($4-$5/gallon).

Going from 20 to 30 only saves you 250 gallons.   25 to 35 only saves 171 gallons.  Most trucks now are over 20 unless you’re towing and people that need to tow don’t have a choice.

Recession could cause a drop in new vehicle sales but given supply chain issues that might not be so bad either.  I certainly don’t see fuel costs alone impacting sales too much in the near future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Explorer hybrids are more fuel efficient than most of the chargers, and faster, and it should be more reliable, and it's better in the snow, and more spacious. Those chargers are junk from what I've heard, they're basically shot by the time they reach 50k. 

Among other things (housing and stock market bubbles, high debt levels, etc.), $4/gallon gasoline helped contribute to the economic collapse in 2008, and I won't be surprised if we have a repeat of the events of 2008. I think MME and upcoming EV's, hybrids, and the 3 cylinder Escape and Bronco Sport will make up for the loss of the cars for those who can afford them. New car buyers who can't afford them can just try to get a Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, or Corolla. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

What in pray tell are they going to cancel?

Long term-5 years out, they are already investing in BEVs across the line up-that isn't going to change.

I can't think of anything short term that would get shitcanned that we don't already know about...nor does it make any sense.

In the grand scheme of things, once you hit 20MPG, your fuel savings aren't linear with increased MPGs. People aren't driving 14 MPG highway Explorers like they did almost 10-15 years ago.

I see lots of belt tightening due to fuel costs and to get slightly pollical the democrats shown the door this November in US. A Recession is a good chance-we are due for one and it most likely help with the supply situation due to demand decreasing. 

This isn't the first time we've seen $4+ gas. If it goes up higher then that, well guess we will see.

I can see them scaling back the train station and the assembly side of BOC if things get really bad. 

56 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

I can see them scaling back the train station and the assembly side of BOC if things get really bad. 

If gas prices increase it makes BOC more likely to succeed. Everything that affected by high gas prices will force a reaction away from using gasoline and diesel, be that hybrids or BEVs. It just underscores the need for those who can to move away from ICE.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

If gas prices increase it makes BOC more likely to succeed. Everything that affected by high gas prices will force a reaction away from using gasoline and diesel, be that hybrids or BEVs. It just underscores the need for those who can to move away from ICE.

Every Tesla that goes by means one less vehicle jamming up the local gas station. Even with a Hybrid, I don't visit the gas station often. 

• Like 2

This situation has triggered a lot of concern in the glass house. This gas crisis caught them way off guard because it happened overnight and hasn’t been building for a long time. If this gets really really bad with gas prices I am a certain they will revisit Fusion/Mondeo and/or Focus for another run in NA. Both sets of vehicles were designed to meet US federal crash requirements. I’ve been told that there already is discussion about some sort of affordable sedan program but not sure the specifics.

40 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

This situation has triggered a lot of concern in the glass house. This gas crisis caught them way off guard because it happened overnight and hasn’t been building for a long time. If this gets really really bad with gas prices I am a certain they will revisit Fusion/Mondeo and/or Focus for another run in NA. Both sets of vehicles were designed to meet US federal crash requirements. I’ve been told that there already is discussion about some sort of affordable sedan program but not sure the specifics.

The big issue is finding enough chips and supplies to build anything, can’t sell what you can’t make…

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The big issue is finding enough chips and supplies to build anything, can’t sell what you can’t make…

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

But would they buy them or Maverick and escape hybrids?  I’m betting the latter.  Too bad Ford doesn’t have the battery supply to quickly increase the hybrid mix.  Toyota is going to make a killing on their hybrids.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Hi Joe771476! Ford's primary plan for this scenario is the same plan it established a few years ago, electrification. The main tasks Ford must execute in this context are.

1. Accelerate timelines for the transition to a 100% electric vehicle lineup for both retail consumer and fleet vehicles, including police cars.
  2. As jasonj80 mentioned, figure out how to expand production capacity for BEV and the HV batteries those vehicles use.
  3. Take advantage of the new corporate structure to establish new franchise agreements for dealers who sell Ford BEV, ensuring that the go to market experience is as close to "frictionless" as possible.

So the way to fight high gas prices is to buy a BEV that’s $10 - 15K more expensive than a comparable ICE vehicle? That’s ridiculous. What’s the plan to combat soaring electricity rates?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Every Tesla that goes by means one less vehicle jamming up the local gas station. Even with a Hybrid, I don't visit the gas station often. 

Working from home I don’t visit a gas station very often either.  So what does our President do?  Suggest that we return to our downtown offices.  What ever happened to conservation?  The last time gas hit $4+, companies allowed more work from home.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, slemke said:

But would they buy them or Maverick and escape hybrids?  I’m betting the latter.  Too bad Ford doesn’t have the battery supply to quickly increase the hybrid mix.  Toyota is going to make a killing on their hybrids.

There are long waits for Rav 4 hybrids and the Prime even more so. Toyota can make more hybrids than Ford it seems, but demand for hybrids is much greater than supply no matter the maker.

24 minutes ago, slemke said:

Working from home I don’t visit a gas station very often either.  So what does our President do?  Suggest that we return to our downtown offices.  What ever happened to conservation?  The last time gas hit $4+, companies allowed more work from home.

Yep, working at home is great way to conserve fuel. If everyone could try to conserve even 1gallon/week of fuel, it would help a lot. Also E bikes are the rage now and can be used for simple errands. Bring the fuel demand down maybe 5 to 10%, and prices could moderate a bit. 

• Like 2

The truth is that most manufacturers are locked into certain build profiles for about the next six months, that would have more effect than anything else. Strong lessons on how Ford and other manufacturers got to this point but something they just have to suck up for now….

44 minutes ago, slemke said:

For the other 160 million owners not buying a new vehicle this year, it’s just a case of reducing discretionary mileage and only doing essential trips.

• Like 2