Ford to sell vehicles without features enabled

Depending on what features are unavailable, and for how long, will determine how upset I will be and the degree of compensation I will expect. I ordered a Platinum and expect the high tech standard features to be fully functional. If I didn’t want all the doo-dads, I would have ordered a lower trim level.

Edited by marinerjoe

44 minutes ago, marinerjoe said:

Depending on what features are unavailable, and for how long, will determine how upset I will be and the degree of compensation I will expect. I ordered a Platinum and expect the high tech standard features to be fully functional. If I didn’t want all the doo-dads, I would have ordered a lower trim level.

Don’t expect compensation in this current market. Say you order an f150 platinum and it has been sitting waiting for chips. Ford ships to your dealer but you refuse delivery since you want compensated for not having those features at delivery. Dealer in turn adds ADM and sells to the next guy who walks in the door telling him “in a couple months we will issue a ‘recall’ to bring it in and add the electronic modules to enable XYZ. 

Based on various comments it seems the massage/multi adjustment seat controls are a big hold up, RES across multiple suppliers too. I think GM had shortages for one of their fuel efficiency systems even (either cylinder deactivation or the electric air flaps in the grill). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HTownHog said:

Don’t expect compensation in this current market. Say you order an f150 platinum and it has been sitting waiting for chips. Ford ships to your dealer but you refuse delivery since you want compensated for not having those features at delivery. Dealer in turn adds ADM and sells to the next guy who walks in the door telling him “in a couple months we will issue a ‘recall’ to bring it in and add the electronic modules to enable XYZ. 

Based on various comments it seems the massage/multi adjustment seat controls are a big hold up, RES across multiple suppliers too. I think GM had shortages for one of their fuel efficiency systems even (either cylinder deactivation or the electric air flaps in the grill). 

I won’t refuse delivery on my F350. I have too much to lose:  a $3,000 PCO, a $500 military cash back, and an X-Plan agreement price protected to October 2021.  I will accept a couple of oil/filter changes to start with. And will negotiate for more depending on how long it takes to make the truck whole.

I would gladly just take the vehicle.  If that gets me the vehicle faster.  As long as the vehicle is safe and fully functional... even without the bells and whistles that I ordered especially if they say that it should be fixed within a year....

2 hours ago, marinerjoe said:

I wish covid had never existed, that Russia hadn't attacked democratic Ukraine, that there was no chip shortage, and that supply chains weren't significantly disrupted. Lots of wishes, but this is where we are including crippling inflation. Time to be grateful for what we have and adapt to the present issues, and they are huge. Patience is the key frame of mind now. Out of our control. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lukish19 said:

I would gladly just take the vehicle.  If that gets me the vehicle faster.  As long as the vehicle is safe and fully functional... even without the bells and whistles that I ordered especially if they say that it should be fixed within a year....

Actually, now I just read that it will be Explorers and Broncos?  I would think that there would be more models that could be shipped to alleviate the problem and keep the factories busy....

53 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I wish covid had never existed, that Russia hadn't attacked democratic Ukraine, that there was no chip shortage, and that supply chains weren't significantly disrupted. Lots of wishes, but this is where we are including crippling inflation. Time to be grateful for what we have and adapt to the present issues, and they are huge. Patience is the key frame of mind now. Out of our control. 

I'm not a prepper by any means, but seeing everything decay at such an insane rate makes me wonder if the apocalypse is legitimately on the horizon.

30 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm not a prepper by any means, but seeing everything decay at such an insane rate makes me wonder if the apocalypse is legitimately on the horizon.

The internet sure makes it seem that way-it also makes me wonder if that is part of the reason why its happening. The vast majority of the things on the internet that gain peoples attentions are things that are far right or left of center-when it comes to almost anything. 

Just looking at news headlines that use shock value to make you click on them is a good example of this...people need to learn how to moderate the BS that is flung at our way, but also these same people don't want use any critical thinking skills to figure out what is the truth or BS.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The internet sure makes it seem that way-it also makes me wonder if that is part of the reason why its happening. The vast majority of the things on the internet that gain peoples attentions are things that are far right or left of center-when it comes to almost anything. 

Just looking at news headlines that use shock value to make you click on them is a good example of this...people need to learn how to moderate the BS that is flung at our way, but also these same people don't want use any critical thinking skills to figure out what is the truth or BS.

This is so true.  It seems that the shock value is what is running things instead of common sense....

32 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

If Putin starts lobbing Nuclear weapons into Europe, you may be right. I still remember the Cuban Missile Crisis and how tense it got until Russia backed down. It got so tense, I remember walking into a church as a 14 year old and just praying and hoping Detroit wasn't on Russia's target list. 

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So you think what Ukraine is going through right now is exaggerated by the media? Schools, hospitals, and residential areas being blown up. Fleeing civilians being shot at by Russian soldiers. Ukraine soldiers fighting back. Cities slowly being destroyed. 2.8 million so far escaping to safety. Chances of war widening growing by the day let alone nuclear power plants melting down. What a heartbreaking, soul crushing tragedy. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

So you think what Ukraine is going through right now is exaggerated by the media? Schools, hospitals, and residential areas being blown up. Fleeing civilians being shot at by Russian soldiers. Ukraine soldiers fighting back. Cities slowly being destroyed. 2.8 million so far escaping to safety. Chances of war widening growing by the day let alone nuclear power plants melting down. What a heartbreaking, soul crushing tragedy. 

If it bothers you that much, maybe you should tune it out-it will be much better for your mental health, unless your a news hypochondriac 

....and you completely missed my point...the press sensationalizes everything for ratings/$$$...it doesn't matter if its the Ukraine or who is screwing who in Hollywood. 

4 hours ago, marinerjoe said:

I won’t refuse delivery on my F350. I have too much to lose:  a $3,000 PCO, a $500 military cash back, and an X-Plan agreement price protected to October 2021.  I will accept a couple of oil/filter changes to start with. And will negotiate for more depending on how long it takes to make the truck whole.

that's actually rather humorous….

32 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If it bothers you that much, maybe you should tune it out-it will be much better for your mental health, unless your a news hypochondriac 

....and you completely missed my point...the press sensationalizes everything for ratings/$$$...it doesn't matter if its the Ukraine or who is screwing who in Hollywood. 

Don't think it's a good idea to tune out economic and foreign policy news. Now as for Hollywood and sports news, I could care less. I also care if my freedoms are being taken away. Don't care about political theatre either. And I care about local news that affects my community and state. So yeah, I know how to glean important news from the superfluous that sometimes infects the media at whatever level. For me, the last 6 years of news has been soulcrushing. Hard not to notice. Kind of like witnessing a 100 car pileup on the freeway that could have been avoided.

This is an interesting take.

I guess if you eventually get the featuers (I think I saw Ford is guaranteeing them within a year), its........ok......though I'm not thrilled at the idea of buying a brand new car and having half of it not working.

Do warranties then get extended by a year?  Because you don't know if an issue will pop up because you haven't been using feature XYZ until a year after initial purchase, but now you have a year less warranty?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

This is an interesting take.

I guess if you eventually get the featuers (I think I saw Ford is guaranteeing them within a year), its........ok......though I'm not thrilled at the idea of buying a brand new car and having half of it not working.

Do warranties then get extended by a year?  Because you don't know if an issue will pop up because you haven't been using feature XYZ until a year after initial purchase, but now you have a year less warranty?

That's a great question!  I would hope that as this is something that has never happened before that Ford could come up with some sort of warranty adjustment for those particular features....

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/14/ford-incomplete-vehicle-sales-chip-shortage/

Ford will ship some vehicles to dealers with missing features in an attempt to get some inventory into the hands of sellers despite ongoing supply issues, the company confirmed this week. Expanding on its previous move to ship some F-150s without their auto-stop/start functions, Ford has confirmed that some incomplete 2022 Explorers will be distributed to dealers too. 

This time around, the options in question appear to be mostly comfort-related, at least for now. The Detroit Free Press reports that Explorers will be shipped without controls for the rear climate system. Ford said that vehicles shipped with obviously missing features will get block-off plates to disguise their status. 

Dealers will theoretically be able to install these missing features at a later date, and Ford has said that customers will receive credits for the missing features, but when they will ultimately be available and how much of a discount Ford customers will get both appear to be up in the air for the moment. Ford says customers got a $50 credit for accepting delivery of F-150s without their auto-stop/start systems. 

It's also unclear just how Ford will handle the vehicles in the secondary market if their initial buyers fail to return their vehicles to have those items installed. This could make used-vehicle shopping even more of a minefield in the coming years, but at this point, we suppose anything beats the visuals of dozens — or hundreds — of SUVs being stockpiled in auxiliary lots while they await unavailable parts.

I’m not buying any vehicle that missing features that I want. I usually keep my vehicles around 5 years or so. That means I’d be without those features for possibly 20% of my ownership. That’s a big ask. If they aren’t compensating me for that 20% then I’m not buying. With that said, I can see how some are in a tight spot with this. Maybe you need a vehicle for work or your current vehicle broke down. In those situations you don’t really have the luxury to wait. 

• Like 1

So can someone clarify something for me? This story was added to some maverick forums stating that ford was going to sell Maverick's without some of the chips. But the articles they linked just refered to ford selling some of it's vehicles with some of the chips missing, thus, be vague and not alluding to any specific model. The only story mention special models mentioned the explorers and explorers alone, and even then, the changes were pretty mild. So are mavericks going to be effected by this or not? The forums made it seem that way, but there was no evidence suggesting this would impact the maverick directly, unless I missed something.

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

So can someone clarify something for me? This story was added to some maverick forums stating that ford was going to sell Maverick's without some of the chips. But the articles they linked just refered to ford selling some of it's vehicles with some of the chips missing, thus, be vague and not alluding to any specific model. The only story mention special models mentioned the explorers and explorers alone, and even then, the changes were pretty mild. So are mavericks going to be effected by this or not? The forums made it seem that way, but there was no evidence suggesting this would impact the maverick directly, unless I missed something.

I spoke with my dealer today and he said that dealers need to "opt" in to this program and they are hoping by doing so vehicles will come faster.  They were not sure which features and / or models would be affected but hoped to know soon.

22 hours ago, marinerjoe said:

A couple oil changes on a 6.7L is pretty good compensation!

• Like 1