Stellantis revives inline-six engine; 2 twin-turbo engines debut this year

Harley Lover

My goodness, I guess they didn't get the memo that IC is dead: 

Stellantis said Friday its new Hurricane 3.0-liter twin-turbo six-cylinder engine — designed and engineered from a clean slate — fits front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles such as the Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, Ram pickups and the Dodge Durango SUV.

Micky Bly, the company's head of propulsion systems, told reporters the new engine will help Stellantis reduce carbon dioxide output as part of a transition to electric vehicles. Stellantis, he said, wants EVs to account for half of its U.S. sales by the end of the decade.

Micky Bly, the company's head of propulsion systems, told reporters the new engine will help Stellantis reduce carbon dioxide output as part of a transition to electric vehicles. Stellantis, he said, wants EVs to account for half of its U.S. sales by the end of the decade.

Bly said the dual overhead cam, aluminum block sixes reduce CO2 output as much as 15 percent compared with similar or larger engines in the Stellantis lineup. That would include the 3.6-liter V-6 engine. The new engines will also boost fuel economy about 15 percent over the engines they replace, although Stellantis did not identify which ones those are.

"Internal combustion engines will play a key role for years to come, and we owe it to our customers and the environment to provide the cleanest, most efficient propulsion possible," Bly said.

The standard-output six is expected to produce more than 400 hp, while the high-output version will make more than 500 hp. The torque ratings are 450 pound-feet for the standard engine and 475 pound-feet for the high output motor. Those ratings surpass those of the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 offered in various Jeep and Ram vehicles. That motor makes 357 hp and 390 pound-feet of torque. The V-6 engine is rated at 293 hp and 260 pound-feet of torque.

This sounds like a really strong engine and a very good replacement for the V6. Many attributes that are favorable. More details at the link.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/stellantis-revives-inline-six-engine-2-twin-turbo-engines-debut-year?utm_source=dont-miss&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220325&utm_content=hero-headline

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

This sounds like a really strong engine and a very good replacement for the V6. Many attributes that are favorable. More details at the link.

My understanding is it will replace the 5.7 and 6.4L Hemis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

They got the memo. Hurricane inline 6 is expected to be the final "clean slate" ICE from Stellantis as the company accelerates its electrification plans.

I guess you missed this quote, I'll repeat it for you with key portion highlighted: 

"Internal combustion engines will play a key role for years to come, and we owe it to our customers and the environment to provide the cleanest, most efficient propulsion possible," Bly said.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:41 PM, Harley Lover said:

I guess you missed this quote, I'll repeat it for you with key portion highlighted: 

Thanks, but I read that quote. Even with the extremely low standard that Mr. Bly mentioned, "EVs to account for half of its U.S. sales by the end of the decade", there is no compelling reason for Stellantis to develop any more "clean slate" ICE from this point on and there is no indication they will.

Stellantis' existing engine families, including Hurricane inline 6, should soldier on until the company's global vehicle lineup is 100% electric. 

Edited by rperez817

7 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/stellantis-revives-inline-six-engine-2-twin-turbo-engines-debut-year?utm_source=dont-miss&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220325&utm_content=hero-headline

According to this article, it's only replacing the Hemis:

500+ hp Stellantis 'Hurricane' I6 previews a world without Hemis (autoblog.com)

In fact, the company's propulsion team stayed incredibly tight-lipped about what to expect in terms of applications. In practical terms, it will fit anywhere the 3.6L Pentastar V6 or Hemi fits, provided you're talking about RWD platforms. For those who want to do their own measuring, the standard output Hurricane measures 33.4 inches x 28.7 inches x 32.7 inches. The high-output checks in at 33.9" x 29.0" x 33.4".

I agree with the Autoblog article, it's no doubt too long to be used in transverse applications.

I would bet that they'll still make the Hemis for use in the Ram 2500/3500.

Edited by AGR

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

I remember when the 6.2L BOSS V8 debuted at Ford...originally named "Hurricane"....that name was dropped due to the devastation Hurricane Katrina wreaked on Louisiana....

That was my first thought too. Probably a good idea at the time. It will be interesting to see how the Mopar fans will react to this new I6 engine.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2022 at 4:31 PM, rperez817 said:

Hurricane 510 engine in 2022 Grand Wagoneer 4WD is rated at 14 mpg city, 20 mpg highway, 17 mpg combined. For comparison, Grand Wagoneer 4WD with 6.4L V8 is rated at 13 mpg city, 18 mpg highway, 15 mpg combined. 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer's Inline-Six Gets Better MPG Than the V-8 (caranddriver.com)

At $5 per gallon, the cost of the I6 option could be recouped in 4 or 5 years.  Not bad considering it has additional horsepower and torque.  Missing that V8 hemi rumble, though.  Something larger, say 3.5L, may get better milage, though as it doesn’t need as much boost and fuel enrichment.  They probably want to use it globally where keeping displacement under 3L has tax advantages