Tire Size: 295/65x20 vs. 35x12.5x20

I can't make up my mind on what size tire to throw on. It seems like a lot folks have been putting on 35x12.5x20 on these trucks and not having any issues, particularly if using a level kit. I'll be using Nitto Ridge Grapplers, a 1.5" leveling kit and some 20x9 Fuel Vapor Wheels with a +20 offset. I do not want the tires to stick out much if at all which has me second guessing my initial choice of 35x12.50. I'm wondering if the 295/65 (equates to 35.1x11.6 roughly) might be the better option, slightly taller, not quite as wide. I could also go with a 35x11.5.

I am a total newbie when it comes to all of this so my ultimate question is how will all of these affect my performance as a daily driver, ie MPG and wear and tear? I'll happily sacrifice some off road performance for better MPG and/or better longevity. Would the wider tire or the narrower tire be the better the daily driver in terms of MPG and wear?

Also, I've seen some discussions on how the various tires might affect payload. All of that is far beyond my comprehension though I suppose that is a factor but not a super important one for my purposes.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

7 hours ago, ChuckDiesel said:

I can't make up my mind on what size tire to throw on. It seems like a lot folks have been putting on 35x12.5x20 on these trucks and not having any issues, particularly if using a level kit. I'll be using Nitto Ridge Grapplers, a 1.5" leveling kit and some 20x9 Fuel Vapor Wheels with a +20 offset. I do not want the tires to stick out much if at all which has me second guessing my initial choice of 35x12.50. I'm wondering if the 295/65 (equates to 35.1x11.6 roughly) might be the better option, slightly taller, not quite as wide. I could also go with a 35x11.5.

I am a total newbie when it comes to all of this so my ultimate question is how will all of these affect my performance as a daily driver, ie MPG and wear and tear? I'll happily sacrifice some off road performance for better MPG and/or better longevity. Would the wider tire or the narrower tire be the better the daily driver in terms of MPG and wear?

Also, I've seen some discussions on how the various tires might affect payload. All of that is far beyond my comprehension though I suppose that is a factor but not a super important one for my purposes.

Going through the same thing on my truck but will be using OEM Platinum rims and a larger tire for summer. My thoughts so far from what I'm reading and the issue I have with the plow hanging lower than it was on my 2019, I'm gonna need to add a lift/level. The newer trucks running 35's need a minimum of a front level kit (2" or 2.5") for clearance/rubbing issues.

That said, I'm not a fan of the nose high look so I'll be adding larger blocks on the rear to keep the rake relatively stock.

Hate to do things twice.. Looking for input too.

I believe the 1.5” leveling kit should give the truck plenty of room to accommodate a 35, could be wrong though. Dealer seems to think it will as well. I am putting a Tremor air dam on there so that might make a difference in terms of rubbing on the extremely large stock air dam. My truck should be showing up in a week or two so I guess I’ll find out soon if nobody chimes in before then. 

Here’s a couple pictures for you so you can get an idea. You’ll be ok with a 1.5” level. I am running 20x10 with -18 offset and nitto 35x12.5. From the pics you can see it sticks out but it’s not much more than 1” if even that. If you go 20x9 you’d be nearly flush.

Edited by Evanl
Added pictures
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Evanl said:

Here’s a couple pictures for you so you can get an idea. You’ll be ok with a 1.5” level. I am running 20x10 with -18 offset and nitto 35x12.5. From the pics you can see it sticks out but it’s not much more than 1” if even that. If you go 20x9 you’d be nearly flush.

Thanks for the info @Evanl  The pics aren't showing up for me though. Do you mind reposting when you get a chance? I'd love to see your truck.

Well what do you know, my truck showed up at the dealer this morning! Had to make a call on the tire size pretty quickly, settled on 295/65x20 after talking through it with the guy at the dealership. Guess I can always swap them out for a different size down the road if I want to.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChuckDiesel said:

Well what do you know, my truck showed up at the dealer this morning! Had to make a call on the tire size pretty quickly, settled on 295/65x20 after talking through it with the guy at the dealership. Guess I can always swap them out for a different size down the road if I want to.

Congrats on getting your truck! Waiting for pics of the new truck with the fancy shoes..... :detective:

• Thanks 1

Good to hear! I’ll post as soon as it starts working. I don’t care for the ones where they get real wild about them being 3” or more outside the fender. I do however like mine where it’s just a little past, gives it one hell of an aggressive stance.

I also had it coated so i don’t worry about the rocks being thrown across the fenders and scratching it. Otherwise I’d left it flush.

@ChuckDiesel I added the photos above. Sorry it got to you so late. The first is looking down at the front fender and the 3rd is looking down the truck at the front fender. It looks like it sticks out more but that’s because of the fender. The middle Picture is more representative of what it really looks like.

10 hours ago, Evanl said:

@ChuckDiesel I added the photos above. Sorry it got to you so late. The first is looking down at the front fender and the 3rd is looking down the truck at the front fender. It looks like it sticks out more but that’s because of the fender. The middle Picture is more representative of what it really looks like.

Thanks @Evanl, those look great on your truck. I'm guessing mine will end up being pretty flush, we shall see. I've heard good things on the ceramic coating as well, something to consider. My brother just had his done and it looks great.

The ceramic certainly adds a deep gloss so it looks even better. Long term I have no idea.

I bet your wheels will end up flush. It will still look good. I would have been happy with that but took a chance of mild but not extreme like these others.

as far as mpg, I haven’t noticed a difference. At least enough to me but. As long as everything is done right and not cheaper out, should be good for wear and tear for a while. If you do the cheapest level then expect to start replacing ball joints etc in the near future. Like everything else, there’s a reason for the price one way or the other.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, ChuckDiesel said:

Hello Chuck, I believe you have made a decision but I'd like to send you my input. I currently own a 2014 f150 with a level/lift kit that lifted both the front and the rear roughly an inch to inch and a half. Doing this has allowed me to fit 35x12.50x18s without any trimming. The tires slightly rub the upper control arm at full lock but I try to avoid the full lock anyway and haven't noticed any trouble 10,000 miles in. My point being that the Super Duty trucks leveled have even more room. Ive seen leveled F-250s on 37s actually with stock wheels. Im planning on running that myself. I think it is similar as 37s rub the UCA on full lock but are fine otherwise and require no trimming. They will both definitley take a hit to MPG. I maybe 1-2 mpg. But especially if you have wider wheels to accommodate the larger width tires I think wear would be a non-issue. I run BFG KO2 tires now and they seem like they will go 50k miles. I have a friend that runs 37s on a 2017 F250 and consistently tows a large dump trailer, sometimes with a mini excavator inside the dump trailer. He does say that when he is towing a lot like that it causes the tires to wear more but I think that is kind of unavoidable. Just my opinion on it but if you went with 35s and have the level I dont think you will have any problems. 12.50s may still hit that control arm so i would just be cautious when going full lock. 

• Like 1