Mazda CX-60 Debuts

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/08/2022-mazda-cx-60-reveal-phev-rear-drive-platform/

Mazda CX-60

Mazda CX-60

Mazda CX-60

Mazda CX-60

The Mazda CX-60 is here, and while it looks like a typical Mazda SUV, it's much more than that. It's the first model to feature Mazda's long-awaited rear-drive platform. It also is Mazda's first plug-in hybrid model to go on sale, and it will eventually get Mazda's inline-six engines.

There's only one powertrain available at launch in the CX-60, and it's the plug-in hybrid. It combines the familiar Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter four-cylinder found in the CX-5, CX-50, CX-30, 6 and 3, but it's paired with a 134-horsepower electric motor. Total output is 323 horsepower and 368 pound-feet of torque, making it the most powerful production Mazda ever. It's apparently able to go from 0 to 62 mph in 5.8 seconds. The engine is mounted longitudinally, with the electric motor and a multi-plate clutch connecting it to the new eight-speed automatic transmission. While the CX-60's platform is rear-drive-based, the plug-in hybrid model is all-wheel-drive-only, with the front wheels engaged via a multi-plate clutch. There are multiple drive modes including Normal, Sport, Off-Road, Towing, and, for the PHEV version, an EV mode. Towing capacity is also just over 5,500 pounds.

I don't love the design.....it looks nice, but would've rather seen them push the envelope a bit more.

Edited by rmc523

On 3/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, jasonj80 said:

Our version of this is the CX-70, which will have more "aggressive" off-road type styling. 

I believe Mazda said before CX-70 is midsize which means will be bigger than CX-60.

Basically, CX-50 and CX-60 are the replacement for CX-5 in North America and rest of the world, respectively. Except Mazda is keeping CX-5 in production  because it is projecting that demand for CX-50 will exceed its ability to build them so CX-5 is sticking around for now. 

CX-50 replaces CX-5 in North America (eventually)

CX-60 replaces CX-5 in rest of the world (roughly the same size as BMW X3)

CX-70 new model (roughly the same size as BMW X5)

CX-80 will be 3-row version of CX-60, replaces CX-8 (3-row version of CX-5) in rest of the world

CX-90 will be 3-row version of CX-70, replaces CX-9 in North America

North America line up: CX-30, CX-50, CX-70, CX-90

Rest of the world line up: CX-30, CX-60, CX-80

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CX-60 is kinda like if Ford developed a LWB RWD Escape,

the big danger is that it straddles two segments but pleases neither exactly  because the increased length and too narrow width puts it into a tweener that occupies no man’s land.

Edited by jpd80

On 3/28/2022 at 12:27 AM, jpd80 said:

CX-60 is kinda like if Ford developed a LWB RWD Escape,

the big danger is that it straddles two segments but pleases neither exactly  because the increased length and too narrow width puts it into a tweener that occupies no man’s land.

Yes-if it has anything in common with the Escape that's not a good thing!

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

Yes-if it has anything in common with the Escape that's not a good thing!

I think you completely missed the point, this is all about Mazda not understanding their buyers needs, the need for the new I-6 has evaporated so their RWD plans are pretty much in disarray 

Edited by jpd80

On 3/31/2022 at 2:45 PM, jpd80 said:

I think you completely missed the point, this is all about Mazda not understanding their buyers needs, the need for the new I-6 has evaporated so their RWD plans are pretty much in disarray 

I may have missed your point. But mine is to share anything a struggling model is not good. The Hybrid version is going to save the Escape-especially with the current prices on fuel being what it is.

21 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I may have missed your point. But mine is to share anything a struggling model is not good. The Hybrid version is going to save the Escape-especially with the current prices on fuel being what it is.

Dealers have virtually no Escape stock so yeah, most Escapes will be customer orders being fulfilled from months ago..

On 4/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, jpd80 said:

Dealers have virtually no Escape stock so yeah, most Escapes will be customer orders being fulfilled from months ago..

I just cruised past "auto  dealer row" today near my home town. No new models of Toyota, Hyundai,  or Chevrolet. As a matter of fact-it seems to be worst than several months ago. Can't speak to Ford as a dealership wasn't located on this particular street.

56 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I just cruised past "auto  dealer row" today near my home town. No new models of Toyota, Hyundai,  or Chevrolet. As a matter of fact-it seems to be worst than several months ago. Can't speak to Ford as a dealership wasn't located on this particular street.

Looking at National dealer inventory, it’s looks very skinny for a lot of brands, a lot of stock coming in is probably customer orders, so not much /nothing for walk in buyers….has been that way for months/ last year

Edited by jpd80

18 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Looking at National dealer inventory, it’s looks very skinny for a lot of brands, a lot of stock coming in is probably customer orders, so not much /nothing for walk in buyers….has been that way for months/ last year

My local Ford dealer's lot is now mostly used vehicles.