Does Ford have any plans for $4, possible $6/gal fuel?

56 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

not worth waiting in that line to me 

I get fuel at Sam's Club and is almost always .20+ cheaper. Secret for me is getting there before 9 am as by 10 the lines are long. Have never waited more than 5 minutes if I get there early. Luckily Sam's Club is only about 15 minutes away. Costco is 90 minutes away and not viable. BJ's just opened a new store close by, but to me they are all the same. But competition is good. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I get fuel at Sam's Club and is almost always .20+ cheaper. Secret for me is getting there before 9 am as by 10 the lines are long. Have never waited more than 5 minutes if I get there early. Luckily Sam's Club is only about 15 minutes away. Costco is 90 minutes away and not viable. BJ's just opened a new store close by, but to me they are all the same. But competition is good. 

There's a BJ's in Taylor which I suppose I could hit on my way home for work but there's a BP on my way home that usually has comparable prices so I go there. 

On 3/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, akirby said:

His proposal wouldn’t work for a number of reasons but what he was proposing was something like budget billing with the power company.  You pay the same rate every month even though your actual cost fluctuates season to season.  Makes it easier to budget.  With gas prices fluctuating it causes rapid changes in consumer buying preferences and makes it hard for mfrs to predict demand.  More stable prices means more predictable demand.  We may see something similar with BEVs and Electricity costs down the road.

My home electric bill with 3 people is $75/month most of the year!  Why?  I use Mother Nature to heat and cool my house.  I open and close windows at the proper times.  Cuts down drastically on furnace and AC operation.  No, you can't do it in the dead of winter or summer, but most often you can.  You have a 5 bulb ceiling fan? Use just one bulb, two tops.  Three bulb fixture in bathroom?  One's enough!  You'll see just fine.  I only use cold water in clothes washer. Clothes are clean!

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, Joe771476 said:

My home electric bill with 3 people is $75/month most of the year!  Why?  I use Mother Nature to heat and cool my house.  I open and close windows at the proper times.  Cuts down drastically on furnace and AC operation.  No, you can't do it in the dead of winter or summer, but most often you can.  You have a 5 bulb ceiling fan? Use just one bulb, two tops.  Three bulb fixture in bathroom?  One's enough!  You'll see just fine.  I only use cold water in clothes washer. Clothes are clean!

I've switched out most of my incandescence lamps with LED.  

Now my 5 bulb ceiling fan is using 35 watts for (5) 60 watt luminescence equivalent.  I prefer Phillips, not those cheap brands found at Home De-Pot.

The only ones I haven' changed are the hallway lights, since I would need to change out the enclosure.  The LEDs power supply/converters do not like heat, which shortens their life.

But the hallway lights are on so briefly, it would not make a big difference.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:47 PM, jcartwright99 said:

Still putting in premium despite this. Mind you this is Costco so it’s about 10 -20 % cheaper than most gas stations.

71300262-93A7-4AEE-9115-91545C522745.jpeg

I’ve been using that Upside app (it was “get upside” until recently) that gives you cash back when you fill up.  It can range anywhere from 1c to 40c gallon.  And can either be done through direct cash back or gift cards if you don’t want them to have your account.

I’ve been using it for a month now and have gotten about $30 back.  I’ve filled up 9 times in that timeframe.   Not every station participates (you look on a map in the app and it shows ones that use it) but a lot do.   So it’s not necessarily a lot but it’s Better than nothing!

it also works on various restaurants too.

if anyone wants, I can DM with an invite link/code.

Well no doubt we’ll have $7 dollar gas here in the Chicago area this summer. I saw a gas station pulling the 10cent discount for cash. Credit was 5.99 for regular. 

Interesting enough, went to Michigan this weekend and got 31 MPG going 75 on highway. A tune up, summer gas, and a recent oil change seems to have made a difference. I was not getting anything over 28 my last few visits.

Stopped in Howell for lunch at a Brewery and heard several people complaining about gas and diesel prices. One guy was driving a lifted Duramax and another with a 392 Jeep. I guess their governor may stop the state gas tax for a few months for relief. Meanwhile my local government is taking excess Covid money from Feds to pay for free gas for the lower income. SMH

22 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Tis an election year. One politician here gave away about 3 million in gas. That wasn’t a political stunt at all.

I'll tell you exactly what she'll do. It will be attached to some larger bill and she'll give it the line item veto and hope nobody notices so she can blame the other party. She's been doing it for 4 years. 

Suspending the gas tax is pretty dumb but why else would politicians be running their mouth to do it. The savings individually are minuscule vs the overall impact it will have.

In Michigan you're only going to save about .27 cents a gallon, so maybe $4 a fill-up. The legislator/governor can't legally suspend the sales tax on Gas with the way the Michigan Constitution reads after the prop A changes in 1994. Now with the gas tax suspended in Michigan you've created a host of issues that get complicated. Infrastructure Bonds are earmarked to be paid with gas tax revenue, without that revenue you don't have money to pay your obligations because it is a fixed amount for gas tax revenue so where do you get that money from and that is for State Bonds for local with the wording of Act 51 (How gas tax funds are distributed) you're depriving local City and County road funds they use to pave and maintain local roads who may already have projects bid out based on that revenue or who have sold bonds against that revenue to complete large projects so they will be forces to raise mileage rates or sell more bonds to make sure they are paid. Michigan has underfunded roads for the better part of 25 years and this will just make it worse while actually providing no actual savings.

What no one is talking about yet is the price of Natural gas at 9.32/million BTU and heating oil at $4.33 peoples heating costs are going to be crazy this winter. Whatever your bill was last year use a 2.5x to figure your budget.

Edited by jasonj80

On 6/8/2022 at 2:35 AM, akirby said:

In Ga the gas tax is about 30 cents per gallon.

Our Australian fuel excise is 38 cents/liter, that’s about US $1.00/ gal, mercifully more than half of that has been suspended for a few months. We also have a 10% goods and service tax on top of that which is collected by the Feds on behalf of our state governments.

Seriously, you guys have no idea what real taxes look like….

Australian income tax rates for 2020–21 and 2021–22 (residents)

Income thresholds Rate Tax payable on this income
$0 – $18,200 0% Nil
$18,201 – $45,000 19% 19c for each $1 over $18,200
$45,001 – $120,000 32.5% $5,092 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $45,000
$120,001 – $180,000 37% $29,467 plus 37c for each $1 over $120,000
$180,001 and over 45% $51,667 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000
Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Our Australian fuel excise is 38 cents/liter, that’s about US $1.00/ gal, mercifully more than half of that has been suspended for a few months. We also have a 10% goods and service tax on top of that which is collected by the Feds on behalf of our state governments.

Seriously, you guys have no idea what real taxes look like….

Australian income tax rates for 2020–21 and 2021–22 (residents)

Income thresholds Rate Tax payable on this income
$0 – $18,200 0% Nil
$18,201 – $45,000 19% 19c for each $1 over $18,200
$45,001 – $120,000 32.5% $5,092 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $45,000
$120,001 – $180,000 37% $29,467 plus 37c for each $1 over $120,000
$180,001 and over 45% $51,667 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Are there state and local income taxes on top of that?  What common or standard deduction is available?  The first 18,200 tax free or something more?

US likes to nickel and dime you.  Federal income, payroll/social security, Medicare, state income, city income.  Then property and sales taxes.  Finally fees so that legislators can claim they didn’t raise taxes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Are there state and local income taxes on top of that?  What common or standard deduction is available?  The first 18,200 tax free or something more?

US likes to nickel and dime you.  Federal income, payroll/social security, Medicare, state income, city income.  Then property and sales taxes.  Finally fees so that legislators can claim they didn’t raise taxes.

The states are pretty reasonable with taxes which are mostly in the form of stamp duty (2.5%) on things like sale/transfer of motor vehicles and houses, they get most of their revenue for the carve up of goods and services tax collected  by the federal government. Local councils also have “Rates” I think you’d call them property tax on house and land value.

the 45% income tax bracket I posted above is to encourage those people into having a business of some sort to invest money and offset any business expenses, they even allow negative gearing a higher return on taxes in lean years until things turn positive. You can lease a vehicle for business and if it’s a commercial, you get full tax offset on lease and all operating costs…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, Joe771476 said:

I am guessing you live somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.  Open the windows at the proper time?  For me, that may be a week or 2 in the spring and fall.  The thermometer in the backyard was at 111 today.  The dead of summer here in Texas will bring me $400+ electric bills and it isn't getting any cheaper.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jwillum said:

I am guessing you live somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.  

You can't even really do that north of Mason Dixon line-the humidity is worse then the actual heat.

80 with less then 50% relative humidity is comfortable, but once it hits that 70-80% mark its swamp ass hot.  

On 3/8/2022 at 7:36 PM, ExplorerDude said:

This situation has triggered a lot of concern in the glass house. This gas crisis caught them way off guard because it happened overnight and hasn’t been building for a long time. If this gets really really bad with gas prices I am a certain they will revisit Fusion/Mondeo and/or Focus for another run in NA. Both sets of vehicles were designed to meet US federal crash requirements. I’ve been told that there already is discussion about some sort of affordable sedan program but not sure the specifics.

The current Mondeo/Tarus appears to be a super compelling vehicle. If it's already engineered with N. American safety standards in mind, I say bring it here as soon as possible. Ford keeps benchmarking sedans, especially performance ones. They were spied testing a model s plaid this weekend. I'd have a hard time believing they weren't at least considering some sort of sedan considering the fact that they've been caught benchmarking like 4 of them over the last few months.

• Like 1