2022 Lincoln Navigator Reviews

Surprisingly, noone has started a thread about the reviews for the refreshed nav.  Below is one, theres a couple on yourtube, car and driver and motortrend also posted reviews as well.  

All seem to say the same thing about the nav.  The interior of the black label is still near or at the top of the class.  Though the 30 way seats still take time, they are still very comfy and has better massage.  The sound system is even better.  Sync 4, though still not as tech heavy as it's competitors, is a vast improvement to the current model.  Ride has better body control, but unfortunately not as quiet or as competitive to its newer rivals (though admittedly, most journalists state they need to do back to back runs with its rivals).  Handling is similar but more controlled.  Also, the big news, lincoln glide is nice feature, however it is heavily nanny tethered.  It's very sensitive and seems very eager to turn off for various reasons, such as looking away for more than a sec, curves, traffic, etc.  All in all, lincoln did a good job on the refresh, but it needs air suspension and some key lux features if it wants to increase segment share.

Still, you can't tell me this isn't the best looking truck on the market.

Surprisingly

Edited by Dlcorbett
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, Dlcorbett said:

Digital rear view camera, nav map in the tach, night vision, air suspension, intercom system, refrigerator.  

All these features are available in most major competitors.

I dunno if I'd care about any of these except air suspension ... though I had the option of that in my X5 and went with the sport suspension, but the 'Gator is a different vehicle ... but I still bet I'd skip it ?

Digital rear view ... I'd have to try it to see if it was useful, and call me old fashioned but a good ole mirror seems preferable to me

Nav map in the tach ... my X5 has the map between the gauges and in the head's up, that's useful!  

Night vision ... this has only ever worked for me if the vehicle is stopped and then I don't need it so never saw the benefit of it beyond a cool gadget

Intercom ... hmmm ... even the 'Gator L doesn't seem large enough for an intercom!

Refige ... this is an area where I'd DEFINITELY want my own and wouldn't want to take up precious cargo / storage space.  I use a dometic which is awesome, 5 year warranty, sips power, and is portable so that'd be my high preference

I'd be curious if/how/when anyone has other experiences / desires with these options.

Edited by GrussGott

22 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

Without air springs, lincoln would need to do a lot to make the ride class competitive,  ut it doesnt seem to be the case given the early reviews.

All the reviews I've seen have said the ride is equal to the escalade (some thought better) but they also liked the air suspension's ability to raise & lower.  My first car with air suspension was the original audi allroad  way back in the early 00s ... it was good, but more of a sport tune & since then I've drifted to sport side of ride so my butt is probably calibrated to that.

I'd definitely rather err on the side of sure-footed versus floaty which many air suspensions I've tried seem to do.  Only Porsche seems to know how to do a truck suspension right.

Edited by GrussGott

Well have to wait for a comparo to actually see of its competitive or not.  For 21 or earlier, journalists favor the escalade for ride comfort(same for chevy over ford).  I'm sure lincoln Increased ride comfort for ths refresh, but it's it escalade good, idk.  I stated before, I prefer the lincoln ride to the gm denali ride without air suspension.

The class has gotten so competitive that any way for lincoln to get an edge over the escalades recent emergence as the critical darling is sought after.  I'm just worried lincoln didn't do enough.  Especially considering the aviator has the tech already, so it shouldn't have been hard for the supplier to tweak the product to fir the navigator.

2 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

Well have to wait for a comparo to actually see of its competitive or not.  For 21 or earlier, journalists favor the escalade for ride comfort(same for chevy over ford).  I'm sure lincoln Increased ride comfort for ths refresh, but it's it escalade good, idk.  I stated before, I prefer the lincoln ride to the gm denali ride without air suspension.

The class has gotten so competitive that any way for lincoln to get an edge over the escalades recent emergence as the critical darling is sought after.  I'm just worried lincoln didn't do enough.  Especially considering the aviator has the tech already, so it shouldn't have been hard for the supplier to tweak the product to fir the navigator.

Do you really think a slight difference in ride quality would overcome styling or brand preferences?

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Do you really think a slight difference in ride quality would overcome styling or brand preferences?

Because the fullsize SUV market has heated up, I’m betting you will see a full redesign Nav in about 18 months, so perhaps they didn’t want to invest more money into this one. Of course the state of the world affairs could impact that. 

Yes, I do.  Not every buyer is a brand loyalist, esp in this class in price range.  It takes one small thing to make people change their minds for a purchase.  Maybe this forum doesn't show this, but the more dedicated forums for platforms shows how common one small item can sway a purchase.

7 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

Yes, I do.  Not every buyer is a brand loyalist, esp in this class in price range.  It takes one small thing to make people change their minds for a purchase.  Maybe this forum doesn't show this, but the more dedicated forums for platforms shows how common one small item can sway a purchase.

Generically I'd agree Lincoln needs to offer air suspension, though I'm not sure of the considerations of why they didn't ... adding the "look ahead" seems to have had an impact but, to your point, if someone is comparing like-to-like air suspension might seem like a missing luxe feature ... though the Escalade is also $20k more expensive.

as an FYI, i'm not a Lincoln or Ford person and have been driving Audis & BMWs for the last 25 years (and just bought a 2022 BMW X5) ... but, after driving a rental Expedition Max, I decided to look a bit closer at full-size SUVs.  After considering all of them, and comparing all of the features, I decided the Lincoln Navigator was the best product, so i placed an order.

If I were buying it for others, honestly I'd have probably ordered the Escalade, but I'm buying it for me so, it's the Navigator.  

Edited by GrussGott
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 9:31 PM, GrussGott said:

I like this one too for getting the driving experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODsAJgg6iEc

This was a great demo by an actual knowledgeable person. He had a lot of very good info, such as the lack of need for the trailer stickers, etc.  I knew OTAs would be able to add to vehicle systems, and he confirmed that with future versions of Active Glide with lane changing. 

Overall, a very good video. I am glad I am sticking it out and waiting for the 2022 model. Appears to be with the wait. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 1:52 AM, GrussGott said:

Generically I'd agree Lincoln needs to offer air suspension, though I'm not sure of the considerations of why they didn't ... adding the "look ahead" seems to have had an impact but, to your point, if someone is comparing like-to-like air suspension might seem like a missing luxe feature ... though the Escalade is also $20k more expensive.

as an FYI, i'm not a Lincoln or Ford person and have been driving Audis & BMWs for the last 25 years (and just bought a 2022 BMW X5) ... but, after driving a rental Expedition Max, I decided to look a bit closer at full-size SUVs.  After considering all of them, and comparing all of the features, I decided the Lincoln Navigator was the best product, so i placed an order.

If I were buying it for others, honestly I'd have probably ordered the Escalade, but I'm buying it for me so, it's the Navigator.  

I think I read / heard that there was a limitation with the "existing platform" as to why they could not offer the air suspension.

I've been in new Escalade and X7, from a driver experience I think the cockpit in both is better.  Primarily because of the features (map, camera, etc.) available in the LCD gauge cluster.  The Navigator is definitely behind here, can't see the map or really do a whole lot of customization here.  However the Nav wins in my opinion for the other seats in terms of space / comfort compared to those.  I went Navigator for (1) engine and (2) comfort for all passengers vs just driver toys.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bigzaj said:

I've been in new Escalade and X7, from a driver experience I think the cockpit in both is better.  

Interesting - same decision, but for different reasons ... I looked at the X7 and Alpina XB7 and both have very nice interiors to look at, though I wouldn't say they're THAT much better than the Navigator, just somewhat (full disclosure I have a 2022 X5M and am partial to BMWs).  The Cadillac is not my cup o tea at all, and the screens & gadgetry is meaningless to me but even ignoring that, which is subjective, where all of them lose to the Navigator is SPACE; All of them feel cramped compared to the 'Gator and the Nav's under-console front storage is a game changer.

So, when it comes to looking at them, we may all prefer different things, but when it comes to USING them it's the Nav's cubbys & bins that win me over (though I wish the large console storage was split-opening.

As for gadgets, as i noted, the Escaalade's screens are meaningless to me, but one of BMW's most useful gadgets for me is their app, MyBMW.  I use it all of the time to monitor all aspects of the car including remote 3D view!  This is especially useful if your car is parked in a ramp or valet as you can see an overhead 3D movable view of the car any time you want so you can check to see who's next to you, how much space there is, look for a break-in, etc.  It also tells you gas, tires, maintenance, etc as well as lock the doors, start the car, start the climate control, open windows, etc.

This is my first lincoln (and ford) so no idea if they have these features, but BMW's app is great!

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who wish there was air suspension have never had to pay to fix an air suspension when it breaks.  It’s probably one of the most unreliable features of any vehicle I’ve ever owned. 
my Ram 1500 came with air suspension from the factory. All it does is break. Same with the Cadillac I had before that. 

• Like 1