Likes and Dislikes of Your Lincoln Corsair

After owning my 2021 Corsair GT for 6 months and putting 4500 miles on it here are my assessments:

PRO:

1. This car is fun to drive. The eCVT and electric drive give excellent smooth acceleration. On the highway, the 2.5L Atkinson cycle ICE gives plenty of throttle.
2. This car is comfortable to drive and ride in, including long trips. The massaging seats add to the experience. The seats are comfortable and the ride is smooth and quiet.
3. This car is beautiful. I get a LOT of compliments on it when I'm out and about. The interior is beautiful as well.
4. The Revel audio system is superior to just about any other manufacturer's audio system. SYNC, with all its idiosyncrasies, is still superior to most infotainment systems out there.  How about adding in the Revel Ultima audio system featured on other Lincoln vehicles?
5. Even though the Corsair is a compact CUV, there is plenty of passenger space. The cargo space is a little bit tight but I tend to carry too much stuff in the cargo area for those "just in case" moments.
6. The gas mileage is excellent. The combination of all electric mode and hybrid driving once the charge is depleted give excellent gas mileage in almost any condition.
7. The drive modes work as described. They aren't meaningless settings.
8. Lincoln Roadside Assistance is excellent. They were concerned for my safety first. They had a tow truck at my home less than an hour after I called them. A shout out to Tillis, who I spoke with at Lincoln Roadside Assistance a couple of times. She was awesome!
9. Bob-Boyd Lincoln in Columbus, Ohio is an excellent dealership. From the sales people to the service people, everyone is polite, respectful, friendly and responsive. Kelly Culbertson was my sales representative. He went above and beyond coming in on his day off so I could test drive a Corsair GT before mine was delivered. He also took a great deal of time once my vehicle was delivered going over all the features as well as helping me set up the PAAK.

CON:

1. The water that comes out of every nook and cranny after going through the carwash is a huge nuisance. I have a monthly fee I pay for unlimited washes. I spend a great amount of time using lint free cloths to dry my vehicle after it is washed. The water coming out of the liftgate and the small trim pieces at the rear quarterpanel areas is frustrating. It literally comes out for hours. I have used the vacuum at the carwash in an attempt to suck out the excess water and soap. It doesn't help. I have considered purchasing a portable air compressor to use to blow out the excess water and soap. I shouldn't have to go to these extremes to keep my vehicle looking good. PLEASE FIX THIS ON FUTURE MODELS!!!!! My dealer says everyone complains about this one thing. Damn it!!!
2. The funky "horns" on the lid to the center console are frustrating. I open the console only to hit one of the horns with my elbow causing the lid to close. This is a dumb design by someone who obviously didn't test it out prior to production approval.
3. The paint, while beautiful, chips and scratches way too easily. As someone who spent over 35 years in automotive plants as a supplier of OEM paint it really upsets me a luxury vehicle has such poor paint quality.
4. The lack of an engine cover is a huge oversight. The roar of the engine at low speeds is upsetting when the ICE initially kicks in. It isn't so noticeable on the highway. However, the inability to purchase an engine cover as a build option or in the aftermarket from the dealer is unacceptable. This is some dumb decontenting from bean counters.
5. I wish the panoramic sunroof were a lot more panoramic. It needs to open a LOT further.
6. It takes too long to charge even on a Level 2 charger. This has to be improved on future models. Taking 3.5 hours on a Level 2 charger to fully charge the HV batteries is just too long. I know this is a hardware/software issue but it needs to be addressed, especially since this vehicle will only travel ~28 miles in all EV mode.
7. The Preserve driving mode preserves battery charge but does so at a huge expense to gas mileage. A 25%+ reduction in gas mileage to preserve HV battery charge is unacceptable. It would be nice if the drive mode functions were easier to determine by popping up a small description on the driver's screen instead of mostly meaningless graphics, Preserve (gas mileage or EV power?). Also, it would be nice if the drive mode stayed as set until the driver changes it instead of defaulting to Normal each time the vehicle is stopped and powered down.
8. The 12V battery is not of very good quality. Early failure seems to be a common theme. Mine failed at 5 months. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealer because it couldn't even be jump-started. Also, there is no way to put the eCVT into neutral towing mode if the 12V battery has failed. There was no power to the dash to access the settings on the touch screen to get into neutral towing mode.

All things considered, I love this vehicle.  I hope Lincoln takes note of both the positives and negatives to make improvements on future models.

Edited by RedHoncho01
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

7. Having an issue with this and do not believe it is functioning as described.  The PRESERVE EV mode seems to only charge my battery at low HWY speeds and CITY driving. Once i am driving above 70 MPH and especially above 73 MPH, my EV continues to get depleted and does not charge.    

When I purchased the vehicle, I would have thought that it'd be possible to drive 300 miles and fully replenish the EV without any penalty in gas mileage.  Unfortunately, this is not the case. 

I find the display to be very rudimentary but in EXCITE mode where one can actually get an idea about what the Battery vs Gas contributions are and what the power usage is.   Hoping/praying for a software update that will make the screen significantly more useful, like the BMW PHEV or the Q5PHEV

Is it really impossible to jump start the vehicle if the 12V battery fails? I was told at the dealership that it is possible.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 1:20 PM, haro said:

7. Having an issue with this and do not believe it is functioning as described.  The PRESERVE EV mode seems to only charge my battery at low HWY speeds and CITY driving. Once i am driving above 70 MPH and especially above 73 MPH, my EV continues to get depleted and does not charge.    

When I purchased the vehicle, I would have thought that it'd be possible to drive 300 miles and fully replenish the EV without any penalty in gas mileage.  Unfortunately, this is not the case. 

I find the display to be very rudimentary but in EXCITE mode where one can actually get an idea about what the Battery vs Gas contributions are and what the power usage is.   Hoping/praying for a software update that will make the screen significantly more useful, like the BMW PHEV or the Q5PHEV

Is it really impossible to jump start the vehicle if the 12V battery fails? I was told at the dealership that it is possible.  

You CAN jumpstart the 12V battery but mine wouldn't jumpstart for me or two different tow truck drivers.  There are posts under the hood at the driver side firewall to connect the jumpers to.  The battery for the GT is in the hatch under the spare tire.  I found this out way after the fact.  I got a new battery and points for purchasing a new battery even though the battery was covered under warranty.

Edited by RedHoncho01