Order or buy off lot

I need some advice. We have found fools gold and an available super duty on a lot spec’d how we would order. They are selling at MSRP. My local dealership is willing to order and all me to use xplan bc of a previous relationship with them. With lead times the way they are and I don’t anticipate them getting better anytime in near future is xplan pricing worth the wait?!  I’m leaning with no, but we do have a great relationship with local dealer and don’t want to cause issues. 

That is the question -- pay MSRP (and probably additional garbage fees also forgone by X-Plan), or wait. In my case, a local Tucson dealer from whom I've bought 3 was playing the MSRP + 4K 'market adjustment' game and would not honor X-Plan even on a build, so he quickly became my ex-dealer and I ordered with X-Plan from a dealer from GA (whom I'd like to customize it anyway). Are you good with waiting 4-6 (or more?) months for a build? You only have a few days left with order banks now officially closing on 22's 4/1, so who knows when 23's orders will be open. Of course that may be another reason to wait and just build -- if you can handle the unknown there.

Edited by mtptuc

26 minutes ago, mtptuc said:

That is the question -- pay MSRP (and probably additional garbage fees also forgone by X-Plan), or wait. In my case, a local Tucson dealer from whom I've bought 3 was playing the MSRP + 4K 'market adjustment' game and would not honor X-Plan even on a build, so he quickly became my ex-dealer and I ordered with X-Plan from a dealer from GA (whom I'd like to customize it anyway). Are you good with waiting 4-6 (or more?) months for a build? You only have a few days left with order banks now officially closing on 22's 4/1, so who knows when 23's orders will be open. Of course that may be another reason to wait and just build -- if you can handle the unknown there.

That is definitely part of the equation. MSRP + a bunch of dealer add on stuff that we were not aware  of initially. Thanks for the info on the order banks. That was good info I wasn’t aware of. So many decisions ?

Personally, I prefer to conduct business with a dealer I have built a relationship with. My current dealer relationship is now about 15 yrs and this will be new vehicle number 8 or 9. Reading some of the horror stories about others experiences only confirms this preference.

If I needed the truck right now and couldn't wait, then I would take the deal off the lot. However, if I was happy with the waiting, I would continue to expand the relationship with the current dealer, who is also offering an x-plan price. Continuing with the relationship may also assist with future vehicle purchases.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Absolutely no reasonable person or dealer would blame you the least bit for buying a truck off the lot. They are acutely aware of the current wait times.

If you ordered a truck today you probably wouldn't get it until late this fall, if even this year. When my truck is delivered, which isn't even built yet, but assuming it stays on schedule, it'll be over 9 months.

If you get lucky and the world suddenly pulls itself back to some semblance of functioning, you'd likely still be looking at fall.

X-Plan will probably save you about $5k. So your real decision here is pay $5k for a sure thing or wait who knows how long and maybe or maybe not get a 22MY truck at all.

If I were in your position, I'd buy the truck. My local dealer just had a Tremor show up -- they didn't even get it on the lot before they sold it with a $20k markup. $100,670 for a F250 Tremor, gone before it was out of prep. 

Its depends on your current financial well being... If YOU can afford the cost of the new truck at MSRP, go for it....

Are they charging any stupid Current Market Value upcharges?  With the SD orders thee way they are, you may be hard pressed to get into the MY2022... there has to be a time when they cancel and tell you to order the 23 version... kind of like i heard them doing to folks with my2021 F150's on order... but then again, that was only heard on here, not sure if it actually happened???

Money in hand + need/want new truck = new ride in driveway

Well, we ultimately decided not to buy it. We will probably regret it, but that's life haha. The salesman was so confused as to why in the world we weren't going to buy it. It was probably the best spec'd and best deal anywhere in the US right now. We may hold off and see what the '23 updates bring and then begin the long process of ordering one. Thanks y'all for the advice. 

Edited by xraytek22

2 hours ago, xraytek22 said:

Well, we ultimately decided not to buy it. We will probably regret it, but that's life haha. The salesman was so confused as to why in the world we weren't going to buy it. It was probably the best spec'd and best deal anywhere in the US right now. We may hold off and see what the '23 updates bring and then begin the long process of ordering one. Thanks y'all for the advice. 

Might as well place an order for a 22 now. If it doesn’t get built, you might get a spot in line for a 23 before others.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:54 AM, mtptuc said:

GA? Why didn't you just buy from Oracle Ford? They will take X-plan and the sales tax is lower.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:38 PM, westernsky said:

Might as well place an order for a 22 now. If it doesn’t get built, you might get a spot in line for a 23 before others.

I'm tempted to place an order for a 22 knowing it might get rolled over to a 23. The challenge would be when to put my 22 up for sale and how much will it be worth at the time.

We were in a spot where we couldn’t find an in-stock truck with the features we wanted.  So after a dozen close calls, we decided we would order exactly what we wanted, but then Ford eliminated all but the most basic options available a couple of weeks ago.  

Our local dealer said it was due to supply/commodity issues as well as the current order backlog.  They are trying to push through as many “simple” orders as possible and reserve limited supplies of certain options for long-delayed orders.  In theory it could speed things up for everyone.  

So anyway, we got lucky with timing and caught a dealer ordered truck that had barely hit production 2 weeks ago and hadn’t been scooped up yet.  It has all the options we wanted plus a few we didn’t care about (but didn’t add much cost), so we put a deposit down, they marked it sold and right now it is supposed to be on a train somewhere between KTP and the CSX TDSI ramp in Massachusetts.  They suspended X-Plan for the time being at this dealership, so the price is sticker, no negotiation.  Alternative was wait up to 32 weeks if we ordered a truck today without any of the features we want.  

On 3/27/2022 at 10:46 AM, Robin Hood said:

GA? Why didn't you just buy from Oracle Ford? They will take X-plan and the sales tax is lower.

I believe you pay sales tax in your home state/county regardless of where you purchase.  At least that’s how it works in GA.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

I believe you pay sales tax in your home state/county regardless of where you purchase.  At least that’s how it works in GA.

It is my understanding that he is in Tucson, AZ. If he buys anywhere in the state he will pay the tax rate at that dealership, not his address. If he buys out of state he is suppose to pay the tax at his address to AZ. If he ends up paying the tax in GA then AZ will give him a credit towards the tax due in AZ. If he paid more than is due based on his address then he will not pay any additional tax in AZ.

My point was that Oracle Ford has one of, if not the lowest tax rate in AZ, they are a small dealership and accept X-plan. If you live in AZ, they are a very good option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

In fact, if the lot doesn't do it right, you get to pay sales tax in the state you purchase AND ALSO in your own state if you live in Kansas.  I've been in that boat, not a good time.

BUY THE TRUCK!!!  You know what they say..................a bird in the hand will poop on you.