Better Order System

cc121

I don’t know if this would involve cutting dealers out of the process, but something has to be done about the ordering process. I suppose orders can’t be fulfilled in exactly the order they are placed. Maybe they could be among the trim levels. For example if ordered a Lariat it would be placed in a Lariat queue and the upper and lower trim levels may be in their own queues. The big problem seems to be the way allocations are handled with the dealers. 

45 minutes ago, cc121 said:

I don’t know if this would involve cutting dealers out of the process, but something has to be done about the ordering process. I suppose orders can’t be fulfilled in exactly the order they are placed. Maybe they could be among the trim levels. For example if ordered a Lariat it would be placed in a Lariat queue and the upper and lower trim levels may be in their own queues. The big problem seems to be the way allocations are handled with the dealers. 

It can’t be done that easily with normal vehicles.  Ford tried it with the Bronco launch but caved to dealer pressure.  

I think it can be done with BEVs going build to order only and I think they’ll create an entirely new order and tracking system to go with them thanks to their Google partnership.

I agree that the allocation system is screwed up.  If the manufactures want to really fix things they need to be more transparent about how their system works and where in the queue a customer's order is.  I do believe that the traditional dealer purchasing model we have been used to is going away.  I recently took a survey from GM after a vehicle purchase I made.  There were a lot of questions surrounding the purchasing process and I definitely got the feel they want to go to online ordering.

I was totally thrown off. I ordered online and place my deposit. I got the confirmation and it was societies with the dealership I selected. About a week later I reached out to the dealership just to check in and they said I needed to come in to actually place the order. WHHHYYYY

On 3/24/2022 at 7:48 AM, capitandiablo76 said:

I agree that the allocation system is screwed up.  If the manufactures want to really fix things they need to be more transparent about how their system works and where in the queue a customer's order is.  

It not that simple.  There is no “national queue”.  Each dealer has their own queue that they manage.  Ford manages the allocations each week to each dealer.  They tried a national queue with Bronco but in the end it didn’t work.   Maybe they can do it with BEVs.

5 hours ago, amtrucker22 said:

I was totally thrown off. I ordered online and place my deposit. I got the confirmation and it was societies with the dealership I selected. About a week later I reached out to the dealership just to check in and they said I needed to come in to actually place the order. WHHHYYYY

The website clearly tells you to place the order with your dealer because Ford doesn’t set your price - the dealer does.  

10 hours ago, akirby said:

The website clearly tells you to place the order with your dealer because Ford doesn’t set your price - the dealer does.  

I am just not sure what the purpose of placing the order online when you still have to go in to the dealer to have them 'redo' it.  It really just adds confusion to the process.

10 hours ago, amtrucker22 said:

I am just not sure what the purpose of placing the order online when you still have to go in to the dealer to have them 'redo' it.  It really just adds confusion to the process.

It just helps document exactly what you want.  I see where it could be confusing for a new buyer.

• Like 1

The issue I have (in Canada) is that I'm forced to go through the dealer to get updates. There is no online tracking.

I agree though with @amtrucker22 that at the very least, the order you placed online in the "build and price" feature should somehow be electronically linked to the dealer. You spend a lot of time at home putting together the perfect build only to have your sales rep redo the entire thing from scratch. Oh, and then WAS (I see they finally updated the site) the discrepency (at least in Canada) of having to build a MY21 online to then go to the dealer to build a MY22 (where some options have changed).

In 2022 and with the continued trend of direct consumer orders due to inventory shortages, there should be no reason for disconnected systems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think it would improve the purchasing process dramatically. I struggled with the salesman locally at two different dealerships and dreamt many times about just being able to go online and click order, especially when they are just doing the same thing on their end.