Vehicle Undercoating

I have a F350 ordered and we are moving to upper New York near Watertown this summer. Several people have suggested that I get the new truck undercoated as soon as we move to NY. Any suggestions on types of undercoating or companies to check out? Is undercoating necessary? Thanks.

I have been using Fluid film or wool wax. I spray it on all my vehicles and trailers and even my snowplow. It keeps my things rust free but you have to apply it once a year because it does wash off in the car wash after time. It can be sprayed inside doors,tailgate,frame ect and flows into cracks. After applying the best thing to do is drive it down a long dirt road and get some dust on the coating. Keeps it on longer. Fall application is best. Out east they have what I think is called New Hampshire coatings I think. It’s a waxy oily coating 

• Like 1

My last F350's had undercoatings.  Being in upstate NY,   its a must on these trucks because all the electronics, welds  everything is exposed to the tremendous salt loads

that the state uses on all the highways.  I've seen the videos of our trucks being "corrosion dipped at the factory" its a joke if you ask me.  All three major brands around here are rusted out in 5 or 6 years.   I had my LineX dealer do the undercoats,  looked good and was done well.   Now I own a 2022 King Ranch,  so what did I do,  WoolWax.

The company that makes WoolWax also makes FluidFilm.  Both are good but WoolWax stays fluid below 32,   but FluidFilm is frozen.  I sprayed WoolWax all under and repeat once a year.

Yes Aluminum doesn't rust,  it corrodes.

Hayweezie-  I know Watertown well,  suggest you get a block heater.   Rob

• Like 1

I live in PA and was wondering about undercoating since it is an aluminum body.  I will have to check out the ideas mentioned here.  So everyone is still coating the aluminum too to protect from corrosion?

Thanks!

Dan

Edited by ButlerDan

Does anyone have any experience with the ValuGuard products that Line-X offers?  They have a rust inhibitor and an undercoating.  The latter sounds like the wax stuff you are mentioning while the inhibitor is some sort of fog that gets inside things.  I'm NOT connected with Line-X at all, I just already have several things ordered from them and was hoping to get everything done in one place.

I am in Michigan, and chose to have my truck professionally undercoated.  I also don't like the idea of a hard undercoating.  I'm not sure the product they used, but it is a greasy substance, the consistency is like honey . They remove all the interior panels and coat the inside of the doors, fenders, tailgate, and hood. They also spray it everywhere on the underside of the truck.  It oozes and drips everywhere for the first several weeks, or the first few warm days.  It makes a big mess when it drips all down the grill, running boards, bumpers but it does clean up well with a rag and wd-40.  Even though its messy, I believe it offers the best protection from the salt, and since I usually keep my vehicles for 20 years, it is worth the initial mess. Aluminum may not rust like steel, but I would think it could still corrode after enough years in the salt

• Like 1