New Safety Features

Why aren't some safety features optional instead of standard?  Yes, I believe that seat belts, air bags are necessities and appreciate the blind spot control.  But on the flipside, the standards like crash assist & lane control seem to be geared to drivers that are unexperienced and are easily distracted.   

Welcome Melsbrat! All of the safety features you mentioned (seat belts, air bags, blind spot monitoring, crash assist/AEB, and lane control assist) have been proven to reduce the likelihood of injuries or traffic related deaths, and/or reduce the chance of a collision in the first place. In consumer surveys, potential new car customers indicated these features should be standard, not an extra cost option or as part of an options package.

Ford agreed, and a few years ago rolled out Co-Pilot360 as standard for most of its new or redesigned vehicles since 2019. Ford Co-Pilot360™: Most Advanced Suite of Standard Driver-Assist Technologies Includes Automatic Emergency Braking | Ford Media Center

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

I believe some of the advanced features like lane centering can be disabled deep in the settings on the center screen.  You should check it out. I have an escape with features mentioned in this thread and have gotten used the them after a few months. I believe they keep me safer and so does my insurance company as my rate went down compared to my old escape that didn't have such features.  but to each his own if you want to try turn them off.