Used fusion hybrid…what should I look out for?

Here's a pic from my 2010 FFH, as you can see at least one of the TPMS sensors had gone bad but the High Voltage Battery (HVB) was just fine.

That pic is a couple years old and the car is now owned by friends, so it has about 325k miles now, HVB still fine.

I've had plugins for 9 years now and when people hear "battery" they tend to think in terms of the 12V battery under the hood that needs replacement every 4-5 years, but that's not the case with the HVBs that are in hybrids and plugins and as long as something isn't defective they can last a long time.

2010_FFH_300k.jpg

16 hours ago, ncmingomama said:

I need a hybrid car, or a car that gets great mileage.  If I buy used 2013-2015 at what point does battery replacement cost happen? 

I believe you can find a reconditioned hybrid battery for about $2,000 when and if needed. Posters on here say hybrid batteries are good for at least 10 years and longer. Also sometimes they can be rebooted when they quit working.

A new hybrid battery runs about $4,000 from my research. Not bad considering lithium battery for a golf cart costs $4,000. I would imagine more powerful plug in battery costs significantly more than hybrid battery. 

My Escape hybrid battery has an 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty. My plan is to buy an extended warranty when the drivetrain warranty expires. The electronics on this vehicle would be very expensive to fix that concerns me the most. Everything from power tailgate, copilot 360, to instrument display, to touch screen. 

I bought a 2018 Fusion hybrid at the beginning of the pandemic and couldn't be happier. (well, unless I could have found a reasonably priced Fusion Sport instead...). I'm not sure at what point battery replacement needs to happen for it, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

An issue is that although hybrids often last many miles, the number of drivers rebuilding old Ford hybrids with aged batteries  is relatively small compared to Toyota.  Ford also changes designs and suppliers of hybrid batteries and drivetrains. Availability of quality aftermarket rebuilds or OEM replacements for Ford hybrids is uncertain beyond the 10-12 year mark, but if you live where people drive a lot of old hybrids, you may be in luck! 

Edited by Donaldo

The Toyota hybrids can develop dud cells, the repairers say 2-8 cells is common and about $500 to replace. At worst you might need to do that but really the Ford hybrids are still a bit young for that and more likely the old old Escape hybrids from way back when…if you can still find one…

Edited by jpd80

On 3/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, jeff_h said:

Here's a pic from my 2010 FFH, as you can see at least one of the TPMS sensors had gone bad but the High Voltage Battery (HVB) was just fine.

I got my TMPS sensors done a few weeks ago and it was over $400 to replace them all! My drivers side caliper hung up, so I had to get that taken care of too

Then my passenger side rocker panel finally rotted out....

Still have another 6-8 weeks before my Bronco is built and delivered...sigh

On 3/12/2022 at 11:38 AM, FordBuyer said:

I believe you can find a reconditioned hybrid battery for about $2,000 when and if needed. Posters on here say hybrid batteries are good for at least 10 years and longer. Also sometimes they can be rebooted when they quit working.

A new hybrid battery runs about $4,000 from my research. Not bad considering lithium battery for a golf cart costs $4,000. I would imagine more powerful plug in battery costs significantly more than hybrid battery. 

My Escape hybrid battery has an 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty. My plan is to buy an extended warranty when the drivetrain warranty expires. The electronics on this vehicle would be very expensive to fix that concerns me the most. Everything from power tailgate, copilot 360, to instrument display, to touch screen. 

My uncle bought a '12 escape hybrid with about 70k on it, drove it for a little while and the battery went out. He's being quoted around 10 grand for parts and labor which is kinda nuts. But he also lives in the middle of nowhere basically. So the mechanic may just be screwing him because he knows there aren't any real competitors in the direct vicinity, so he can basically charge whatever he wants.

19 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

My uncle bought a '12 escape hybrid with about 70k on it, drove it for a little while and the battery went out. He's being quoted around 10 grand for parts and labor which is kinda nuts. But he also lives in the middle of nowhere basically. So the mechanic may just be screwing him because he knows there aren't any real competitors in the direct vicinity, so he can basically charge whatever he wants.

What does “went out” mean?

22 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

It may only need to have the battery rebooted. Worth checking out with repair shops that have experience with hybrids. And $10,000 figure is way out of line. There are reconditioned batteries out there too. 

On 3/14/2022 at 4:59 PM, ncmingomama said:

Thanks for al your responses.  I purchased a 2017 fusion energi today.  

You are going to love it, my wife has a 2016 energi we bought new it has been almost trouble free for 90,000 miles. Long term ave mileage for her is right at 55 mpg.

On 3/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, akirby said:

What does “went out” mean?

Experienced issues to the point requiring the battery pack to be replaced. It's unusual for sure, those escapes have an excellent reliability track record, and his is the first one I've come across that's had issues. 

On 3/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, FordBuyer said:

It may only need to have the battery rebooted. Worth checking out with repair shops that have experience with hybrids. And $10,000 figure is way out of line. There are reconditioned batteries out there too. 

Yeah, 10 grand is insane. I think because he actually has a little bit of experience working on and repairing his cars, he's considering purchasing a new battery replacing it himself. Not sure how easy that would be to do. But it's an option he's thrown out there.