Towing Corsair Grand Touring in Emergency, Error or Emergency Situations

This topic has come up a couple of times on other forums. It is strictly for the Grand Touring model of the Corsair and does not apply to the standard or reserve models. Tell Lincoln Roadside Assistance you need a flatbed tow truck with dollies or skid plates. Explain this is a PHEV and cannot be towed by conventional tow trucks. Otherwise, they will send a tow truck with a tow hook.

1. This vehicle has an eCVT. The transmission is electronic and is based upon licensed Lexus technology. There is no manual parking brake release tether under the dash or in the console that you may find in the standard and reserve models that have the 8 speed transmission or referenced on YouTube videos. This is important information to pass along to the tow driver when they arrive.

2. Because the transmission is electronic the vehicle must be placed into Neutral Tow mode. Page 234 for 2021 or page 258 for 2022 states to not tow your vehicle in the Stay In Neutral mode. Stay In Neutral mode is activated by depressing the Neutral button twice and should be used for brief situations like going through a carwash. A notification will appear on the driver's display.

3. It is important to note the rear wheels will spin freely even with the vehicle off and placed into Park even though it is an AWD vehicle. The front wheels are locked when the vehicle is in Park. If you cannot get your vehicle into Neutral Tow Mode, the tow operator must place dollies or skid plates under the front wheels to avoid damaging the eCVT. NEVER allow a tow operator to drag your vehicle out of a garage or other space without dollies or skid plates under the front tires even for a few feet. Severe damage to the transmission may occur that is not covered under warranty.

4. Your Corsair GT should always be towed on a flatbed tow truck. While it can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, you must have the transmission in Neutral Tow Mode and the following conditions are observed: • The vehicle is facing forward so that it is towed in a forward direction. • Shift the transmission into neutral (N). If you cannot shift the transmission into neutral (N), you may need to override the shifter and enable Neutral Tow Mode. Failing to do so may result in damage to the transmission. • Maximum speed is 35 mph (56 km/h). • Maximum distance is 50 mi (80 km). This is referenced on page 332 - 333 of the 2021 Corsair GT owner's manual. The 2022 model is on Page 356. 2021 Page 333 gives instructions on placing the vehicle in Neutral Tow Mode; 2022 is page 357. If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground: • Tow only in the forward direction. • Release the parking brake. • Switch off welcome lighting. See Welcome Lighting on page 108 for 2021 or page 110 on 2022. • Place your vehicle in Neutral Tow mode with the following steps: • Switch your vehicle on in accessory mode (Press the start button without your foot on the brake). • Press the menu button on the controls on the steering wheel. • Select Settings. • Select Neutral Tow. • Follow the instructions on the information display. • Fully press the brake pedal. • Shift into neutral (N). • Switch the ignition off. • Note: Switching on Neutral Tow mode requires 12V battery power to tow in this manner. Should the 12V battery power drop below minimum charge the vehicle will automatically shift into Park.

I have extracted this information directly from the 2021 (second printing) and 2022 (first printing) owner's manuals. It is also based upon my personal experience from having a 12V battery failure while my GT was parked in my garage. If you see anything that is confusing or conflicting information, please feel free to correct my post. I attempted to be as thorough as possible but switching back and forth between the 2 model years owner's manuals was difficult.