Stellantis inline 6

ford-fg-falcon-cylinder-head.jpg

ford-barra-engine.jpg

Ford had the 4.0 liter Barra DOHC 4-valve I-6 Turbo developed by Ford Australia, produced an easy 400 hp/400 lb with port injection and 10 lbs of boost. These engines are capable of making insane levels of power…

under all of the development work, this I-6 retains the original bore spacing of the 144/170/188/200/221/250 I-6s of the 1960s and 1970s

The first major change came with a Cleveland styled cantered valve cross flow head in 1976

followed by Single Overhead Cam two valve head in 1988 and then the Barra DOHC 4-valve in 2002

200xflow2.jpg

headmod1.jpg

DocsDisplay?zgId=672825763&mode=inline&b

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford had the 4.0 liter Barra DOHC 4-valve I-6 Turbo developed by Ford Australia, produced an easy 400 hp/400 lb with port injection and 10 lbs of boost. These engines are capable of making insane levels of power…

under all of the development work, this I-6 retains the original bore spacing of the 144/170/188/200/221/250 I-6s of the 1960s and 1970s

The first major change came with a Cleveland styled cantered valve cross flow head in 1976

followed by Single Overhead Cam two valve head in 1988 and then the Barra DOHC 4-valve in 2002

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, we had a local racer that ran Ford I-6 power and no one could figure out how his engine was so strong until one day, it dawned on the inspectors at the track that he was running one of those "trick Aussie crossflow heads"...his motor was banned after that....

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, we had a local racer that ran Ford I-6 power and no one could figure out how his engine was so strong until one day, it dawned on the inspectors at the track that he was running one of those "trick Aussie crossflow heads"...his motor was banned after that....

For those interested, the cross flow six was introduced as Australia went to first exhaust emissions, similar to USA ‘72 with leaded fuel and EGR. We also went to DIN engine measurement which was similar to US nett, all accessories, air cleaner and exhaust, so comparable.

US 1972 250 I-6 99 hp@3600, 184 lb ft @1600

Aus 1976 4.1 I-6 123hp@3900, 216 lb ft @1900

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

So the 240/300 six had no relationship to this block??

From what I understand, that’s correct.  The 240/300 was a bigger engine physically. 

Side note:  In the early 70’s, a few drag racers made cross flow cylinder heads for the 300 based on Cleveland heads. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

So the 240/300 six had no relationship to this block??

Correct, this was the great grandson of the thrift master six with 4.08” bore spacing.

the 240/300 inline six had 4.48” bore spacing and about 3” longer than the 250 I-6

I do believe that both Ford Australia and US drag races took inspiration from the

Cleveland head design to further breathing of the small  and bi six.

Edited by jpd80

The only in-line six I ever owned was a 4.9L (300 ci) in a full size Bronco that I bought new in 1980. It came with the NP-435 4-speed manual trans which had a creeper 1st gear and no overdrive. It also had a 3.50:1 axle ratio. That miserable thing had a one-barrel carb and was absolutely awful on the highway in that type of vehicle. It was fine off-road but a slug otherwise. It maxed out at about 4500 rpm so if you got behind a slow moving vehicle on any of the two lane roads in this area you had better hope for a REALLY long straightaway before pulling out to pass because the only thing you could do was lug it out in high gear. Downshifting to 3rd gear only slowed it down. It was my primary vehicle at the time and I absolutely hated that thing. The gear drive for the camshaft made more noise than the exhaust.

It had a whopping 16k miles on it when I yanked that boat anchor out and replaced it with a 351C with a 4-barrel, cam, long tube headers and dual exhaust. Problem solved and I kept that Bronco for about fifteen years.

The best thing I could say about that generation of the 300 was that it had the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block V8s including the 351C.

I'm sure later versions with FI were much better but early '80s technology did that engine no favors.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

The best thing I could say about that generation of the 300 was that it had the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block V8s including the 351C.

I'm sure later versions with FI were much better but early '80s technology did that engine no favors.

Having had an 82 Econoline 150 with the 300 I-6 and 1bbl carb, then replacing it with a 90 Econoline 150 with the same 300 I-6 but with FI was like night and day in terms of drivability.

Greener, more powerful inline six is set to replace group’s long-serving Hemi V8

28 Mar 2022

STELLANTIS has unveiled details of its hotly anticipated Hurricane 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine. The twin-turbo charged mill is said to emit lower emissions and uses less fuel than larger displacement V8 engines, while delivering as much as 15 per cent more power and torque.

Stellantis says it will offer the engine in two states of tune – one designed for efficiency and the other for performance – and that the architecture is futureproofed to accommodate the hybridisation of the driveline in line with the group’s Dare Forward 2030 strategic plan.

In Standard Output (SO) form, the Hurricane unit provides “more than 400hp (298kW) and 450lb-ft (612Nm)” at 22psi (1.5bar) boost while the High Output version promises “more than 500hp (373kW) and 475lb-ft (644Nm)” at 26psi (1.8 bar) boost. Compressions ratios for the duo are listed at 10.4:1 and 9.5:1 respectively.

Stellantis says the motor’s output characteristics and ratings will vary based on which models it powers and that the first I6 powered variants will reach US dealership showrooms this year.

The Hurricane unit can be tuned to offer at least 90 per cent of its peak torque figure from 2350rpm through to redline, courtesy of a pair of low-inertia, high-flow turbochargers, each of which feeds three cylinders.

Turbocharger cooling comes via an engine-mounted water-to-air charge cooler, while innovative dual water-cooled exhaust manifolds are integrated within the cylinder head.

The dual overhead camshafts feature wide-range fully independent variable valve timing to maximise efficiency at lower engine speeds, while the fuel injection system is rated to 5075psi (350 bar). The engine also benefits from the application of a low-friction Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) to the cylinder bores; this is said to offer ten times the durability of cast-iron sleeves.

The all-aluminium unit incorporates an alloy oil pan and features cross-bolted steel main bearing caps to contain the strong rotating forces generated by the Hurricane’s forged-steel crankshaft and -connecting rods.

An idle-stop system with a “robust starter motor for quicker restarts” is also featured, Stellantis says, while both the lubrication and cooling systems operate on-demand to reduce frictional and mechanical losses.

Built at the group’s Saltillo Engine Plant in Mexico, the 3.0-litre Hurricane twin-turbo I6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-litre I4 found in selected Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee 4xe variants.

It will make its way into future models, including those built on the group’s STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms, within the next 12-36 months.

“As Stellantis aims to become the US leader in electrification, with a 50 per cent battery-electric vehicle mix by 2030, internal combustion engines will play a key role in our portfolio for years to come, and we owe it to our customers and the environment to provide the cleanest, most efficient propulsion possible,” said Stellantis head of propulsion systems Micky Bly.

“The Hurricane twin-turbo is a no-compromise engine that delivers better fuel economy and an important reduction in greenhouse gases without asking our customers to give up performance.”

stellantis-just-dropped-its-own-2jz-twin

Edited by jpd80

On 4/9/2022 at 7:21 AM, jpd80 said:

Greener, more powerful inline six is set to replace group’s long-serving Hemi V8

28 Mar 2022

STELLANTIS has unveiled details of its hotly anticipated Hurricane 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine. The twin-turbo charged mill is said to emit lower emissions and uses less fuel than larger displacement V8 engines, while delivering as much as 15 per cent more power and torque.

Stellantis says it will offer the engine in two states of tune – one designed for efficiency and the other for performance – and that the architecture is futureproofed to accommodate the hybridisation of the driveline in line with the group’s Dare Forward 2030 strategic plan.

In Standard Output (SO) form, the Hurricane unit provides “more than 400hp (298kW) and 450lb-ft (612Nm)” at 22psi (1.5bar) boost while the High Output version promises “more than 500hp (373kW) and 475lb-ft (644Nm)” at 26psi (1.8 bar) boost. Compressions ratios for the duo are listed at 10.4:1 and 9.5:1 respectively.

Stellantis says the motor’s output characteristics and ratings will vary based on which models it powers and that the first I6 powered variants will reach US dealership showrooms this year.

The Hurricane unit can be tuned to offer at least 90 per cent of its peak torque figure from 2350rpm through to redline, courtesy of a pair of low-inertia, high-flow turbochargers, each of which feeds three cylinders.

Turbocharger cooling comes via an engine-mounted water-to-air charge cooler, while innovative dual water-cooled exhaust manifolds are integrated within the cylinder head.

The dual overhead camshafts feature wide-range fully independent variable valve timing to maximise efficiency at lower engine speeds, while the fuel injection system is rated to 5075psi (350 bar). The engine also benefits from the application of a low-friction Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) to the cylinder bores; this is said to offer ten times the durability of cast-iron sleeves.

The all-aluminium unit incorporates an alloy oil pan and features cross-bolted steel main bearing caps to contain the strong rotating forces generated by the Hurricane’s forged-steel crankshaft and -connecting rods.

An idle-stop system with a “robust starter motor for quicker restarts” is also featured, Stellantis says, while both the lubrication and cooling systems operate on-demand to reduce frictional and mechanical losses.

Built at the group’s Saltillo Engine Plant in Mexico, the 3.0-litre Hurricane twin-turbo I6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-litre I4 found in selected Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee 4xe variants.

It will make its way into future models, including those built on the group’s STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms, within the next 12-36 months.

“As Stellantis aims to become the US leader in electrification, with a 50 per cent battery-electric vehicle mix by 2030, internal combustion engines will play a key role in our portfolio for years to come, and we owe it to our customers and the environment to provide the cleanest, most efficient propulsion possible,” said Stellantis head of propulsion systems Micky Bly.

“The Hurricane twin-turbo is a no-compromise engine that delivers better fuel economy and an important reduction in greenhouse gases without asking our customers to give up performance.”

stellantis-just-dropped-its-own-2jz-twin

As it seems most of the 150's dealers have in stock are 2.7 powered,  it would seem this motor is targeting the 2.7.  IMO Ford will have a fight on its hands going up against a straight 6.

7 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

As it seems most of the 150's dealers have in stock are 2.7 powered,  it would seem this motor is targeting the 2.7.  IMO Ford will have a fight on its hands going up against a straight 6.

I think that Ford has these engines covered with 3.5 Ecoboost & powerboost, the 3.0 Ecoboost & Powerboost in Explorer and the 2.7 EB which is now the default base engine, many ignore the base 3.3/3.5 V6 engine whichever it is can’t be bothered looking it up.

More to the point, Ram has to convince its V8 buyers to switch to the turbo six, Ford successfully  did that more than ten years ago.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2022 at 11:34 PM, jpd80 said:

I think that Ford has these engines covered with 3.5 Ecoboost & powerboost, the 3.0 Ecoboost & Powerboost in Explorer and the 2.7 EB which is now the default base engine, many ignore the base 3.3/3.5 V6 engine whichever it is can’t be bothered looking it up.

More to the point, Ram has to convince its V8 buyers to switch to the turbo six, Ford successfully  did that more than ten years ago.

I would imagine a lot of Ram buyers will embrace the inline 6 since they have been using a similar configuration with the Cummins diesel for years.

Based on the specs it looks like this will be a state-of-art design. It even uses PTWA spray bore cylinder liner technology. The part about each turbo feeding three cylinders sounds a little fishy though. I was expecting just the opposite with the exhaust from three cylinders powering each turbo. I didn't see any mention of cylinder deactivation but I suppose that could be aided by separating or dividing the incoming air. Interesting.

I also wonder how much of this design came from Stellantis' Euro partners? If the French had anything to do with it I would be suspicious of its reliability. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

. The part about each turbo feeding three cylinders sounds a little fishy though. I was expecting just the opposite with the exhaust from three cylinders powering each turbo. 

Well it’s a given that 3 cylinders are powering each turbo just like a v-6 twin turbo.  But a split intake would require two throttle bodies, right?  I think bmw was using a separate TB on each cylinder at one time if memory serves me.

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I saw a report that it only offered a 1-2 MPG improvement on the Hemi powered Grand Cherokee in its 510hp form.

That could be a problem with fuel economy targets tightening, I know they have to try something to stay in front rising pressure for better economy but a lot of the issue is the amount of weight being pushed in heavy vehicles. I have to say that I prefer Ford’s Powerboost approach as a way of adding low down torque and taking the emphasis off the ICE to get all the efficiency gains.

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That could be a problem with fuel economy targets tightening, I know they have to try something to stay in front rising pressure for better economy but a lot of the issue is the amount of weight being pushed in heavy vehicles. I have to say that I prefer Ford’s Powerboost approach as a way of adding low down torque and taking the emphasis off the ICE to get all the efficiency gains.

There is a new zf transmission that goes along with the I6 and supports mild 48v and full hybrid operation.  I think Stellantis will be ok.  They seem to be electrifying Jeeps left and right.

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I saw a report that it only offered a 1-2 MPG improvement on the Hemi powered Grand Cherokee in its 510hp form.

This compared to the 5.7?  If so, that’s a pretty decent improvement since it generates more power than the 475hp 392 hemi.  Every little bit helps.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how and why a straight six is inherently better than a 60 degree V6. 

My affection for inline engines comes from the fact they leave a little more space on each side for servicing. 

I think this engine will be great but I wonder how creative the engineers had to get to package the straight up cylinders all six in a row? 

Exciting engine though. 

15 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me how and why a straight six is inherently better than a 60 degree V6. 

My affection for inline engines comes from the fact they leave a little more space on each side for servicing. 

I think this engine will be great but I wonder how creative the engineers had to get to package the straight up cylinders all six in a row? 

Exciting engine though. 

Inline six cylinder engines are naturally balanced for primary and secondary vibrations and are inherently smoother than a 60 degree V6.  

1 hour ago, slemke said:

There is a new zf transmission that goes along with the I6 and supports mild 48v and full hybrid operation.  I think Stellantis will be ok.  They seem to be electrifying Jeeps left and right.

They have too, time is catching up with them.

The only concern I have is the higher levels of boost being used, not in terms of structural integrity but more about the level of enrichment required to avoid detonation, either 93 or enrichment and delayed spark. The other problem is boost tip in under part throttle running but in saying that, there’s no stopping Ecoboost from having more boost……..,,