Rail car destination same as truck?

SeanJ

So my truck is supposed to be coming to Houston area but the Union Pacific tracking says the rail car is going to Industry. I think that means City of Industry, CA, which is the only Industry on their system map. Does that mean the truck will be unloaded along the way? I’m confused.

It's very unlikely that they are sending your truck to CA only to truck it to Texas.

Usually a package is going to have a ramp code, not a city name, for it's destination. Those are generally 2 or 3 characters. 

UP does have a rail that runs just South of Industry, TX, through New Ulm, TX. Seems unlikely that's it's destination, either, but there's no telling. The track does split there, so it could be an area they unload.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanJ said:

So my truck is supposed to be coming to Houston area but the Union Pacific tracking says the rail car is going to Industry. I think that means City of Industry, CA, which is the only Industry on their system map. Does that mean the truck will be unloaded along the way? I’m confused.

Sean, ask your dealership sales manager, they can tell you every stop the train will make from KTP or Ohio to end of the route.  I asked mine today and he revealed every stop from KTP to final stop on route, .  My truck just so happens to be at the end of the route.  For example, he said there is one stop in Kentucky, 2 stops in TN, then 1 stop in GA, then two stops in SC, one in Greenwood with final stop at Cayce near Columbia with cars then being moved to Dixiana for ramp drop off.  From there, the remaining vehicles at end of the stop are loaded onto car carriers and sent out to many dealers in the area.  He explained that a typical train route has like 70 vehicle train cars with 10-12 vehicles on each train car, so like 700 vehicles on the Southern route with several unloads along the way.  The dealer should always be our first point of contact, like Ice and akirby say incessantly, let the dealer earn their money.  Before all these custom orders were the norm, the dealer or order team had to keep up with all the same things we're now fretting about and they charged for all that in their profits.  With more custom orders, it may be easier for the dealer, the vehicle is sold before they even get started and very little to no price haggling.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the great info and advice.  I thought I would get emails when people replied but I didn’t. So it turns out that “Industry” is a generic term referring to the industrial area at the destination.  It’s definitely going to Houston because it passed through AR today and ETA is Tuesday. 

With regards to my dealer, they seem to be annoyed with me and rarely return phone calls or provide updates so I’m just doing what I can on my own.  

On 3/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, SeanJ said:

I'm not sure Union Pacific is same as CSX but I called to find out where my train car is located, they said it's in Atlanta and will be at Industry on 4/1.  I asked what does it mean they will be at Industry, he said that means that's the final destination for that car for the specific customer being served, that would be Ford.  My dealer estimated the train car would be at Dixiana on 4/5, CSX says it will be at Dixiana on night of 4/1.  If this is accurate, truck should be at dealer on morning of 4/2 on Saturday.  If dealer can PDI on Saturday I may be able to close deal and drive home as late birthday gift, getting close now.  My dealer sales manager told me today he will need to re-appraise my trade since it's been four months, plus my credit union says rates have gone up, was 2.69%, now its 3.09%.

23 hours ago, FirstFord22 said:

@787Toolman you and I are both so very close to getting our girls! Mine is only 141 miles away at the CSX rail yard. Now how long it takes from there is a crapshoot, but I’m not complaining - just excited is all

well, by now, maybe your truck has been unloaded.  When you say yours is only 141 miles away, is your truck on the same train route as mine, my train car is TTGX710739?  My dealer reappraised my truck yesterday and says the original offer still stands after me adding another 3k miles.  I mentioned if the price of my trade went up, I guess he wouldn't mention that and he got a good belly laugh so I guess the value may have actually gone up but I'm okay with the original offer.  I have not called CSX again, maybe I will today but also, we're expecting very bad weather in the SE today so that may impact the train route or at least cause a delay, hopefully none of the train cars are hit by high winds or tornado of which the SE is being threatened.

6 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

well, by now, maybe your truck has been unloaded.  When you say yours is only 141 miles away, is your truck on the same train route as mine, my train car is TTGX710739?  My dealer reappraised my truck yesterday and says the original offer still stands after me adding another 3k miles.  I mentioned if the price of my trade went up, I guess he wouldn't mention that and he got a good belly laugh so I guess the value may have actually gone up but I'm okay with the original offer.  I have not called CSX again, maybe I will today but also, we're expecting very bad weather in the SE today so that may impact the train route or at least cause a delay, hopefully none of the train cars are hit by high winds or tornado of which the SE is being threatened.

My train car number is TTGX693553. The CSX automated system stated it was at Baldwin on Tuesday. I guess I’m not sure if that’s the final destination before it’s loaded onto a transport hauler or if it’s going to J’ville with your girl. We’re getting those storms tonight in the Tampa area. 

8 hours ago, FirstFord22 said:

My train car number is TTGX693553. The CSX automated system stated it was at Baldwin on Tuesday. I guess I’m not sure if that’s the final destination before it’s loaded onto a transport hauler or if it’s going to J’ville with your girl. We’re getting those storms tonight in the Tampa area. 

I've learned the final destination is called at industry when you ask about a specific car number.  My route and train car are currently in Atlanta but that was this morning, then Greenwood SC, then Cayce and finally to Dixiana for ramp unload.  Tuesday night CSX said they estimated my train car would be at Industry evening of 4/1, today they say don't know when that car will be at industry.